Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   HELMAR: Why would you make such a card? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=150069)

carrigansghost 04-16-2012 12:59 PM

I have a couple and really like the cards. Keep up the good work. History is history, we should not pretend it didn't happen.

Rawn

Jay Wolt 04-16-2012 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carrigansghost (Post 984546)
I have a couple and really like the cards. Keep up the good work. History is history, we should not pretend it didn't happen.

Rawn

I agree there are countless non sports sets dealing w/ the tragedy of war
from the Civil War sets in the 1880's to the WWI & II & Vietnam sets of modern times
and many sets dealing w/ tyrants & murderers.
Don't think Helmar was glorifying the situation, just reporting it.
I'm sure there are some collectors who aren't even that familiar w/ the Mays/Chapman beaning death.

D. Bergin 04-16-2012 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Wolt (Post 984576)
I'm sure there are some collectors who aren't even that familiar w/ the Mays/Chapman beaning death.

Odd thing is, if they picked up this card and read the back, they still wouldn't know.

The center panel doesn't show Mays "beaning" anyone.

D. Bergin 04-16-2012 03:14 PM

Hmmm! Glancing at Carl Mays record.

I wonder how many other 20th Century pitchers with (5) 20 Win Seasons, a career ERA under 3.00 and a winning % over .620, have not even come close to getting in the HOF.

:confused:

nolemmings 04-16-2012 03:26 PM

Yuck

I don't care for the title at all, and think the whole concept could have been handled better. For one thing, the card is at least awkward in its juxtatposed biographies. It wants the reader to believe that Chapman has not been beaned yet, by foreshadowing a potential great year on the heels of his 1919 season. Yet the same card mentions Mays' having completed his first full season as a Yankee with a 26-11 record, which would have occurred AFTER the 1920 season and after Chapman was dead. IOW the "card" would have been printed after the beaning and there would be no reason to not mention its fateful outcome.

To me a memorial T202 that spoke of the event would have been more appropriate, and a different title more tasteful.

TexasLeaguer 04-16-2012 04:15 PM

Search and Browse manipulation

These cards are modern creations, and should not be listed in the pre-WWII card section of Ebay. This is against Ebay policy and should be flagged/reported as "search and browse manipulation," and "listing in an incorrect category." Hopefully if more people will do the same, they will not show up when we search for items that are actually pre-war.

HOF Auto Rookies 04-17-2012 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasLeaguer (Post 984624)
These cards are modern creations, and should not be listed in the pre-WWII card section of Ebay. This is against Ebay policy and should be flagged/reported as "search and browse manipulation," and "listing in an incorrect category." Hopefully if more people will do the same, they will not show up when we search for items that are actually pre-war.

And since that is true, this a a pre-war forum, and therefore should not be discussed here, and should be discussed in the "water-cooler" section.

D. Bergin 04-17-2012 03:47 PM

Lot of hard-liners here. LOL! :D

novakjr 04-17-2012 04:03 PM

I don't mind the title of the card or the pairing. However, it could've done without the line "a pitch that leaves the opposition speechless at the plate."

Matthew H 04-17-2012 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasLeaguer (Post 984624)

Maybe we can all do this with the thousands of reprints first, then worry about the Helmars?