Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Help Defining "Type 1 " Photo ; is this one ? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=276483)

MikeGarcia 12-01-2019 05:34 PM

Help Defining "Type 1 " Photo ; is this one ?

http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/204295...r_0002_NEW.jpg

...measures 6'' x 8'' ---the back has the standard blue stamp from the Associated Press and the usual warnings and alerts to editors and a date stamp that matches the slug and some fountain pen letters/numbers up in the corner and the player's name writ large , also in a cursive fountain pen.....would this be a "type 1" ?? Thanks , guys , I know squat about photo definitions. MG54

Bicem 12-01-2019 05:47 PM

Post the back.

MikeGarcia 12-01-2019 06:12 PM

Back

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bicem (Post 1935349)
Post the back.

,,http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/204295...ENBACK_NEW.JPG

..the hurried " 10 / 8 / 35 '' is upside down
..I hope this helps... thanks

Bicem 12-01-2019 06:17 PM

Type one.

MikeGarcia 12-01-2019 06:31 PM

Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bicem (Post 1935363)
Type one.

..Thanks ; now I can bid a lot wilder in the Heritage Auction next weekend...banging heads with Tim and Leon gets pricey and my doctor says I'm forbidden to sell any more blood this calendar year. Type one Greenberg it is. Now I've got some PM's to send....

Exhibitman 12-03-2019 11:37 AM

You do realize Type I is a marketing construct of PSA and is not applicable to anything other than a PSA certified photo.

PSA Photograph Type Classification
Type I – A 1st generation photograph, developed from the original negative, during the period (within approximately two years of when the picture was taken).
Type II – A photograph, developed from the original negative, during the period (more than approximately two years after the picture was taken).
Type III – A 2nd generation photograph, developed from a duplicate negative or wire transmission, during the period (within approximately two years of when the picture was taken).
Type IV – A 2nd generation photograph (or 3rd or later generation), developed from a duplicate negative or wire transmission, during a later period (more than approximately two years after the picture was taken).

What you've posted certainly looks to be a vintage 1935-issued first-generation photo based on the stamping and the attached slug.

steve B 12-03-2019 02:58 PM

The lack of clarity/contrast must be from the scan then?

It doesn't seem sharp enough to be from the original negative. Copy negative is more likely.

D. Bergin 12-03-2019 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve B (Post 1935820)
The lack of clarity/contrast must be from the scan then?

It doesn't seem sharp enough to be from the original negative. Copy negative is more likely.

Based on the lack of clarity of the tag, i'd say it's from the scan.

I also think there's way more photo's from copy negs out there, then many people realize..........and I don't think there's anything wrong with that, or should have much to do with value, as long as it's of the era, and the photo appears to be professionally done.

One of the biggest flaws in the type system is the use of the phase "developed from the original negative". Most vintage publicity photos are from larger format copy negs, so the graphic artist of the time period can work the photo into it's final presented format. A print from a skillfully cropped and produced copy neg should be almost impossible to tell from the original that came out of the camera.

Whether that Greenberg press photo is technically a "Type 1" or not, I'd guess they'd give it a "Type 1" designation, because that's a can or worms they likely do not want to open up.

horzverti 12-04-2019 10:19 AM

This is a Type 1 photo. The back is dated...twice. Once in the slug and once in the stamp. The ink handwriting also includes a third date, but I wouldn't consider this as a factor to determine type because this could have been added later.

It was also cropped from the original neg. You can see some writing in the upper left edge. That writing was probably wax pen on the orig neg. Most photos are cropped at least a bit.

Mike, you can feel confident that this is an original, Type 1 photo.

Exhibitman 12-04-2019 10:57 AM

Great point, Dave. Original negs were valuable; the owners did not want to degrade them by using them to make hundreds of prints, so they routinely created copies and used them. That's why I've always paid the most attention to the markings and slugs, which are hard to fake convincingly, and silvering on certain types of photos (which is nearly impossible to fake). I suppose we'll see some forged stamps and slugs eventually for extremely valuable photos but at least up to now it hasn't been cost-effective to do so.

steve B 12-04-2019 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D. Bergin (Post 1935873)
Based on the lack of clarity of the tag, i'd say it's from the scan.

I also think there's way more photo's from copy negs out there, then many people realize..........and I don't think there's anything wrong with that, or should have much to do with value, as long as it's of the era, and the photo appears to be professionally done.

One of the biggest flaws in the type system is the use of the phase "developed from the original negative". Most vintage publicity photos are from larger format copy negs, so the graphic artist of the time period can work the photo into it's final presented format. A print from a skillfully cropped and produced copy neg should be almost impossible to tell from the original that came out of the camera.

Whether that Greenberg press photo is technically a "Type 1" or not, I'd guess they'd give it a "Type 1" designation, because that's a can or worms they likely do not want to open up.

That all makes sense to me, except the "original negative" part. If they're not willing or able to go there, why put it in the description at all?

It's true that a print from a well done copy negative is really hard to tell from a print from an original negative. They really should make that distinction some other way.

The difference between a print from the original negative near when it was taken and a much later print from the same negative is pretty crazy, especially if the modern print from the original negative might be better.
For art photographs the original print could also be printed years after the picture was taken. http://anseladams.com/shop-online/