Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   July Pickups (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=125301)

perezfan 06-30-2010 11:00 AM

July Pickups

4 Attachment(s)
Thought I would start this one a day early, since the old June thread dropped way down the list. I was happy to pick up a couple of great early Baseball Mugs...

The lidded glass mug was in REA years ago, and I was happy to see it re-surface. As many times as I gazed at it in the Catalogue, it's even neater in person.

The Tray with the painted baseball scene (from ebay) was advertised as a Reds/Dodgers piece. Was disappointed to find it's actually a generic piece, but still very attractive.

The 1954 Giants Pennant is the first I've seen in 20+ years of collecting pennants. Had to compromise on condition, but it was worth it, as I have never seen another. This design was originally utilized for the 1951 All Star Game Pennant, so this could easily be a 1951 "Phantom" as well (the Yankees prevailed as World Champs, despite Bobby Thomson's earlier heroics).

perezfan 06-30-2010 11:14 AM

2 Attachment(s)
One more pickup (inspired by Jimmy, as it's a nifty companion piece...)

First image is my Type 1 Photo of Walter Johnson. Note the Cleveland Cap, as Johnson was the Indians' Manager when this was shot was taken by legendary lensman Louis Van Oeyen.

Second image is the 1947 Baseball Register, with a cover drawing of this photo. Note the Cap, however, with a "W" superimposed. I guess they thought the image would be better with Johnson depicted as a Senator.

I probably overpaid for the 1947 Register, but found it to be an irresistable companion piece (as I had never seen this photo portrayed elsewhere).

sayhey24 06-30-2010 11:36 AM

Terrific pieces!
I also like the way they put the W on the cap off-center so it could be seen better.

Greg

CarltonHendricks 06-30-2010 12:07 PM

Steins

Mark, Nice pickups on the steins....both real nice, maybe you can airbrush out the crickett player on the blue one LOL.....glad to see you're still doing damage

yanks12025 06-30-2010 12:38 PM

2 Attachment(s)
No where near vintage but a 2009 game used bat of Adam Laroche.

GKreindler 06-30-2010 01:33 PM

That Johnson photo is KILLER, Mark. I wouldn't have even minded that it was a shot of him with Cleveland. And I know the post was more for the companion piece, but it still had to be said. :)

I picked up two things last month, but for some reason, hadn't posted them. The first is a negative depicting Aparicio, Fox, Lollar and Jim Landis from the '60 White Sox. I thought that it was a great shot of some great players from a great team, and really, that composition is just begging to be painted.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...indler/Sox.jpg

The next is a negative of Babe Ruth crossing home plate in Detroit after hitting his 701st homer. As you can tell, it's pretty badly damaged, especially since the Babe's face is completely obliterated. But again, the shot was just beautiful, especially with that glorious afternoon light, so I couldn't say 'no'. I can easily photoshop in his head from another source and make it work in a painting. It's definitely perfect for my purposes, especially for what I paid for it!!!

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...ler/Ruth-1.jpg

perezfan 06-30-2010 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarltonHendricks (Post 820286)
Mark, Nice pickups on the steins....both real nice, maybe you can airbrush out the crickett player on the blue one LOL.....glad to see you're still doing damage

Thanks Carlton... Rather than alter the piece, I'll just tell people it's a baseball guy using an extremely rare and early bottle bat (and that back then, it was also common to borrow the catcher's shin guards!)

Nobody that visits my house will know the difference anyway ;)

perezfan 06-30-2010 01:48 PM

Graig...

Killer photo of the 1960 Chisox! That will indeed be an amazing painting, once you apply your "strokes of genius". Very cool :cool:

Also... are those Palm Trees beyond the left field fence in Detroit? I know they can't be, but it sure lokks like it in the photo. That will be another amazing painting, should you decide to do it!

GKreindler 06-30-2010 01:58 PM

Mark,

The stadium is old Navin Field in Detroit. It's a bit tough to recognize, as it seemed to have a pretty major face-lift every year or so during the 1930s. For the World Series that year, ginormous bleachers were built to hold the extra fans, so that certainly changed the landscape considerably.

This is what it looked like around the time Ruth hit his 701st that July of '34...

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...nField1934.jpg

Graig

perezfan 06-30-2010 02:04 PM

Graig... thanks!

