Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   OT: The Christmas Chronicles (Netflix) (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=262501)

KMayUSA6060 11-23-2018 06:21 PM

OT: The Christmas Chronicles (Netflix)

I know people love when our hobby pops up in movies. My wife and I are watching The Christmas Chronicles on Netflix tonight, and Santa pulls out a 1952 Topps Mantle - mint condition. The guy he hands it to's wife takes the card and tears it up. Hurt me a little bit. Had my wife pause it so I could explain to her how much that card would be worth.

Merry Christmas.

Fred 11-23-2018 07:07 PM

And secretly Kyle's wife is applauding the action of the card being torn..... :p

Ok, so after you tell your wife the card is now worth a gazillion dollars, what did she say? Do many wives have a clue about how much we spend on our cardboard?

Not to hijack the thread but how much is the most someone has spent without telling their wife?

KMayUSA6060 11-23-2018 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred (Post 1829330)
And secretly Kyle's wife is applauding the action of the card being torn..... :p

Ok, so after you tell your wife the card is now worth a gazillion dollars, what did she say? Do many wives have a clue about how much we spend on our cardboard?

Not to hijack the thread but how much is the most someone has spent without telling their wife?

My wife actually enjoys my hobby a bit. She enjoys going to National with me, and I tell her everything.

However, when I told her how much that card is worth, she asked, "Would you tape the card back together if I tore it?"

My answer: "Hell yeah I would! Still would be worth around $1k minimum Haha!"

ValKehl 11-23-2018 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMayUSA6060 (Post 1829332)
My wife actually enjoys my hobby a bit. She enjoys going to National with me, and I tell her everything.

However, when I told her how much that card is worth, she asked, "Would you tape the card back together if I tore it?"

My answer: "Hell yeah I would! Still would be worth around $1k minimum Haha!"

Would you tape the card back together before or after you filed the divorce papers? :D

Bocabirdman 11-24-2018 04:23 AM

Last week's episode of Hawaii 5-0 focused on a house burglary where the only thing stolen was a raw 1948 Leaf Stan Musial. They had it grossly over-valued. ($60K, if I remember correctly). I walked back into the room after a commercial break. Didn't get a long enough look at it to see if it was real or not.......

Leon 11-24-2018 07:13 AM

$26,250.00

She eventually found out at a pool party by a friend of mine. Fortunately we were all inebriated by then.

And to the OP of cards in movies, they are always fun to see.

Quote:

mr2686 11-24-2018 07:56 AM

I always love when TV or movies don't do their homework. The 4th episode of the first season of NBC's Reverie had a kid open a package with a 1966 Roberto Clemente in it...except it was a 1968 Clemente.

Sean 11-24-2018 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr2686 (Post 1829390)
I always love when TV or movies don't do their homework. The 4th episode of the first season of NBC's Reverie had a kid open a package with a 1966 Roberto Clemente in it...except it was a 1968 Clemente.

That's just sloppy.

Sean 11-24-2018 02:30 PM

Quote:

I'm not actually married, but my girlfriend and I have been together for 13 years, so she acts like a wife.

The most I spent without telling her was a little over $5,000 a few years ago. She still hasn't found out. :D

h2oya311 11-25-2018 07:29 AM

I watched part of that movie too. Santa offered the ‘52 Mantle in exchange for the guy’s Porsche cause Santa had lost his sleigh. The wife was like “no f’in way”. Ripped it up. It was clearly a fake, so good on her! Too funny!

Fred 11-25-2018 10:12 AM

My wife doesn't have a clue what I do with the hobby, she knows I enjoy it and that I've been doing it since I was a kid.

The wife doesn't read this B-board (thank God) else she'd probably about crap if she knew how much I spent on one item without letting her know how much. It was about $20K. With my luck somehow she'll accidentally run into this post and then I'll have hell to pay....

For those that have had a "relatively" large purchase without the wife (or just about a wife) knowing about it and later finding out: How did she react? :eek::p

Sean 11-25-2018 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred (Post 1829764)
My wife doesn't have a clue what I do with the hobby, she knows I enjoy it and that I've been doing it since I was a kid.

The wife doesn't read this B-board (thank God) else she'd probably about crap if she knew how much I spent on one item without letting her know how much. It was about $20K. With my luck somehow she'll accidentally run into this post and then I'll have hell to pay....

For those that have had a "relatively" large purchase without the wife (or just about a wife) knowing about it and later finding out: How did she react? :eek::p

I've told this story a few times, but I suppose once more can't hurt:
When I decided to buy the Plank in my avatar Sisi and I had been together for over a year. She knew that I collected, but mostly small cards. When I said that I would spend five figures for the Plank she said absolutely not. We argued, and it ended with me telling her that I would get the card and she could leave if she didn't like it. When she realized that I meant it she gave up and even loaned me the money for the card (I had planned on taking a loan from my 401K).

That was in 2006. Three years later the all white Plank (sort of a half sister to my card) sold for double what I paid for my card, and she began to understand that cards go up in value, and big cards go up the most. Then in 2013 the white Plank sold for 3 1/2 times what it sold for in 2009. We watched that auction closely. :D

Ever since then she has acted like getting the Plank was her idea to begin with. :rolleyes:

lowpopper 11-26-2018 05:33 PM

The Wonder years took place in the late 60's. There is a scene where Kevin holds a big pile of 1989 topps.

Winnie Cooper had super hairy arms.