Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Best investment in 5 years (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=243701)

rtsmith18 08-15-2017 05:56 PM

Best investment in 5 years

I have seen skyrocketing prices on signed vintage cards, as well as 1952 Topps and high grade rookies. What do you think the next trend will be? What will be a good investment to buy now and unload in five years?

autograf 08-15-2017 06:01 PM

Pork bellies

ullmandds 08-15-2017 06:08 PM

Topps t206.

Peter_Spaeth 08-15-2017 06:10 PM

Now that was funny.

Mountaineer1999 08-15-2017 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1691100)
topps t206.

Lolollolol. :D

bmattioli 08-15-2017 06:11 PM

Aaron Judge? But I'm a Redsox fan..

jb217676 08-15-2017 06:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Probably these little, fantastic, realistic works of fine art!

iwantitiwinit 08-15-2017 06:16 PM

T206 Plank. Can't remember the last one I've seen for sale.

Mdmtx 08-15-2017 06:17 PM

I can factually state what the best investment cards will be. And there is no doubt. My track record is flawless.

Anything I don't buy will appreciate at 30% annually.

sam majors 08-15-2017 06:18 PM

My investments

My future is tied up in POGS. Seriously, I have enough money to last me the rest of my life, as long as I die a few hours from now! ;) ;) ;)

Peter_Spaeth 08-15-2017 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mdmtx (Post 1691110)
I can factually state what the best investment cards will be. And there is no doubt. My track record is flawless.

Anything I don't buy will appreciate at 30% annually.

And anything I do buy will depreciate at a similar rate.

EvilKing00 08-15-2017 06:41 PM

investing in the Babe imo it pretty solid

Mdmtx 08-15-2017 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1691118)
And anything I do buy will depreciate at a similar rate.

Much like me. All actions have an equal and opposite reaction. Lol

Scocs 08-15-2017 08:12 PM

Plastics....

Peter_Spaeth 08-15-2017 08:19 PM

Lefty Gomez could heat up.

Pat R 08-15-2017 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iwantitiwinit (Post 1691109)
T206 Plank. Can't remember the last one I've seen for sale.

There was one in a Hunt/EBAY auction in July.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/172743040754?rmvSB=true

A Memory lane auction in May.
https://memorylaneinc.com/site//bids...e?itemid=42305

And one in Heritage in February.
https://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball-c...s?type=VCP7185

Kenny Cole 08-15-2017 10:10 PM

Fakes, counterfeits and altered cards. :( Those guys are making a shit ton of money. How depressing.

Topnotchsy 08-15-2017 10:37 PM

You have to ask yourself what factors lead to prices increasing over time. In general if people expected something to increase a lot in the future, they would be paying more for it now, so it likely needs to be something that is off people's radars.

Some things that drive prices up:

1) Player making the HOF (particularly for autographs) - Are there any players you anticipate may make the HOF who have been overlooked? Possibly someone in the Negro Leagues?

2) Modern player who performs well beyond expectations - Is there anyone who you really believe in that is not expensive now? Maybe a rookie or young star...

3) Cards or items that are "discovered" - A recent example is the 1925 Exhibits Lou Gehrig which people kind of rediscovered as Gehrig's rookie card and has jumped tremendously. Is there a player or card that is waiting to be (re)discovered?

cammb 08-16-2017 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1691100)
topps t206.

lol

ALR-bishop 08-16-2017 09:53 AM

rt---if I knew the answer to your question I would likely keep it to myself and be out buying whatever it was. But I honestly have no idea as to the answer.

Peter_Spaeth 08-16-2017 10:18 AM

Aaron Judge for sure.

The Nasty Nati 08-16-2017 07:34 PM

Honestly. 90s rare inserts are a good investment for players like Griffey, Ripken, Bonds, Chipper, and Thomas. The key inserts like Essential Credentials, Donruss Crusade, 1996 Select Mirrors, Skybox Red Rubies, 1999 24kt Gold, etc are selling at vintage prices and above these days and are only going to go up IMO.

Leon 08-17-2017 06:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by rtsmith18 (Post 1691096)
I have seen skyrocketing prices on signed vintage cards, as well as 1952 Topps and high grade rookies. What do you think the next trend will be? What will be a good investment to buy now and unload in five years?

I think the big hof'ers will continue to do well....and I especially like Cy Young as I don't think his card values have risen as much as the other big HOF'ers...

vintagechris 08-17-2017 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Nasty Nati (Post 1691490)
Honestly. 90s rare inserts are a good investment for players like Griffey, Ripken, Bonds, Chipper, and Thomas. The key inserts like Essential Credentials, Donruss Crusade, 1996 Select Mirrors, Skybox Red Rubies, 1999 24kt Gold, etc are selling at vintage prices and above these days and are only going to go up IMO.

I was going to say this as well. I have noticed it too. Harder to find inserts seem to keep going up. The demand is surpassing the supply IMO. On the football side, some of the Playoff inserts are hot. Great designs and limited quantities available. Try to find them at good prices and you will see what I mean.

