Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   PSA Grading Fees at the National (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=337583)

rand1com 07-08-2023 10:41 AM

PSA Grading Fees at the National

$150 up to $2499 value by the end of the show - Collector's Club Exclusive
$250 up to $4999 value by end of day
$500 up to $14999 value by end of day

So there you have it!!

BeanTown 07-08-2023 10:44 AM

I normally don’t have my cards graded. Are those prices good, average or bad? Do you think it helps the seller realize their grading fees back?

rand1com 07-08-2023 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeanTown (Post 2354163)
I normally don’t have my cards graded. Are those prices good, average or bad? Do you think it helps the seller realize their grading fees back?

If you have very valuable cards, the fees may be worth it. You don't have to ship and insure both ways. If I had a card worth close to $14,999 that I really wanted to have graded, $500 by the end of the same day would be reasonable to me.

BeanTown 07-08-2023 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rand1com (Post 2354164)
If you have very valuable cards, the fees may be worth it. You don't have to ship and insure both ways. If I had a card worth close to $14,999 that I really wanted to have graded, $500 by the end of the same day would be reasonable to me.

Paying 500.00 for an opinion which seems to be political at times doesn’t seem right. I haven’t truly embraced all this grading, as I’ve been collecting before these grading companies popped up. I think if I was gonna sell a 15k card I’d send it to a reputable AH and negotiate them sending it in to be graded. They can absorb the cost which won’t be as much, as what us collectors pay.

rand1com 07-08-2023 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeanTown (Post 2354200)
Paying 500.00 for an opinion which seems to be political at times doesn’t seem right. I haven’t truly embraced all this grading, as I’ve been collecting before these grading companies popped up. I think if I was gonna sell a 15k card I’d send it to a reputable AH and negotiate them sending it in to be graded. They can absorb the cost which won’t be as much, as what us collectors pay.

They do get a break on the cost of grading but whatever it is they deduct from the seller's final take. They may get a break on the actual grade as well but who knows.

But, in order to have them get the card graded, you have to commit to consigning it for auction.

If you grade it yourself, you determine what happens to the card.

PSA charges $600 to grade at their location in California a card with a value only up to $9,999 so you actually get a better price for a potentially higher valued card in one day on site at the National.

Not for everyone, but again for the right card probably a decent deal.

BeanTown 07-08-2023 03:46 PM

Who determines the value? I remember when dealers were using two price guides. The SCD and SMR. They buy using one guide and sell using the other guide. Isn’t a lot of the value speculation where on any given day a card could sell for 7500 or 17500.

swarmee 07-08-2023 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeanTown (Post 2354243)
Who determines the value?

The initial submitter based on their prediction of the graded value, or the raw replacement value if they're okay with it going slower and possibly getting reimbursed for a smaller value in case it gets lost or damaged at PSA.
Once it's graded, sometimes PSA will cross-check the value based on their APR tool to determine a current value, and will sometimes upcharge people to a higher service level. However, that's intermittent. There are times when thousand dollar cards go through on bulk $99 max value submissions (think PSA 10 commons from the 60s) or times when a card valued at $249 gets upcharged to the $999 level if it gets a 10 in modern basketball autos, for example.

rand1com 07-08-2023 06:15 PM

Quote:

Who determines the value? I remember when dealers were using two price guides. The SCD and SMR. They buy using one guide and sell using the other guide. Isn’t a lot of the value speculation where on any given day a card could sell for 7500 or 17500.

There is not the kind of pricing disparity that you suggest above. VCP which stands for Vintage Card Prices is the primary tool most dealers/collectors use for comparable pricing.

It has most recorded actual sale prices of graded cards by PSA, Beckett, or SGC whether sold on Ebay or through auction houses. Most recent sales are generally used for pricing when buying/selling although some cards may not have any recorded sales in many years. You have to pay a membership fee annually to have access to the site.

The PSA SMR is not accurate as it is not updated on a regular basis. PSA does have some actual pricing of sold PSA cards only.

Ebay has a tool to find actual sales on Ebay but a lot of times best offers are accepted and the recorded sales are the BIN prices.

Bottom line is vintage graded cards are not usually discounted to any great extent over whatever the market value is at any point in time.

raulus 07-08-2023 06:35 PM

Quote:

There’s certainly a range for market for any given card.

My experience is that they tend to be pretty forgiving when it comes to hitting you with upcharges. Not that you can go nuts and just submit everything at the lowest possible level. But my experience suggests it has to be pretty egregious with your item being clearly and well over the limit before you get to pay more.

Bigdaddy 07-08-2023 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rand1com (Post 2354276)
There is not the kind of pricing disparity that you suggest above.

I would assert that great differences in price are not related so much to multiple cards with the same grade (though eye appeal does play a part), but to the same card at different grades. For example, submit the same card 10 times and then look at the prices for the highest and lowest grades of those 10 submittals. The ambiguity of the grading scale is what drives folks to submit the same card multiple times hoping for a bump in grade and the corresponding bump in value. And at the high end of the grading scale, that can be a 5-10x jump.

rand1com 07-09-2023 05:23 AM

Certainly true on vintage high grade cards.

I submitted a 1954 World Series Game 1 (Mays Catch) ticket stub at the $150 level which covered up to $2499 on the value side for grading. I got an email informing me the cost would be $600 for the grading due to the grade of the ticket. At first, I was ticked to pay an additional $450 for grading due to the grade but upon finding out it was the highest graded one, I just happily ate the fee.

