Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Bill Mastro's upcoming sentencing (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=208076)

calvindog 06-29-2015 12:34 PM

Bill Mastro's upcoming sentencing

Mastro is scheduled to be sentenced before Judge Guzman in federal court in Chicago in August. He will be receiving a sentence of most likely less than 30 months pursuant to his cooperation agreement with the government. The deal he has with the government requires him to pay back *zero* dollars in restitution to his victims. In addition, just today, Bill Boehm, Mastro's codefendant, received a sentence of three months house arrest for his actions in defrauding collectors who bid on Mastro auctions.

If anyone would like to write a letter directly to the judge expressing your feelings about Bill's conduct and his impact on our hobby, the sentence he is about to receive and the fact that you will not be receiving a penny in restitution despite the massive fraud he committed, now is nearing your last chance.

Address your letter to:

Judge Ronald A. Guzman
219 South Dearborn Street
Chicago, Illinois 60604

The case name is U.S. v. Mastro, 1:12-cr-00567.

Finally, it is also my understanding that Bill is presently reaching out to some high profile collectors and sending them happy little packages with some cards for their collections along with a happy note. As Bill never had a reputation for generosity, it is curious timing so close to his sentencing but that's just my opinion. Please don't let such a package deter you from telling the truth about Bill's negative impact on our hobby.

Enfuego 06-29-2015 12:38 PM

Such Shenanigans!!!

Peter_Spaeth 06-29-2015 12:54 PM

What does this bode for Doug and Mark?

ullmandds 06-29-2015 01:01 PM

unbelievable...the legal system is shit!!!!

Rob D. 06-29-2015 01:08 PM

Orange is the new black and "happy little packages" are the new steak dinner at the National. Hardly a surprise.

Rob Dewolf

atx840 06-29-2015 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1425856)

Ha, you should see it up here...only thing worse is the postal service and our dental coverage plans.

ullmandds 06-29-2015 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atx840 (Post 1425933)
Ha, you should see it up here...only thing worse is the postal service and our dental coverage plans.

sounds similar to down here!!!

I think most americans would agree the healthcare delivery system is "broken"...and in need of a major overhaul.

Can we say the same thing of the legal system?

Brian Van Horn 06-29-2015 06:00 PM

Now that the National has been brought up, what is the over under on the first dealer to be arrested?

Joshchisox08 06-29-2015 06:54 PM

Quote:

It's all about money. Agreed. Legal system my fay ##*king ass. Total home on all accounts. That goes for any legality.

Peter_Spaeth 06-29-2015 07:27 PM

Very cogent analysis.

ethicsprof 06-29-2015 07:58 PM

Sir,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshchisox08 (Post 1425955)
It's all about money. Agreed. Legal system my fay ****ing ass. Total home on all accounts. That goes for any legality.

Please.... I'd like to have my nephew continue perusing this website.

Barry Arnold

Rob D. 06-29-2015 08:15 PM

What kind of an uncle are you?

Peter_Spaeth 06-29-2015 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethicsprof (Post 1425983)

Barry Arnold

Oh he's really a very classy guy Barry.

ethicsprof 06-29-2015 09:20 PM

Rob D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob D. (Post 1425988)
What kind of an uncle are you?

since he is my great nephew, I would think that makes me a great uncle. :)

best,
barry

ethicsprof 06-29-2015 09:25 PM

Peter S

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1425994)
Oh he's really a very classy guy Barry.

many thanks, my good friend.
your generous compliment is very, very classy, as are you.

best,
Barry

Peter_Spaeth 06-29-2015 09:27 PM

Quote:

How do we get from the sentencing recommendation of a single prosecutor to the entire system?

Sean 06-29-2015 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atx840 (Post 1425933)

While we're off-topic, can we get Pete's take on the state of dental care?

Peter_Spaeth 06-30-2015 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean (Post 1426009)
While we're off-topic, can we get Pete's take on the state of dental care?

Yes, that recent wisdom tooth case was right in Pete's area, a terrible tragedy and certainly hope it was not the result of any fault.

http://www.startribune.com/eden-prai...ion/307483751/

Leon 06-30-2015 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshchisox08 (Post 1425955)
It's all about money. Agreed. Legal system my fay ##*king ass. Total home on all accounts. That goes for any legality.