Il Padrino 08-17-2017 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Nasty Nati (Post 1691490)

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagechris (Post 1691566)
I was going to say this as well. I have noticed it too. Harder to find inserts seem to keep going up. The demand is surpassing the supply IMO. On the football side, some of the Playoff inserts are hot. Great designs and limited quantities available. Try to find them at good prices and you will see what I mean.

I'm intrigued. What football items are you referring to?

I have tons of 90's baseball inserts but don't recall the ones you listed above. Are there others that are doing well?

KCRfan1 08-17-2017 11:10 AM

I don't recall the OP indicating if they were going to be the buyer, or if this is a random question.

Also, it would help if the OP said the dollar amount of the investment. At least we could have some direction to move in.....

Otherwise, buy a '52 Mantle, PSA 10.

drcy 08-17-2017 12:13 PM

Always remember that one's "investment" isn't based on the value of the item, but what YOU bought it for and what YOU sell it for. If you overpay for a item that goes up in book value you can lose money, and if you get a steal on an item that is flat in value you can make money.

A common investing mistake is picking what is a good investment then overpaying for it.

orly57 08-17-2017 04:47 PM

About a year ago, a thread similar to this one convinced me to pull the trigger on a 25 Exhibits Gehrig just before they blew up. I think that the commenter saw the 4 key elements in that card: 1. Legendary player 2. Undervalued card for years 3. Relatively rare and 4. it was a rookie card whether or not some acknowledged it as such. I don't know if there is a secret or a formula to finding "the next big thing," but I think those four elements, or a combination of a few, are probably a good bet.

bbcard1 08-17-2017 04:54 PM

I think a nice Seaver rookie has room. One could argue he's a top ten pitcher of all time and the 1967 set is attractive and aggressively collected, and it's a legitimately tough card.

ajjohnsonsoxfan 08-17-2017 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orly57 (Post 1691777)
About a year ago, a thread similar to this one convinced me to pull the trigger on a 25 Exhibits Gehrig just before they blew up. I think that the commenter saw the 4 key elements in that card: 1. Legendary player 2. Undervalued card for years 3. Relatively rare and 4. it was a rookie card whether or not some acknowledged it as such. I don't know if there is a secret or a formula to finding "the next big thing," but I think those four elements, or a combination of a few, are probably a good bet.

As is being discussed in another thread the 47 Bond Bread Jackie Robinson fits all those criteria. If anyone has one for sale let me know! :-)

DeanH3 08-17-2017 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajjohnsonsoxfan (Post 1691783)
As is being discussed in another thread the 47 Bond Bread Jackie Robinson fits all those criteria. If anyone has one for sale let me know! :-)

100% agree. Glad I snagged mine a while back.

http://www.net54baseball.com/picture...ictureid=19158http://www.net54baseball.com/picture...ictureid=19147

Gobucsmagic74 08-17-2017 07:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I concur. I really believe that one day the 1947 Bond Bread is going to be recognized as Jackie's true RC, everyone is going to want one, and then quickly realize there's only a little over 100 copies to go around compared to thousands of 1949 Leafs

By the way, that PSA 5 is amazing Dean! :eek:

DeanH3 08-17-2017 07:41 PM

Thanks Dan! Yours is quite stunning as well.

bbcard1 08-17-2017 07:42 PM

Of course the best way would be to find a player who is cheap and take a risk they will blow up. I would probably take a gamble on Jake Gatewood if I was going for the high risk category because he is cheap and young and made a good jump this year. He's still in high A ball, but he is showing signs of coming into his own and has potential to be a star. I saw him in a few games and like his bat speed. But it would be very high risk, high reward.

BeanTown 08-17-2017 10:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1691560)
I think the big hof'ers will continue to do well....and I especially like Cy Young as I don't think his card values have risen as much as the other big HOF'ers...

Completely agree. Judging by the Net54 poll of the most unbreakable MLB record, all the ingredients are there for it to rise.

vintagerookies51 08-17-2017 11:55 PM

The Bond Bread Jackie Robinson is immediately what came to my mind based on those 4 things says. Unfortunately I think only the Portait has the potential to be the next big card, as most of the others have too few in existence

esd10 08-18-2017 04:10 AM

I believe prewar baseball prices will drop based on the vintage collectors dieing out and this younger generation has no interest in these cards except for a couple of hofers.

rats60 08-18-2017 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esd10 (Post 1691899)
I believe prewar baseball prices will drop based on the vintage collectors dieing out and this younger generation has no interest in these cards except for a couple of hofers.

I think exactly the opposite. The people who saw Wagner and Cobb or Ruth and Gehrig are already out of the hobby. Guys who saw Williams, DiMaggio, J. Robinson, etc. will soon be leaving the hobby. I see demand remaining strong for prewar, but dropping for postwar cards with higher population numbers. Key Hofers from iconic sets like t206 and 1933 Goudey are going to continue to rise in value.

orly57 08-18-2017 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esd10 (Post 1691899)

That thought has crossed my mind in the past, but then I realized I grew up watching Wade Boggs, Ken Griffey Jr., and Cal Ripken. I never saw Pete Rose play, or much less Ty Cobb. I don't think it matters much whether we saw them play. There will always be guys who love baseball, value history, and love to collect. The guys who collect Mike Trout today will probably do the same. Maybe you are right, but I'm guessing that most guys who spend a ton of money on cards today never witnessed a Ted Williams at bat.

