Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   T205 error by PSA and Probstein (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=249450)

ctownboy 12-29-2017 10:43 PM

T205 error by PSA and Probstein

Did anyone else see this error in a listing on eBay? In looking at my T205 cards to see if I had a newly found Archer "variation" I saw that I had a Jimmy Collins card that I forgot about.

In looking at listings on eBay to see what graded Jimmy Collins cards are selling for (all of my cards are ungraded) I saw this listing. The card is of Eddie Collins but both PSA and Probstein have it as Jimmy Collins.

How could they BOTH miss it and was the price paid what a Jimmy Collins would normally sell for, an Eddie Collins or do both players sell for about the same?

David

eBay listing 382315030423

oldjudge 12-29-2017 10:58 PM

LOL, do you think Probstein knows the difference between Jimmy Collins, Eddie Collins, or Landon Collins who plays for the Giants? Shame on PSA though.

Leon 12-30-2017 08:33 AM

Eddie, Jimmy....not much of a difference. :) Card went for about where it should have. Jimmy might have actually brought a little more being a Minor Leaguer.... Had they bothered to read the back it would have corrected them.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/T205-Gold-B...p2047675.l2557

Aquarian Sports Cards 12-30-2017 08:52 AM

Someone got a sweet deal at $153 for a PSA 4. Don't understand how PSA can mess this up, especially since there are two poses of the Eddie Collins Mouth Closed and Mouth Open. I guess they thought this was the rare Jimmy Collins Major League Portrait appearing on a team he played for two years before the set was released variation...

Did start me thinking though. Wonder if Eddie Collins has the highest career batting average to never win a batting title? Be easy enough to check I guess, but I'm lazy :)

rats60 12-30-2017 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 1733981)
Someone got a sweet deal at $153 for a PSA 4. Don't understand how PSA can mess this up, especially since there are two poses of the Eddie Collins Mouth Closed and Mouth Open. I guess they thought this was the rare Jimmy Collins Major League Portrait appearing on a team he played for two years before the set was released variation...

Did start me thinking though. Wonder if Eddie Collins has the highest career batting average to never win a batting title? Be easy enough to check I guess, but I'm lazy :)

Joe Jackson has the 3rd highest lifetime batting average, but never won a batting title. Finished 2nd 3 times, 3rd twice and 4th twice.

Aquarian Sports Cards 12-30-2017 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rats60 (Post 1733987)
Joe Jackson has the 3rd highest lifetime batting average, but never won a batting title. Finished 2nd 3 times, 3rd twice and 4th twice.

OK smarty pants lol.

Sean 12-30-2017 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rats60 (Post 1733987)

... including the year he hit .408, and Cobb hit .420. :eek:

Misunderestimated 12-30-2017 04:25 PM

At this grade Jimmy would go for quite a bit more -- at PSA 6 or 7 the difference would be very very significant ... <If anyone had a 7 please let me know, I'd love to try to pry it away>
FYI:
A PSA 4 Eddie Collins (closed mouth -- the more common) goes for around $225
A PSA 4 Jimmy Collins goes for about $400 kinda a tough card -- a very cool card by the way that shows him batting as a Minor Leaguer with Providence (now star players from the Majors retire and own teams like Jeter)
The buyer of this one will have to deal with the hassle of getting it correctly holdered which is "free" (except for postage)....
I view Probstein as a very efficient "clearing house" and he sold a PSA holder that said "T205 Jimmy Collins PSA 4 VG-EX".... I'm not sure I expect much more (low expectations I know). PSA is the party at fault .... I wonder about the consignor to Probstein did he know or care?

pokerplyr80 12-30-2017 09:31 PM

Yea I don't really place much blame on probstein for this one. As big as the operation is I wouldn't be surprised if he pays someone to scan the images and create the listings. You can't expect them to research every card and make sure the correct player is listed on the flip.

Leon 12-31-2017 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 (Post 1734189)
Yea I don't really place mich blame on probation for this one. As big as the operation is I wouldn't be surprised if he pays someone to scan the images and create the listings. You can't expect them to research every card and make sure the correct player is listed on the flip.

Probation? What's on your mind? :)

pokerplyr80 12-31-2017 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1734223)
Probation? What's on your mind? :)

Lol, auto correct.