Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   New T206 Cobb back discovery (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=245939)

Boccabella 10-09-2017 08:44 AM

New T206 Cobb back discovery

I guess you could call this "Son of Lucky 7 Find". Just one card this time, but the population of T206 Cobb backs has again grown:

https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.co...test-big-find/

Will be interesting to see where the market is now.
Some other tobacco cards were in this find, too.

sycks22 10-09-2017 08:48 AM

It's always fun to realize there are still big cards found everyday.

trdcrdkid 10-09-2017 08:57 AM

Wow, there was also a BL 460 in the same matchbox.

swarmee 10-09-2017 09:45 AM

Yeah, I saw the Cobb/Cobb posted by Joe Orlando on PSA's twitter feed a few days ago. Surprised it took this long to get cross-posted here.

MVSNYC 10-09-2017 01:51 PM

Cool find...but the registration on that Cobb, makes it rather tough to look at.

Republicaninmass 10-09-2017 01:53 PM

Halloween version

Rhotchkiss 10-09-2017 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MVSNYC (Post 1708798)
Cool find...but the registration on that Cobb, makes it rather tough to look at.

True, the front registration is brutal (scary), but it's is the back that matters.....

insidethewrapper 10-09-2017 06:21 PM

I'm sure it has been discuss multiple times, but why is the Cobb/Cobb back part of the T206 Set or labeled as a T206 ?

Doesn't it deserve to be in a "1 card" set, maybe labeled "Ty Cobb Tobacco Tin Insert ".

GasHouseGang 10-09-2017 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by insidethewrapper (Post 1708864)
I'm sure it has been discuss multiple times, but why is the Cobb/Cobb back part of the T206 Set or labeled as a T206 ?

Doesn't it deserve to be in a "1 card" set, maybe labeled "Ty Cobb Tobacco Tin Insert ".

Where would be the fun in that?:D

bnorth 10-09-2017 06:37 PM

Quote:

Probably to get more $ out of them. I have never had one in hand but from every account I have read the surface/finish of the card and the card stock used is different than what was used on T206 cards.

CW 10-09-2017 07:05 PM

Yep, Mike, it's been an ongoing debate for some time now, and I don't think there's ever been a consensus on the matter. If you do a search I can almost guarantee we've done a poll or two in the past. :)

rats60 10-09-2017 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 1708868)
Probably to get more $ out of them. I have never had one in hand but from every account I have read the surface/finish of the card and the card stock used is different than what was used on T206 cards.

It is also very likely that the card was printed and released well after other t206s. The Ty Cobb tobacco brand was owned by the FR Penn Tobacco Co. which wasn't part of ATC until after the US government broke up the company through an antitrust suit. ATC was hiding their relationship with FR Penn, so they wouldn't be caught up in the lawsuit. It seems unlikely to me that they would allow FR Penn to issue a card while to lawsuit was active, possibly exposing their relationship and bringing them into the suit and potentially forcing ATC to sell their interest in FR Penn.

MVSNYC 10-09-2017 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss (Post 1708822)
True, the front registration is brutal (scary), but it's is the back that matters.....

Ryan, I hate to disagree with you...if we're talking about a Murphy with EPDG back- yeah, sure, front doesn't matter much...but a card of this caliber, and iconic importance? Front matters too.

Jason 10-09-2017 09:11 PM

Great article I enjoy hearing about any prewar card finds. A few heavy hitters at that!

Sean 10-09-2017 09:24 PM

Quote:

Jefferson Burdick, who coined the term T206, originally included it in the set; that's why it is considered a T206. It is possible that Burdick never actually held one, and may not have known about the finish. Should it be in the set? That's open to debate. Much like the debate we have about T213 and T215 Type-1s.

3-2-count 10-09-2017 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MVSNYC (Post 1708887)
Ryan, I hate to disagree with you...if we're talking about a Murphy with EPDG back- yeah, sure, front doesn't matter much...but a card of this caliber, and iconic importance? Front matters too.

I'm with ya Michael. The front registration definitely matters.

Billy5858 10-10-2017 01:06 AM

Quote:

Um it’s a PSA 1 guys
I’m not getting your point
Of course registration matters
but the registration is awful along with staining thus it was
graded a PSA 1 the lowest grade there is without damage.
What else is there to do? Chuck it in the trash??
PSA 101

swarmee 10-10-2017 03:44 AM

Has it definitely been determined to be from the tins? I thought there was a good theory that these were given out at a corporate/promotional dinner in Georgia, and that's why so many continue to get found there.

pbspelly 10-10-2017 10:47 AM

Good to see great granddad Sullivan in the middle of that pile of discovered cards:)

insidethewrapper 10-10-2017 05:49 PM

With all the great minds and researchers on here , you would think we could find out how the Cobb/Cobb back cards were issued. Is it a promotional item, is it a Tin Insert, is it a T206 card etc. ? Someone must know the answer to this. Instead of calling it something it isn't ! Let's not call it anything until we know what it came from .

Reminds me of Scrapps Tobacco. No reason to call it that anymore, we know now how it was issued. It's not a tobacco issue.

Many still list Doubleday as the inventor of baseball and Columbus as discovering America. These myths must and have be replaced with the facts.

Hopefully the Cobb/Cobb back card will be listed appropriately when we find the answer based on information and data research.

tedzan 10-10-2017 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by insidethewrapper (Post 1709107)
With all the great minds and researchers on here , you would think we could find out how the Cobb/Cobb back cards were issued. Is it a promotional item, is it a Tin Insert, is it a T206 card etc. ? Someone must know the answer to this. Instead of calling it something it isn't ! Let's not call it anything until we know what it came from .

Reminds me of Scrapps Tobacco. No reason to call it that anymore, we know now how it was issued. It's not a tobacco issue.

Many still list Doubleday as the inventor of baseball and Columbus as discovering America. These myths must and have be replaced with the facts.

Hopefully the Cobb/Cobb back card will be listed appropriately when we find the answer based on information and data research.

Mike
The Ty Cobb/Ty Cobb back cards were issued circa Spring/Summer 1910. Check-out this Thread...... http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=122677

TED Z

Rhotchkiss 10-10-2017 07:41 PM

Quote:

Of course it does, but if I gave you the card, you telling me you would say no thanks? Maybe this card only goes for "only" $100k instead of $150k bc the front is banged up, but I can't wait for the day when my ugly cards sell for only $100k, and it will get that bc of the back.

insidethewrapper 10-10-2017 07:47 PM

Since most of these cards have come from about 3 owners , including a store owner, it doesn't seem possible they were inserted into a box or tin. Maybe a store owner was given a few to pass out to their friends or best customers and they got them all.

MVSNYC 10-11-2017 10:41 PM

Ryan, I luv ya brah, but first of all, no one is giving us $100k+ cards for free, so let's scrap that analogy. ;) I'm just saying, for that type of money spent, I want a well registered card. I'd rather take the 100k and buy a variety of other things, or even one special piece...but, man, it's gotta be in focus.

Republicaninmass 10-12-2017 04:47 AM

Does this mean the whole sheet Was out of focus? I can't remember seeing one similar. There could be a another whole hoard of these somewhere.

BRB

Going to check my sock drawer

hshrimps 10-12-2017 07:33 AM

^^^ Good pt. This Cobb has the worst front (not condition wise) ever.