Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Net 54 Leads to a Reunion between 2 childhood friends (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=114830)

RichardSimon 08-08-2009 03:31 PM

Net 54 Leads to a Reunion between 2 childhood friends

When I was a kid growing up in the Bronx, I had a good friend named Bobby Pomilla. We played a lot of ball together and went to the same schools.
I noticed the name Bob Pomilla on Net 54 and dropped him a note asking him if he grew up in the Bronx. Sure enough it was my old friend.
We just met for a three hour lunch today and had a wonderful time. The stories we remembered,,, stickball playing, off the point leading to breaking a few windows :):), softball, hardball, basketball and the guys and girls we remembered. (oh sweet Angela) :):)
Thanks Net54 for bringing two old friends back together.

FrankWakefield 08-08-2009 04:41 PM

Great story, great post.

Thanks for posting. Stuff like that is one of the ways this board does some good.

David Atkatz 08-08-2009 04:56 PM

Where in the Bronx, Richard? (I'm a Bronx boy, too--University Heights.)

Off the point, huh? How about Captain, Johnny-on-a-Pony, or Ringelevio?

brickyardkennedy 08-08-2009 04:57 PM

And I think we showed great restraint in limiting ourselves to three hours, Rich. :D

Great getting together!

Jay Wolt 08-08-2009 05:08 PM

Prior to today, when was the last time you were together?

wrapperguy 08-08-2009 05:23 PM

3 in the same village

Richard,
That is awesome. I would love to talk to some of my old collecting friends from my youth.
Another interesting story is that I was trying to work a trade with Greg Ecklund for a 1923-24 Exhibit. He sends me his address and it is a mile north of me. While doing the trade in person, we discover that Greg went to high school with Board member Steve Murray's son. Steve and I are doing a deal this week. Who would have thought that 3 Board members would be in the same town?

RichardSimon 08-08-2009 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Wolt (Post 741051)
Prior to today, when was the last time you were together?

We were probably last together about 48 years ago.
We lived on Vyse Avenue and 174th Street.

Jacklitsch 08-08-2009 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrapperguy (Post 741052)
Steve and I are doing a deal this week. Who would have thought that 3 Board members would be in the same town?

And it's cleaning lady day to boot. I'm pumped. :)

Peter_Spaeth 08-08-2009 06:29 PM

Good things happen when people use their real names and don't hide behind some nom de board.

daviddbreadman 08-08-2009 06:32 PM

real name

My real name is David D. Breadman :)

Bamacollection 08-08-2009 09:14 PM

I prefer Bama Col Lection!!!;)
Lance Galloway

Potomac Yank 08-09-2009 12:20 AM

Richard, this is what it's all about

Simon/Pomilla, two companeros from Da Bronx ... Johnny and the pony 1.2.3.
Great story, great memories.

Richard, I'm not from Da Bronx, I'm from the upper east side of Manhattan - El Barrio, and went to Seward Park H.S. in the lower east side.
While there during the late 1940's, I got my hot knishes from the street cart vendors on Grand St and DeLancey (I'm salivating as I write this.)
Some of Da Bronx schools that I played football against at Randalls Island were Clinton, Monroe and Columbus.

Thanks for the memories. :)
Joe Pelaez

PS. Richard, during the 1980's, at several shows, I've picked up a few auto's from you. Thank you.

Kawika 08-09-2009 01:03 AM

Gee, but I'd give the world to see that old gang of mine

Another New Yawkah checking in. This photo was taken at a ballgame in the Bronx in 1958. That's me on the right with some of my homies from Spanish Harlem, Dino, Pony Boy and Joey P. Wonder what became of them.

http://photos.imageevent.com/kawika_...ps/FamMov1.jpg

Minerscoin 08-09-2009 01:50 AM

Richard,
That is a great you guys got reunited. I am still looking for that son of a b____ that stole my girl in in the 7th grade.
Thanks for reminding me.
Mark

RichardSimon 08-09-2009 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Potomac Yank (Post 741121)
Simon/Pomilla, two companeros from Da Bronx ... Johnny and the pony 1.2.3.
Great story, great memories.