I'm sure if someone submits a 1952 Topps Mantle at the level of NM and it grades NM/M they would be happy to pay the additional fee as well.

But I thought the post about value indicated same grade just different valuations as he mentioned SCD and SMR.

Johnny630 07-09-2023 06:54 AM

The Lines Will Be Long with Submitters, I wish SGC was dong on-site....ugh

glynparson 07-09-2023 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeanTown (Post 2354200)

People
Have literally made millions because people
Have this attitude. Those raking in the dollars because others are too scared or self righteous to use grading would like to thank you and those like you that are too afraid to make money by having the cards authenticated and graded. Be careful some of the clowns on here that complain about grading the most are the first ones in line at PSA to slab there cards when they get anything of value. It’s rather comical in actuality.

Johnny630 07-09-2023 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glynparson (Post 2354384)
People
Have literally made millions because people
Have this attitude. Those raking in the dollars because others are too scared or self righteous to use grading would like to thank you and those like you that are too afraid to make money by having the cards authenticated and graded. Be careful some of the clowns on here that complain about grading the most are the first ones in line at PSA to slab there cards when they get anything of value. It’s rather comical in actuality.

Your last sentence is spot on. They will Bitch and Moan till the Cows come
home about PSA pricing but will use them every time because they know it just like us, PSA slabbed cards sell for the most. That’s that.

JollyElm 07-09-2023 01:44 PM

347. Kvetch-22
The principle that the people who bitterly complain the most about PSA’s horrific business practices are the same ones who gladly keep sending in more cards to be graded, because PSA slabs deliver the highest sales prices.

Jcosta19 07-09-2023 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rand1com (Post 2354162)
$150 up to $2499 value by the end of the show - Collector's Club Exclusive
$250 up to $4999 value by end of day
$500 up to $14999 value by end of day

So there you have it!!

Where can I find this info? I don't see prices or services anywhere on their website or social media accounts.

I'm trying to find pricing for on-site auto authentication

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

trambo 07-09-2023 09:24 PM

it's on their website.

https://www.psacard.com/articles/art...rading-pricing

BeanTown 07-09-2023 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glynparson (Post 2354384)
Be careful some of the clowns on here that complain about grading the most are the first ones in line at PSA to slab there cards when they get anything of value. It’s rather comical in actuality.

What clowns are you referring to? Are you implying certain folks of net54? I can remember when there was no grading and when grading started they had show specials for 10-25 a card. I’ve never stood in line or submitted to PSA (just for the record). If I want to sell a high end card, and it’s a commodity like card than sure it will do better in a slab. I would have the auction house cover the cost of grading as it’s their job of maximizing and advertising the consignment. Seems like a nerve was hit about grading costs. Lol. Shall we discuss eBay fees next?

parkplace33 07-10-2023 04:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyElm (Post 2354470)
347. Kvetch-22
The principle that the people who bitterly complain the most about PSA’s horrific business practices are the same ones who gladly keep sending in more cards to be graded, because PSA slabs deliver the highest sales prices.

Great word!

Funny how much complaining one sees, yet the same people continue to go to the psa well.

rand1com 07-10-2023 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jcosta19 (Post 2354609)
Where can I find this info? I don't see prices or services anywhere on their website or social media accounts.

I'm trying to find pricing for on-site auto authentication

They usually just charge their regular fees for autograph authentication at shows so just look at their list of signers on their site and the price of submission. Not sure if you have to do that in advance as with the cards or not.

JSA and Beckett will also be authenticating on site. Not sure if you get the actual LOA on site from any of them.

At most shows, they send the LOAs through the mail within about a month. However, some of them have produced the LOAs on site at the National in the past.

Johnny630 07-10-2023 05:51 AM

I don't even know why SGC is going if they're not grading on site. It's in many peoples opinion that SGC is so efficient at what they do at their Headquarters in Florida what's the point of them even going if they have to just send your cards back with them to Florida to get graded. Just mail them yourself, you liable to have them graded and sent back to you by the following week. If it's really what's cost effective for SGC, seems to be man people's argument as to why they're not grading on site at the National why not slim it down and cut their costs even more.

Jcosta19 07-10-2023 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rand1com (Post 2354643)
They usually just charge their regular fees for autograph authentication at shows so just look at their list of signers on their site and the price of submission. Not sure if you have to do that in advance as with the cards or not.

JSA and Beckett will also be authenticating on site. Not sure if you get the actual LOA on site from any of them.

At most shows, they send the LOAs through the mail within about a month. However, some of them have produced the LOAs on site at the National in the past.

Thanks for the info.
I have done onsite with Beckett and JSA at shows but never at National and never with PSA. Glad to hear it's basically the same.

Thanks again

ValKehl 07-10-2023 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny630 (Post 2354648)
I don't even know why SGC is going if they're not grading on site. It's in many peoples opinion that SGC is so efficient at what they do at their Headquarters in Florida what's the point of them even going if they have to just send your cards back with them to Florida to get graded. Just mail them yourself, you liable to have them graded and sent back to you by the following week. If it's really what's cost effective for SGC, seems to be man people's argument as to why they're not grading on site at the National why not slim it down and cut their costs even more.

Johnny, IMHO, SGC's point in setting up at the National is simply to both have a presence and to accept submissions. I am one of those collectors who, if at all possible, will avoid shipping valuable cards to both TPGs and auction houses to avoid the risk of loss or damage, as well as save the cost of shipping. Fortunately for me, both SGC and REA set up at the thrice-yearly Chantilly Show (I live 10 miles from this show).