Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   1941 Goudey Al Todd (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=276580)

cubman1941 12-04-2019 06:15 AM

1941 Goudey Al Todd

I am looking at 2 1941 Goudey #28 Al Todd's. One is graded Authentic with the name and position at the bottom. The other is not graded but shows the name at the top. Were there different versions printed?
Thanks.

BabyRuth 12-04-2019 06:34 AM

name at the top cards are just miscuts. The 41s are a great set - The Debs Garms card seems to be the toughest of all to get.

brianp-beme 12-04-2019 10:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
They are miscuts like Jim said. If anyone ever wants to collect PreWW2 sets that are rife with miscuts, then their choice is either 1941 Goudey or E220 National Caramels.

Brian

cubman1941 12-04-2019 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BabyRuth (Post 1935971)
name at the top cards are just miscuts. The 41s are a great set - The Debs Garms card seems to be the toughest of all to get.

I thought so also at first but - name team position at top correct picture below
correct picture then name team position. Did they do multiples of a player on a sheet and that is on the miscut happened? I agree these are a great set. Thanks.

brianp-beme 12-04-2019 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cubman1941 (Post 1936129)
I thought so also at first but - name team position at top correct picture below
correct picture then name team position. Did they do multiples of a player on a sheet and that is on the miscut happened? I agree these are a great set. Thanks.

The ones I remember seeing that were miscut in that fashion had the same correct info on top and bottom as you mentioned. I assume that means the sheets had vertical rows with some card duplication.

Brian

cubman1941 12-05-2019 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianp-beme (Post 1936192)
The ones I remember seeing that were miscut in that fashion had the same correct info on top and bottom as you mentioned. I assume that means the sheets had vertical rows with some card duplication.

Brian

Brian,
Thanks.

Jim

Rascal1010 12-05-2019 06:59 AM

Jim,

I know when I was putting together my rainbow of '41 Goudey Al Todd cards, it was really tough to find examples that weren't miscut. The Todd card was not one of the SP cards, and they are relatively easy to find, just tough to find ones that aren't miscut. I may have a couple still laying around if your still looking, may be lower condition, but not miscut. Are you looking for any color in particular?

Steve

cubman1941 12-05-2019 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rascal1010 (Post 1936259)
Jim,

I know when I was putting together my rainbow of '41 Goudey Al Todd cards, it was really tough to find examples that weren't miscut. The Todd card was not one of the SP cards, and they are relatively easy to find, just tough to find ones that aren't miscut. I may have a couple still laying around if your still looking, may be lower condition, but not miscut. Are you looking for any color in particular?

Steve

Steve,

I am just getting the Cubs from the '41 Goudey. I only have a few -

WARSTLER - YELLOW

TODD - GREEN and YELLOW

Thanks,

Jim

BleedinBlue 12-05-2019 03:11 PM

41 Goudey Love

I fell in love with this quirky set and now have 2 master sets plus another 150 duplicates. Miscuts seem to be more common than properly cut cards. At least in a few cases.

Nearly all the vertical name on top versions I’ve seen have the correct name in the wrong location indicating the sheet repeated players vertically. However I do own one card with a different name on top than the player pictured so this is not universal.

All the side to side miscuts I’ve seen show the player numbered next to the player pictured or the edge of the sheet.

cubman1941 12-05-2019 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BleedinBlue (Post 1936384)
I fell in love with this quirky set and now have 2 master sets plus another 150 duplicates. Miscuts seem to be more common than properly cut cards. At least in a few cases.

Nearly all the vertical name on top versions I’ve seen have the correct name in the wrong location indicating the sheet repeated players vertically. However I do own one card with a different name on top than the player pictured so this is not universal.

All the side to side miscuts I’ve seen show the player numbered next to the player pictured or the edge of the sheet.

Thanks much. Appreciate the information. Been collecting Cubs over 40 years and always learning - that's the fun part.