Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Bush League Stories. Let's Hear Them... (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=182237)

pariah1107 01-25-2014 09:58 AM

Bush League Stories. Let's Hear Them...

The Bush Leagues were filled with odd acts, colorful characters, and absurd behavior. Let's hear some stories....

The Accidental Detonation of Cle Elum Ballpark: In the spring of 1904 the coal mining town of Cle Elum, Washington built a brand new ballpark. Less than brilliant city planners built the grandstand ON TOP of the powder magazine used to store blasting material for the mines.

On July 17, 1908 the inevitable happened; while moving explosives to the magazine a spark ignited more than "eight tons of giant (dynamite)". The explosion "blew the grandstand across town", leveled the fence that surrounded the ballpark, and destroyed a good portion of downtown Cle Elum. The July 19, 1908 Miner/Echo newspaper reported had a game been on "hundreds would have been killed".

Below the 1910 Cle Elum Ball Team practices at their newly renovated ballpark. Image courtesy of CWU archives. Bruce Ashman, professional boxer/wrestler, pictured top row far left.

http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/...ps74856c95.jpg

keating3620 01-25-2014 10:38 AM

The actor Kurt Russell played A ball in Washington state. He said a teammate was so mad at an umpire that the player purposley got VD and then hooked up with the umps wife.

skooter 01-25-2014 10:55 AM

When Dizzy Dean was doing the "Falstaff Game of The Week" back in the 50's, he told Pee Wee Reese that the hardest ball ever his off of him was a line drive that went between his legs and was caught by the center fielder before it hit the ground.

packs 01-25-2014 11:06 AM

There are some great stories in Pat Jordan's book "A False Spring." Jordan was a bonus baby for the Braves in 1959. The book's about his time in the low minors and wash out of baseball after knowing for certain his whole life he'd play in the major leagues.

Lots of great low minors stories about guys like Elrod Hendricks, Phil Niekro, Rico Carty. Travis Jackson was his manager for a season. Whit Whyatt was his pitching coach. It's a really cool book.

71buc 01-25-2014 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 1232267)
There are some great stories in Pat Jordan's book "A False Spring." Jordan was a bonus baby for the Braves in 1959. The book's about his time in the low minors and wash out of baseball after knowing for certain his whole life he'd play in the major leagues.

Lots of great low minors stories about guys like Elrod Hendricks, Phil Niekro, Rico Carty. Travis Jackson was his manager for a season. Whit Whyatt was his pitching coach. It's a really cool book.

+1! A False Spring is one of the best baseball books ever written. Another one book focusing on line in the minors is Bullpen Gospels which I think is a must read.

Jantz 01-26-2014 09:01 AM

My hometown was named Chicago Junction many years ago.

Here is an article from the local newspaper about the local baseball team from June 10th, 1897.

"The Chicago Junction baseball team has been disbanded for the present. Five of the players took French leave Saturday night on Train No.47, for St.Mary's, Ohio. Why this was done no one knows for each player was earning about $60 per month here. Hunter, the manager, who appeared honest and trustworthy, proved himself to be a scoundrel of the lowest type. An effort is now being made to cause his arrest...Since the above was placed in type Constable Sigourney has returned from St.Mary's where he was sent on Tuesday. He secured the shoes, gloves, etc. that Hunter stole."

History of Willard, Ohio Joseph F. Dush

Apparently the team manager stole all the team's equipment and left town.

You got to love the way our language was back then..."scoundrel of the lowest type". Classic!

Jantz

pariah1107 01-26-2014 09:31 AM

Great article!

Just un-American to steal baseball equipment. Of course, if Chicago Junction was like many town teams, all of the equipment totaled: one catcher's mask, two bats, and three baseballs.:D

thecatspajamas 01-26-2014 01:19 PM

First time I've ever heard the term "French leave," but not the last I'll be using it :D

tachyonbb 01-27-2014 02:02 PM

Harlan "Firpo" Pyle was with the McCook team in the Nebraska State League in 1928. He had 20 wins, completed 24 games and pitched both ends of a double header on at least two occasions. He was brought up by the Reds after the NSL season was over.
Joe Stipp tells the story to the Sporting News:
"Pyle hooked up with the club at St. Louis and manager Hendricks decided to send him to the bull pen to warm up. "Hell no" shrieked the kid from the bench, "I'm too scairt to pitch before this crowd". He was excused. A short time later the Reds were in Philadelphia and about 200 patrons were present at game time. "Hey Mr. Hendricks, I can pitch here" said the rookie, "This looks like the crowds they have down in the Nebraska State League.""

Pyle pitched four outs for the Reds in 1928, he never returned to the big leagues.