That's just an awesome photo of Navin Field. I went back and edited my post when I noticed you already had mentioned that Babe hit #701 in Detroit. But I am so glad you posted that photo, as it's the best image I've seen of that stadium. Clearly not Palm Trees out there, either :o

GKreindler 06-30-2010 02:13 PM

Hey Mark!

I didn't even realize that I had mentioned it in the first place. My mind isn't all there, apparently.

I have a lot of other images of the ol' park from that era, and honestly, I have to thank the good people at Legendary for it. They've been having these wonderful eBay auctions over the past few months, selling negatives of Tiger stuff from all eras, but most especially from the 30s and 40s. I've definitely lucked out with some great images for my reference files, as well as some great negatives for my own use. I'm amazed that I landed some of the ones that I did!!!

D. Broughman 06-30-2010 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GKreindler (Post 820328)
Mark,

The stadium is old Navin Field in Detroit. It's a bit tough to recognize, as it seemed to have a pretty major face-lift every year or so during the 1930s. For the World Series that year, ginormous bleachers were built to hold the extra fans, so that certainly changed the landscape considerably.

This is what it looked like around the time Ruth hit his 701st that July of '34...

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...nField1934.jpg

Graig

Another angle of Navin Field from about the same time. Thought you might like to see it. D.

GKreindler 06-30-2010 05:05 PM

Awesomeness, Dynarl!! Here's another shot of the ol' place during the '34 Series. It's amazing how huge those stands are!

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...ldSeries-2.jpg

WillowGrove 06-30-2010 08:43 PM

Cool Kansas City A's Piece

1 Attachment(s)
Still awaiting it's arrival. I searched all over and couldn't find anything online. Those stands in Navin Field are amazing.

khkco4bls 07-01-2010 02:12 PM

july pick ups

2 Attachment(s)
guys, 2 new items. 1866 monitor baseball club items thanks to rob. Also the young ladies baseball broadside that is spectacular in person. couldnt be happier. to me definitely has to do with franklins ladies baseball barnstorming team from 1880s to 1891. The piece is about 3' tall by 15" wide.

thekingofclout 07-02-2010 08:32 AM

My first pick-up of the month...

3 Attachment(s)
is this neat 1968 Topps Posters Wax Wrapper to go along with the empty box and matching Mantle poster I got a few months ago.

Attachment 21211Attachment 21212

Attachment 21213

perezfan 07-02-2010 10:17 AM

Jimmy...

That is a GREAT ensemble! Those posters are the thing I remember most as a kid (aside from the Topps cards). I had collected every one, and now they're all gone. I still remember amassing about 8 of the Max Alvis posters before finally completing the set. Had at least 5 Don Drysdale and Frank Howard posters as well.

The next year (1969) it was the Topps Team Posters with the players heads inside the circles. That would be another nifty 3-piece set to acquire (Poster/Wrapper/Box). Sad to think that mine all ended up in some dumpster :mad:

Scott Garner 07-03-2010 09:12 AM

Lon Warneke no-hitter ticket 1941

1 Attachment(s)
Picked up this rare dated ticket from Lon Warneke's (The Arkansas Hummingbird) no-hitter over Cincinnati in 1941. This is the only one that I have ever seen or heard of in the hobby in 38 years. Pretty neat! I now have tickets to over 160 different no-hitter games dating back to 1910... :D

mr2686 07-03-2010 09:36 AM

Outstanding pick-up Scott! I bet you were drooling as soon as you found it.

Scott Garner 07-03-2010 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr2686 (Post 820839)
Outstanding pick-up Scott! I bet you were drooling as soon as you found it.

Thanks Mike! You are correct- lots of drool!

mr2686 07-03-2010 10:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Picking away at another project I'm working on. I'm calling it The 1969 Cubs...The Great Collapse. Just added a signed Topps Bill Hands and should be adding a Jenkins at next week's show.

Hot Springs Bathers 07-03-2010 11:16 AM

Scott- Lon's daughter Lonnie lives three doors up the street from me. A very nice family. They have quite a bit of memorabilia but I've never seen anything from the no hitter.

Her brother Charles has a wonderful album Mr. Wrigley presented to the team after the 1935 season with studio photos of each player. The players then had everyone sign their photos including Mr. Wrigley.