No more F bombs Josh... I have no idea what "total home" means but I guess either you are "safe or not" at home plate?...thanks

Joshchisox08 06-30-2015 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1426036)
No more F bombs Josh... I have no idea what "total home" means but I guess either you are "safe or not" at home plate?...thanks

Bahhahaha. Sorry Leon won't happen again. I was out at home.

Leon 06-30-2015 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshchisox08 (Post 1426039)
Bahhahaha. Sorry Leon won't happen again. I was out at home.

I am just curious what language you speak too? If you are out then how can you be at home? Were you in your backyard?

autograf 06-30-2015 06:14 AM

"Dudes on ludes should not drive"
-Spicoli

ullmandds 06-30-2015 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1426032)
Yes, that recent wisdom tooth case was right in Pete's area, a terrible tragedy and certainly hope it was not the result of any fault.

http://www.startribune.com/eden-prai...ion/307483751/

This incident was an unfortunate one...could have happened to any doctor from the sounds of it...

rainier2004 06-30-2015 06:23 AM

Jeff - So it sounds to me he might get a short sentence? At this point with all that has happened and now a sentencing, what do think he will get? When do you think Judge Guzman will actually make the decision (more of the mental process here, not the actual sentencing date) on the sentence?

calvindog 06-30-2015 06:36 AM

The prosecutor is recommending less than 30 months (assuming Bill's cooperation was substantial) and he will pay back no money to his victims. As for the judge's decision, he will rely on a whole host of factors which include letters to the court from Bill's victims about their experiences with him and his general character.

autograf 06-30-2015 06:50 AM

What about Doug and Mark?

Joshchisox08 06-30-2015 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1426040)
I am just curious what language you speak too? If you are out then how can you be at home? Were you in your backyard?

As I often do I had one too many pints last eve. This is how that comment came about. :D

It's pretty damn funny reading it today.

Leon 06-30-2015 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshchisox08 (Post 1426053)
As I often do I had one too many pints last eve. This is how that comment came about. :D

It's pretty damn funny reading it today.

Just watch the F bombs and dirty language and you won't hear much from me. We try to keep it fairly clean so your 12 yrs old son or daughter (as an example not that you have a 12 yr old) could read the board. thanks

SmokyBurgess 06-30-2015 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethicsprof (Post 1425983)

Barry Arnold

+1

bxb 06-30-2015 07:10 AM

We collectors are paying a high price for Mastro's cooperation.

Any idea what the specifics are regarding said cooperation?

SMPEP 06-30-2015 08:06 AM

Tom - it's "people" not Dudes. If you're going to quote Mr. Spicoli ... at least quote him accurately! :D

GaryPassamonte 06-30-2015 09:08 AM

If I were a wronged party, I would care much more about restitution than length of sentence. It is like putting the cart before the horse. Why does this happen so frequently?

Leon 06-30-2015 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryPassamonte (Post 1426090)
If I were a wronged party, I would care much more about restitution than length of sentence. It is like putting the cart before the horse. Why does this happen so frequently?

Gary, I think if you bid in their auctions you were a wronged party. I told Mastro's lawyer I expected restitution and an apology and I would think about a letter. Nothing has changed (except a small gift in the mail which was appreciated).

Peter_Spaeth 06-30-2015 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1426092)
Gary, I think if you bid in their auctions you were a wronged party. I told Mastro's lawyer I expected restitution and an apology and I would think about a letter. Nothing has changed (except a small gift in the mail which was appreciated).

So he tried, in effect, to buy a favorable letter to the judge? Or was he just sending you a gift in a generous spirit?

calvindog 06-30-2015 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1426092)

He's not paying you restitution.

He sent you the gift in the mail to try to stop you from writing a letter to the court about his stealing from his friends -- solely because he doesn't want the judge to sentence him to a longer sentence.

Once he's sentenced and he doesn't need to manipulate you anymore the gifts in the mail will stop.

Peter_Spaeth 06-30-2015 09:29 AM

If someone tried to bribe or influence me with a gift, I would like to think I would return it.

Leon 06-30-2015 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calvindog (Post 1426097)
He's not paying you restitution.

He sent you the gift in the mail to try to stop you from writing a letter to the court about his stealing from his friends -- solely because he doesn't want the judge to sentence him to a longer sentence.

