Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   war_eagle_vintage maybe Battlefields twin? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=247588)

PiratesWS1979 11-15-2017 10:29 AM

n?

nn

mechanicalman 11-15-2017 10:54 AM

Wow. Good bet. She's from Alabama, right? The War Eagle reference is telling (as are the photoshopped pics and overly embellished descriptions).

savedfrommyspokes 11-15-2017 11:57 AM

Good catch. In the feedback war-eagle has left for others, the listing's titles seem to match perfectly to battlefields.

https://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA...rchInterval=30

Their shipping "polices" seem to match up to battlefields also. Same blue background and no back scans, like battlefield.

Coincidentally, ebay is running an offer where if you list/sell 500 items before Nov 18, there is a 20 percent discount on FVF....maybe trying to take advantage of this promo.

Love the back story though.

Rhotchkiss 11-15-2017 03:51 PM

Great catch, definitely may be the same. War Eagle is Auburn's battle cry, no? And Battlefield is from Alabama? Larry, you are a regular inspector gadget!

chalupacollects 11-15-2017 04:27 PM

Appears that all stuff listed in their store is certainly TPG worthy...so why push it raw if not photo-shopped?

MikeGarcia 11-18-2017 04:34 AM

New listings from seller:

.I just checked out the new stuff listed last night and if these are all legitimate holdings , there should be heavily-armed security all around that home....museum-quality jaw-dropping cards , no back scans , virtually identical descriptions except for the name change in the first line.....this should be fun to watch....I'll take the Cobb and one of the Gehrigs....

MikeGarcia 11-18-2017 04:44 AM

Good catch in the feedback

Quote:

Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes (Post 1720364)
Good catch. In the feedback war-eagle has left for others, the listing's titles seem to match perfectly to battlefields.

https://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA...rchInterval=30

Their shipping "polices" seem to match up to battlefields also. Same blue background and no back scans, like battlefield.

Coincidentally, ebay is running an offer where if you list/sell 500 items before Nov 18, there is a 20 percent discount on FVF....maybe trying to take advantage of this promo.

Love the back story though.

Yup ...I just saw the "BREATHTAKING" "SPECTACULAR" and excclamation points about nine feedbacks down

Leon 11-18-2017 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeGarcia (Post 1721320)
Yup ...I just saw the "BREATHTAKING" "SPECTACULAR" and excclamation points about nine feedbacks down

It's going to be a bloodbath of returns when the buyers find out they have been ripped off. This Battlefield ID will get hosed up with negatives just like the other one. I don't know where Karma is for this seller but it has to be around the corner. No one can do that much bad stuff for so long and not have bad luck. I certainly wish them the worst :)...

PiratesWS1979 11-18-2017 07:16 AM

I do have to admit the player quality is, dare I say, BREATHTAKING!! Now if only the green Cobb would show.

MikeGarcia 11-18-2017 07:49 AM

Breathtaking

Quote:

Originally Posted by PiratesWS1979 (Post 1721345)
I do have to admit the player quality is, dare I say, BREATHTAKING!! Now if only the green Cobb would show.

..outside of opening a brand new Topps pack in the fall of 1952 , I have never before seen that kind of unslabbed quality as in those scans..they are artists...

bmattioli 11-18-2017 08:29 AM

I don't understand what they plan on accomplishing if these are bogus auctions and you win but are protected via Paypal.. What would be the point of doing this??

After reading more about there shenanigans I see their agenda is photoshopping which is wrong..

REDSOX42 11-18-2017 08:34 AM

Why would anyone sell this quality of high-grade cards raw??

Notice all of the PWCC buys over the last 6 months??

Yoda 11-18-2017 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by REDSOX42 (Post 1721381)
Why would anyone sell this quality of high-grade cards raw??

Notice all of the PWCC buys over the last 6 months??

Always the key question.

abothebear 11-18-2017 03:12 PM

It is a shame, dragging one of the best battle cries/friendly greetings down like that.

Yoda 11-18-2017 11:57 PM

Some very spirited bidding on some of Battle Cry's top raw cards. For example, a '33 Goudey Gehrig just went for over 7 grand. My instincts sort of tell me that Battle Cry is not Battlefields. If I am wrong and the cards have been messed with, watch out for fireworks.

Yoda 11-19-2017 12:04 AM

I meant War Eagle not Battle Cry. Way past my bedtime.

Batpig 11-19-2017 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 1721645)
Some very spirited bidding on some of Battle Cry's top raw cards. For example, a '33 Goudey Gehrig just went for over 7 grand. My instincts sort of tell me that Battle Cry is not Battlefields. If I am wrong and the cards have been messed with, watch out for fireworks.

It's almost certainly the same person/people. Same location, same MO. Acquire trimmed/altered cards or cards with slight but noticeable imperfections, crack them out, clean up the picture, and sell as NM raw. Offer fast refunds and just keep reselling until a buyer doesn't complain. Boost good feedback by selling large quantities of legit lower end cards.

bbcardzman 11-19-2017 07:29 AM

Battlefield = war eagle

If you do a search for Battlefield auctions you will find none.
She always has 100's of items listed and now she has none.
We know eBay won't do anything about her.
Now a new seller comes up but uses the same blue background.
And from the same area. It's not that hard to figure this moron out.
Should have picked a name not so closely related to your last one, Carol.
Battlefield0516 = war_eagle_vintage
SAME IDIOT

PS - Also noticed that she has won quite a few PWCC auctions. Has feedback that can't be checked out because it's over a year old and her negative feedback doesn't show up on her profile. This was probably her backup account to use whenever the other one got suspended. Or she just faked the whole thing.