Rich Klein got a look at the album at my house a few years back. Wow!

mjkm90 07-03-2010 04:52 PM

Cubs Pennant

Picked up this exceedingly rare (at least I've never seen another) Cubs pennant for a song on ebay. The condition is exceptional and I love the design elements.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q...GVQUpUQ_12.jpg

GrayGhost 07-03-2010 07:54 PM

What kind of song? " I got me a pennant, so cheap as can be..I got me a pennant and Im ha pp y ..happpyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy..;)

Scott Garner 07-03-2010 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hot Springs Bathers (Post 820854)
Scott- Lon's daughter Lonnie lives three doors up the street from me. A very nice family. They have quite a bit of memorabilia but I've never seen anything from the no hitter.

Her brother Charles has a wonderful album Mr. Wrigley presented to the team after the 1935 season with studio photos of each player. The players then had everyone sign their photos including Mr. Wrigley.

Rich Klein got a look at the album at my house a few years back. Wow!

Mike,
That's incredible! Lon Warneke had quite a career in baseball. Not only did he win over 190 games (192), he also umpired for over 15 years in the major leagues. Did his daughter Lonnie ever mention that he was quite the crooner? Apparently he was a singer and played an instrument while on the road...

mr2686 07-04-2010 11:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Back to the 50's for this great March 3, 1958 SI signed by McDougald, Carey, and Slaughter. I will turn it around and send it off soon to Yogi to complete.

mr2686 07-05-2010 12:44 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I thought I was done with magazines for the month until I found a lost goldmine of sorts. The Stengel is a bit light on the last name but I think it will display nicely...too good to pass up. McDougald I've been looking for this one for awhile since he is no longer able to sign due to his health. The Maris cover is pretty worn but the autograph is strong. I would have liked to have found a Reynolds/Berra Sport issue but I will gladly take this one.

bcbgcbrcb 07-05-2010 01:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
From the Net 54 B/S/T Auction section, an 1885 Chicago Team Woodcut w/Anson, Kelly & Clarkson...............

ray1954 07-05-2010 02:17 PM

Two Items

2 Attachment(s)
Got two items of interest recently:

1) Bill Martin Presentation Bat from August 10, 1986 stands over 5 foot tall and is heavy as...

2) Jim Bunning AP Wire Photo taken after his perfect game - it is cut down to 8x8. Won this on ebay - unsigned - then ran it over to the Senate Office Building and had Senator Bunning sign it. Took 5 minutes of chatting to convince him to sign it for me. He is only there as a sitting Senator until the end of year. I will try one more time to get a 1964 Phillies Yearbook signed.

Hot Springs Bathers 07-05-2010 02:44 PM

Scott- I believe Lon had a small band that played in the off-season. His musical ability was showcased when he moved to the Cardinals. The players performed before a few games and on local radio. I think it was pure "country."

thekingofclout 07-05-2010 06:59 PM

Just picked this TYPE I photo up from Gaynor & Dent...

3 Attachment(s)
A 1941 Babe Ruth Sam Goldwyn Baseball Movie Photo. From the famous Culver Archives, Babe Ruth meets Sam Goldwyn (of movie fame) when Babe signed the contract to appear in the Lou Gehrig movie “The Pride of the Yankees.” Dated Dec 2, 1941 on the back.

What really makes this one special for me is that this photo is the companion piece! For me...it's almost always the other way around.

So here is the key piece. Babe's paycheck stub for appearing in the classic film recounting Lou Gehrig's life... "The Pride of the Yankees"

Attachment 21405Attachment 21404

Attachment 21406

David Atkatz 07-05-2010 09:37 PM

Here's a companion piece for ya, Jimmy--a postcard the Babe sent home while he was in LA filming Pride of the Yankees:

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...uthalspc-1.jpg

Scott Garner 07-06-2010 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thekingofclout (Post 821218)
A 1941 Babe Ruth Sam Goldwyn Baseball Movie Photo. From the famous Culver Archives, Babe Ruth meets Sam Goldwyn (of movie fame) when Babe signed the contract to appear in the Lou Gehrig movie “The Pride of the Yankees.” Dated Dec 2, 1941 on the back.

What really makes this one special for me is that this photo is the companion piece! For me...it's almost always the other way around.

So here is the key piece. Babe's paycheck stub for appearing in the classic film recounting Lou Gehrig's life... "The Pride of the Yankees"

Attachment 21405Attachment 21404

Attachment 21406

Jimmy & David,
Those are some awesome Ruth campanion pieces. Truly all three are "top shelf". Congrats!

thekingofclout 07-06-2010 04:33 AM

Thanks Scott.