Once he's sentenced and he doesn't need to manipulate you anymore the gifts in the mail will stop.

I know Jeff. My views haven't changed concerning writing a letter. I have said AFTER restitution (it would have to be for all affected not just me) AND a public apology I would think about it. Since the first isn't going to happen I think it's analogous to arguing moot points with my wife. I am very practiced at it though.

calvindog 06-30-2015 09:33 AM

Here's what Bill said about the letters to the judge written by his victims and the anger some of them have displayed:

"I have no idea where such resentment comes from but to date my judge has received 2 letters….2! I had over 30,000 people on our mailing list and 2 people wrote letters."

So Bill believes that his victims apparently approve of his criminal actions because they are not writing to the judge.

GaryPassamonte 06-30-2015 09:33 AM

Why isn't restitution the first part of any judgement. If wronged, I would want to be compensated for that wrong. I couldn't care less if the party goes to jail or not.

Leon 06-30-2015 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calvindog (Post 1426102)
Here's what Bill said about the letters to the judge written by his victims and the anger some of them have displayed:

"I have no idea where such resentment comes from but to date my judge has received 2 letters….2! I had over 30,000 people on our mailing list and 2 people wrote letters."

So Bill believes that his victims apparently approve of his criminal actions because they are not writing to the judge.

Since letters are sometimes made public, and a certain HUGE fraudster with his own website might get them and twist them as he often does, maybe people don't want to speak out? I don't think anyone can guarantee a letter won't be made public, can they? (except the judge I guess)

calvindog 06-30-2015 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryPassamonte (Post 1426103)
Why isn't restitution the first part of any judgement. If wronged, I would want to be compensated for that wrong. I couldn't care less if the party goes to jail or not.

Address your letter to:

Judge Ronald A. Guzman
219 South Dearborn Street
Chicago, Illinois 60604

The case name is U.S. v. Mastro, 1:12-cr-00567.

Peter_Spaeth 06-30-2015 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryPassamonte (Post 1426103)

Pretty hard to calculate and administer in a case like this with so many bidders oand so many lots over so many years, I would imagine.

Leon 06-30-2015 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1426107)
Pretty hard to calculate and administer in a case like this with so many bidders oand so many lots over so many years, I would imagine.

5 million dollar lifetime fine split over everyone that bid, just like a class action that has been awarded *(in layperson terms).....that is a start.

Peter_Spaeth 06-30-2015 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1426109)
5 million dollar lifetime fine split over everyone that bid, just like a class action that has been awarded *(in layperson terms).....that is a start.

In a class action, to collect you typically have to submit a proof of claim. There is a whole administrative process. And there's no way every lot was shilled such that every bidder would have a claim.

Peter_Spaeth 06-30-2015 09:42 AM

Plus, he never would have plea bargained if it included a mutli million dollar award, is my guess.

calvindog 06-30-2015 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1426112)
Plus, he never would have plea bargained if it included a mutli million dollar award, is my guess.

I disagree completely. What was he going to do, go to trial?

But before we go back into pontificating about the ills of the legal system, can we again focus on the following:

if you wish to tell the judge your thoughts on Bill Mastro, good or bad, you should write to the judge because you will have no other opportunity to be heard on this matter. Complaining on Net 54 does not move the ball forward.

Peter_Spaeth 06-30-2015 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calvindog (Post 1426113)
I disagree completely. What was he going to do, go to trial?

You are closer to it than I am fair enough, but why then didn't the prosecution insist on restitution?

PM770 06-30-2015 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1426116)
You are closer to it than I am fair enough, but why then didn't the prosecution insist on restitution?

Maybe the prosecutor got a gift in the mail.

Leon 06-30-2015 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1426111)
In a class action, to collect you typically have to submit a proof of claim. There is a whole administrative process. And there's no way every lot was shilled such that every bidder would have a claim.

You said no way, I gave a way. He is proven (I believe) to have shilled. My restitution may not be perfect but it seems better than what is being done.

Peter_Spaeth 06-30-2015 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1426119)
You said no way, I gave a way. He is proven (I believe) to have shilled. My restitution may not be perfect but it seems better than what is being done.

Well yes he shilled but that does not mean every lot was shilled. So many bidders may not have been damaged at all.