Richard, I'm not from Da Bronx, I'm from the upper east side of Manhattan - El Barrio, and went to Seward Park H.S. in the lower east side.
While there during the late 1940's, I got my hot knishes from the street cart vendors on Grand St and DeLancey (I'm salivating as I write this.)
Some of Da Bronx schools that I played football against at Randalls Island were Clinton, Monroe and Columbus.

Thanks for the memories. :)
Joe Pelaez

PS. Richard, during the 1980's, at several shows, I've picked up a few auto's from you. Thank you.

I went to Monroe. Ed Kranepool was a year ahead of me when I was there. We had terrific baseball teams and I went to many games. One year we made the city finals against Curtis HS but we lost 5-4 :(.

RichardSimon 08-09-2009 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Atkatz (Post 741049)
Where in the Bronx, Richard? (I'm a Bronx boy, too--University Heights.)

Off the point, huh? How about Captain, Johnny-on-a-Pony, or Ringelevio?

David - how about 3 box baseball and hockey with sneakers on :). I was a great pitcher :) in 3 box baseball, with a deadly stopper pitch (I think that is what we called it,, the one with the backspin).
Off the point - over the first floor windows across the street = HOME RUN.
I was also the self proclaimed trivia king of my neighborhood. My friends would pull out Baseball Digest, which naturally had the rosters of all 16 teams on the back pages. I could name every guy on every team.
Cannot do that now :),,, but I think my son could come pretty close.

Potomac Yank 08-09-2009 10:31 AM

Monroe field

Richard, in 1950 we played Monroe on their field.
I played right end, sixty minutes in those days, good hands no speed.
Two things that I remember from that game.

1. Your end zone, a short distance after the goal line, was a stone wall.
I was having a good game, everything that touched my fingers was mine, but when we got close to the goal line, everyting that was thrown to me, was just out of my reach, and bouncing off that stone wall. :(

2. Monroe beat us. :( :( ..... With passage of time. :)

slantycouch 08-10-2009 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardSimon (Post 741055)
We were probably last together about 48 years ago.
We lived on Vyse Avenue and 174th Street.

Awesome story!

What a great hobby.

slantycouch 08-10-2009 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kawika (Post 741125)
Another New Yawkah checking in. This photo was taken at a ballgame in the Bronx in 1958. That's me on the right with some of my homies from Spanish Harlem, Dino, Pony Boy and Joey P. Wonder what became of them.

That's an awesome photo - looks like a screenshot from a movie!

JasonL 08-10-2009 10:56 AM

A great town to do business in

Having grown up in Arl Hts, IL, -and completed a few successful, easy and helpful deals with Steve Murray over the past several years, I am pleased to hear of other stand-up collectors in the same fine municipality!

Go Huskies!

wrapperguy 08-11-2009 10:15 PM

deal went down

Jason,
That is awesome. If you played in the AHYBA, I probably reffed your games as I have been working that league since I student taught in town in 1977. Deal with Steve worked out great today, as you might have expected. I picked up some Dietsche and Morgan Red Belt postcards and he got a C46 McGinnity, a Grignon, a Hooper Collins-McCarthy, etc. Everybody happy and no money changed hands. It was a beautiful thing!

danc 08-11-2009 10:26 PM

Hey Rich,

You are on the wrong site if you are looking for Angela.

:-)

DanC

Jacklitsch 08-12-2009 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrapperguy (Post 741725)
Jason,
That is awesome. If you played in the AHYBA, I probably reffed your games as I have been working that league since I student taught in town in 1977. Deal with Steve worked out great today, as you might have expected. I picked up some Dietsche and Morgan Red Belt postcards and he got a C46 McGinnity, a Grignon, a Hooper Collins-McCarthy, etc. Everybody happy and no money changed hands. It was a beautiful thing!

Jeff was a pleasure to deal with. Those two hours of haggling (not really) went by so fast. I'm really pleased to have picked up the C46 McGinnity though I had to convince Jeff that it was Bob McGinnity not Joe before he would throw it into the mix. I also picked up some nice R314s in the trade.

Thanks!!