And you ain't kidding David :eek:

GKreindler 07-06-2010 11:30 AM

Man, LOTS of great stuff this month!!

I picked this up a couple of days ago, a nice Type 1 of Joe McCarthy from sometime around 1939 . It's not an important shot or anything, but I think it's one of my favorite images of the great manager. And of course, it would make a nice painting.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...r/McCarthy.jpg

Graig

GrayGhost 07-06-2010 11:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I got this late In June, and was gonna post it. I think this is really cool. My friend is going to try and do a print from it, see what it looks like. Here is the description from the Bay, where I got it..

Vintage glass slide negative of Yankee Stadium.It is 2 pieces of glass.Inside the two pieces of glass there is a paper saying"Workstel E-Fect Slides created by Harry Rubin for Publix Theatres.Manufactered by Maurice workstel Inc. 151 Wesr 46th St, NYC

The size is 4" by 5"

Ball coming into stands.Fans with old time hats.Looks like World Series banners

Vintagecatcher 07-14-2010 08:51 AM

D & M Trophy and watch fob

2 Attachment(s)
I picked up a very cool catcher figural trophy from one of our board members, which I am having a master silversmith replate. I also picked up a D&M watch fob as a companion piece. Thanks again to the board member. I'll update the picture with the restored trophy at a later time.

Patrick

ChrisGalbreath 07-14-2010 07:17 PM

Some Rings and a Blonde Mushroom

5 Attachment(s)
Some recent bat purchases - Hope you enjoy!!

ChrisGalbreath 07-14-2010 07:19 PM

Here's the Blonde

3 Attachment(s)
Thought this turned out well - Thanks to Bill Rayburn -

MGHPro 07-14-2010 10:07 PM

Chris
Awesome bats! The W&D is killer!
Matt

thekingofclout 07-15-2010 07:22 AM

Just picked up this sweet...

1 Attachment(s)
1961 Mantle & Maris Magazine to add to my Maris 61 in 61 collection.

Attachment 21896

ChrisGalbreath 07-15-2010 01:57 PM

A few more bats - decals this time

3 Attachment(s)
Pics aren't that great but hope you enjoy

ChrisGalbreath 07-15-2010 02:00 PM

A Mushroom Brand I have never seen -

4 Attachment(s)
Anyone know the history of this bat company?

thekingofclout 07-16-2010 01:57 AM

Am very excited to have just won this terrific photo...

1 Attachment(s)
Vintage original TYPE I photo c. 1930's.

Attachment 21977

Bill Rayburn 07-16-2010 05:30 AM

Chris Galbreath's Bats

Hey Chris...If you bring all of those bats to The National you can charge admission to your booth just for a look.

WillowGrove 07-16-2010 08:23 PM

Found this on Ebay!

1 Attachment(s)
I imagine a Baseball Writer's Assoc of America card is somewhat common but as you can see this one was issued in 1951 to the great JG Taylor Spink! I was pretty excited when I found it for a fair BIN BO deal. Anyone else a fan of the old scribes?

thekingofclout 07-17-2010 01:50 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Picked up this vintage Yankee Stadium vendors hat that will make a terrific companion piece for a variety of Yanks memorabilia...

Attachment 21996Attachment 21997

Attachment 21999Attachment 21998

slidekellyslide 07-17-2010 02:11 PM

4 Attachment(s)
After a very long dryspell with my Lincoln minor league collection a guy showed up to my front door this morning with this beauty. It is a Bobby Shantz autographed baseball...but not just any old Bobby Shantz signed ball...this one was given to Jim Walters, the 16 year old kid who won the contest in 1953 to name the Lincoln baseball team...the ball is a NL Giles ball with the Western League president's signature stamp... I've known about this ball's existence for a long time now, but the guy was unwilling to sell it until today. The ball was also signed "Congratulations from Bill Hayes"...Hayes was the General Manager of the Lincoln club..he was a former Yankee minor leaguer and an umpire.

Here's a great story I found about Bill Hayes from just a few years ago:
http://www.amarillo.com/stories/0715..._7997379.shtml

The kid on the right in the bottom photo is the kid who named the team.

David Atkatz 07-17-2010 03:25 PM

Now that's a beautiful baseball!

Scott Garner 07-17-2010 04:09 PM

Great ball, Dan. Congrats!!