Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Gathering Cards for a PSA Piggybacking Submission for AUGUST - CARDS BACK!! (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=243039)

bobbyw8469 08-01-2017 11:30 AM

I have to check value.....and crossovers aren't permitted here. In order for it to go, you'd have to "crack it out". That's a whole 'nother ball of wax....

7nohitter 08-01-2017 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 (Post 1686035)
I have to check value.....and crossovers aren't permitted here. In order for it to go, you'd have to "crack it out". That's a whole 'nother ball of wax....

Roger that. Thank you.
I usually crack all my cards out, so I'm adept at that at least!

JollyElm 08-01-2017 02:04 PM

Hey, Bobby, a couple of questions for you:

1. What is the cut-off date to be included in this?
2. You said shipping is $1. That's to get the cards from you to PSA, correct? What about the return shipping to get the graded cards from your hands back into ours?
3. This always comes up, but when there is a $100 limit, how in heck is that determined? What is the basis for it? For instance, I have a few variations that I would like to get graded, but how do I determine what their 'value' is, especially if you can't find any sort of sales history? Could people PM you a list of cards they are going to include, so you can decide if they fit the parameters of this project?

Thank you.

--elm

bobbyw8469 08-01-2017 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyElm (Post 1686085)
Hey, Bobby, a couple of questions for you:

1. What is the cut-off date to be included in this?
2. You said shipping is $1. That's to get the cards from you to PSA, correct? What about the return shipping to get the graded cards from your hands back into ours?
3. This always comes up, but when there is a $100 limit, how in heck is that determined? What is the basis for it? For instance, I have a few variations that I would like to get graded, but how do I determine what their 'value' is, especially if you can't find any sort of sales history? Could people PM you a list of cards they are going to include, so you can decide if they fit the parameters of this project?

Thank you.

--elm

The $1 per card is for shipping from NC to California, and from California back to NC. You are responsible for individual shipping back to yourself, once they come back, but it is a fair shipping value, as I don't gouge at all like PSA does. I ship using actual cost (or as close to it as I can....I may charge .25 for packing peanuts or something, but when I tell people a total, that is pretty much what it cost to ship the package. - You can ask others who have submitted thru me - I don't gouge). I weigh the packages on my scale, and if it is below 16 ounces, it can go first class. Over 16 has to go Priority Mail. As far as determining values, I am a VCP member. I don't mind helping on a few, but don't have me looking up a whole bunch. We all know pretty much which cards are above and below $100. PSA is pretty lenient, but they don't want to see Hank Aaron/Mickey Mantle rookies on a bulk sub. Ebay complete listings should also give a good idea of value as well.

JollyElm 08-01-2017 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 (Post 1686087)
The $1 per card is for shipping from NC to California, and from California back to NC. You are responsible for individual shipping back to yourself, once they come back, but it is a fair shipping value, as I don't gouge at all like PSA does. I ship using actual cost (or as close to it as I can....I may charge .25 for packing peanuts or something, but when I tell people a total, that is pretty much what it cost to ship the package. - You can ask others who have submitted thru me - I don't gouge). I weigh the packages on my scale, and if it is below 16 ounces, it can go first class. Over 16 has to go Priority Mail. As far as determining values, I am a VCP member. I don't mind helping on a few, but don't have me looking up a whole bunch. We all know pretty much which cards are above and below $100. PSA is pretty lenient, but they don't want to see Hank Aaron/Mickey Mantle rookies on a bulk sub. Ebay complete listings should also give a good idea of value as well.

No, no, no. I was in no way suggesting you gouge or anything like that. That never even remotely entered my mind. I was simply looking for specifics, so people (me included) would have all the information spelled out for them here.

Thanks.

bobbyw8469 08-01-2017 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyElm (Post 1686090)
No, no, no. I was in no way suggesting you gouge or anything like that. That never even remotely entered my mind. I was simply looking for specifics, so people (me included) would have all the information spelled out for them here.

Thanks.

Oh ok....I thought you had subbed with me before?? Maybe I'm mistaken? I used to do these on the PSA boards, and they were very popular over there. But that board has lost a lot of good members (and some not so good ones), and is a shell of its' former self.

JollyElm 08-01-2017 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 (Post 1686091)
Oh ok....I thought you had subbed with me before?? Maybe I'm mistaken? I used to do these on the PSA boards, and they were very popular over there. But that board has lost a lot of good members (and some not so good ones), and is a shell of its' former self.

No, I have never actually had any of my cards graded before, but I know I have to take the leap at some point. Do you have a deadline in mind for this undertaking?

bobbyw8469 08-01-2017 03:11 PM

I would LIKE them by August 21st, but unlike the monthly specials, there is technically no deadline for the Bulk special.....

swarmee 08-01-2017 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyElm (Post 1686085)
3. This always comes up, but when there is a $100 limit, how in heck is that determined? What is the basis for it? For instance, I have a few variations that I would like to get graded, but how do I determine what their 'value' is, especially if you can't find any sort of sales history?

PSA recommends you use the raw replacement value for the same card in the same raw condition. So even if you think your card may grade an 8 and be worth $300, you can submit it as a $75 value. They use it for determining return insurance and for being insured while in PSA's hands in case it is damaged. So if for some reason the card is lost or damaged in PSA's hands, they'll probably reimburse you the $75 or $99 you claimed, not the $300 a PSA 8 would be worth after it's graded.
On the last PSA bulk sub from blowout forums, a card was submitted as a $30 value for a 1977 football HOFer that ended up grading a 10. It might be worth $1000 now that it's the POP 1 PSA 10 (PSA 9s had an SMR of $250), but PSA let it fly through the shipment without being upgraded to a higher service level.

For the guy considering cracking a BGS 93 SP Jeter, PSA will be very tough on that card. It has to measure exactly 3.5"x2.5" or PSA will mail it back ungraded as MINSIZREQ. Then you have an ungraded Jeter RC you'll have to mail back to BGS with your tail between your legs.

bobbyw8469 08-01-2017 05:16 PM

I have nothing to add to what Swarmee said....he is 100% right...on BOTH counts.