Davidlisa 08-18-2017 08:13 AM

I think 1952 Topps will always remain strong. In my opinion, the prices for signed cards are too high. In a lot of cases, a card of lower grade is used for autographs and I just don't think the signature in most cases adds that much value. Don't get me wrong some of these are very rare but I think this pricing is a bit too high. I think unopened product before 1980 will continue to grow in price and higher grade PSA HOF cards before 1970 in 8, 9, and 10 will continue to increase.

Gobucsmagic74 08-18-2017 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orly57 (Post 1691940)
That thought has crossed my mind in the past, but then I realized I grew up watching Wade Boggs, Ken Griffey Jr., and Cal Ripken. I never saw Pete Rose play, or much less Ty Cobb. I don't think it matters much whether we saw them play. There will always be guys who love baseball, value history, and love to collect. The guys who collect Mike Trout today will probably do the same. Maybe you are right, but I'm guessing that most guys who spend a ton of money on cards today never witnessed a Ted Williams at bat.

I don't even watch regular season baseball and haven't been an avid fan since the early 90's but it has no bearing on my interest in the history of the sport and the immortal players who played the game when it was truly America's favorite past time. I suspect that will continue for me indefinitely and will likely be the case for generations to come.

BeanTown 08-18-2017 02:34 PM

It's apart of American history. Baseball is Americas game. Now maybe 100 years from now soccer cards will go for crazy money taking place for baseball (I hope not), but until that day comes, baseball is here to stay. Collecting HOFers that have passed away and their stats are cemented into the record books won't ever change. If anything, these iconic players will become even bigger lengends, and part of our history that all people can embrace.

I think that's wishful thinking that the younger generation won't collect as passionately as we do, but I don't see any trend of that happening whatsoever. The same logic can carry over to stamps, coins, toys, comics, art, classic cars, wine, and just about any other collectible.

It's true the younger generation like to wear their art as a tattoos and the metal they collect are piercings. However, People like to be unique and have stuff that most others don't. For this reason collecting HOFers is a pretty good investment for years to come and we won't being seeing a dip anytime soon in our hobby.

orly57 08-18-2017 03:20 PM

Every older generation has thought that the younger generations are somehow different: more lazy, disrespectful, and less aware of history than their generation was. But men of all generations grow up, get a job, have kids, and gain a healthy respect for history.

2,400 years ago, Socrates had this to say about the younger generation:

"The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise."

Sean 08-18-2017 04:01 PM

I love that someone on Net54 can not only quote Socrates, but can relate the quote to baseball cards. :D

Republicaninmass 08-18-2017 04:03 PM

HEH

just saw a 47 bond bread in a 2 for 1500

Has that ship sailed?

insidethewrapper 08-18-2017 05:45 PM

Can you imagine the media coverage if a coin was put out by the US Mint with only a production of "100" or "10" or "1" ?? The demand would be great, it would be all over the news. Maybe the best investment is in the modern cards with very low production runs. The best investors have always said " buy when everyone else is selling !"

vintagerookies51 08-18-2017 05:52 PM

Early Ruth cards

Spike 08-19-2017 05:53 AM

A lot of hobby media attention today's on breaking unopened modern product, so not a big surprise to see parallel rise in vintage unopened prices. Wish I could get on the Cy Young bandwagon, except I don't see modern pitchers challenging any meaningful career records. Until someone gets close to a strikeout or franchise record that points back to the prewar era, too few people remember his significance. Home run and other hitting records seem to compare to the modern game in a way I'm not sure pitching does.

I think DiMaggio and a handful of other non-Ruth/Mantle Yankees are due for a resurgence, once they win another title.

GregMitch34 08-19-2017 07:32 AM

Aren't the Bond Bread cards for Jackie actually a series of 13--all now claimed to be "rookie" and equally rare and costly? Or no?

Gobucsmagic74 08-19-2017 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GregMitch34 (Post 1692297)
Aren't the Bond Bread cards for Jackie actually a series of 13--all now claimed to be "rookie" and equally rare and costly? Or no?

The only one being claimed as his rookie is the 1947 Bond Bread Portrait with facsimile autograph, which was the first card released and is believed to have been a promotional card for the rest of the series of 13, which were released between 1947-1950. The Portrait with facsimile differs in many ways from the other 12 in the set in that it has a unique back from the rest of the set which includes biographical information, higher population (as in 100+ graded examples), facsimile autograph and its release can be pinpointed to June-August 1947 by ads in African American newspapers. The other 12 have value in that they are extremely low pop, with some as low as approximately a dozen graded copies, but they stake no claim to the title of being his true RC...at least not as far as I'm concerned