Jenx34 11-19-2017 01:13 PM

I wonder if the Battlefield account did get suspended or something? Seems strange that a "thriving business" would all of a sudden have 0 listings.

The only other thing I can add to what has already been said, is the "new" Battlefield also uses Auctiva software. Auctiva software isn't bad itself (I use their free tools, but never subscribed), but too many similarities. Would take a long time to completely learn new software to upload that many listings in such a short time.

I like the story about "my wife and I recently retired" and I decided to sell my personal collection. A nice way to try and legitimize a lack of selling history to unknowing buyers.

Edwolf1963 11-19-2017 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenx34 (Post 1721784)
I wonder if the Battlefield account did get suspended or something? Seems strange that a "thriving business" would all of a sudden have 0 listings.

I wonder as well? I can’t remember a time since the whole battlefield issue came in the focus (last few years now) where she didn’t have something listed? I would think if suspended, though, there would be some inability to search/find? Not sure how they handle that. Perhaps, as well, she set up this new account knowing the suspension day may soon be around the corner as the negatives continue to pile on the battlefield name?

clydepepper 11-19-2017 01:40 PM

I am just thankful to be a member of this board and that alert members like Larry B. are considerate enough to share what they find.

Thank you Larry and to any others who warn all of us before we become victims.

-

Yoda 11-19-2017 03:14 PM

Now there is no doubt I my mind that War Eagle is indeed Battlefields. I liked the tale of retiring, selling the collection amassed over a lifetime, etc. and thought the seller just might be legitimate. Wrong, since as other astute observers have pointed out, Battlefields has no current offerings at the moment. Just a coincidence. Doubt it.
I got caught. Won the '55 Bowman Mantle last, which has already been shipped. Will see when card received. Glad I didn't indulge myself with the beautiful '33 Goudey Gehrig, which fetched over 7K, or the DS Greenberg for 1.3 K.
This could be the swan song of Battlefields, a.k.a. War Eagle. Take the money and run or set up under a new nom de plume.

Batpig 11-19-2017 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 1721817)
Now there is no doubt I my mind that War Eagle is indeed Battlefields. I liked the tale of retiring, selling the collection amassed over a lifetime, etc. and thought the seller just might be legitimate. Wrong, since as other astute observers have pointed out, Battlefields has no current offerings at the moment. Just a coincidence. Doubt it.
I got caught. Won the '55 Bowman Mantle last, which has already been shipped. Will see when card received. Glad I didn't indulge myself with the beautiful '33 Goudey Gehrig, which fetched over 7K, or the DS Greenberg for 1.3 K.
This could be the swan song of Battlefields, a.k.a. War Eagle. Take the money and run or set up under a new nom de plume.

Update us when you get the Mantle.

bmattioli 11-19-2017 04:56 PM

Wasn't there a neg in their feedback earlier in the day? Now it's gone? Also they claim to be a member since 1 Apr 11, April Fools Day..

Jenx34 11-19-2017 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 1721817)

Return it. No reason is required, but inspect it carefully and if there is ANY difference between the card and the scan, file a return and demand they pay return shipping. I did and got a return shipping label in hours. If not, just return it if you don't mind paying return shipping.

When you paid, did you see the name on the Paypal account?

In a perfect world, I'd love it if members on this board won every single item listed and returned 100% of them!

Kingcobb 11-20-2017 05:32 AM

War Eagle

Thanks for the heads up she had me hooked with a few of the T206's.

h2oya311 11-20-2017 10:09 AM

nice catch...I suspected it looked a lot like battlefield, but the flat out lie about retiring and selling his/her life-long collection had me slightly fooled and I bought it. There were some really STUNNING cards there (pun intended).

And for those who wonder why they sell raw, it's because there's usually a slight flaw and they photoshop it so the buyer thinks they are getting a steal from an unsuspecting seller. Unbeknownst to the buyer, they are the one getting ripped off! Many choose to not return the items because they feel guilty that they were getting such a good deal from a poor old retired person. Haha! jokes on you!

Anyway, thanks for alerting us!

Regards,
Derek

danmckee 11-21-2017 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1721334)
It's going to be a bloodbath of returns when the buyers find out they have been ripped off. This Battlefield ID will get hosed up with negatives just like the other one. I don't know where Karma is for this seller but it has to be around the corner. No one can do that much bad stuff for so long and not have bad luck. I certainly wish them the worst :)...

Funny thing is.... I was researching this exact comparison and figured I would come here to check if anyone else noticed.

Obviously old news!

I think it is a dead give away that they are one in the same.

danmckee 11-21-2017 09:24 AM

Battlefield0516 has tons of negative feedback yet:

"Top rated seller with highest buyer ratings"

Ebay is atrocious

Harford20 11-21-2017 09:32 AM

I agree that War Eagle and Battlefield are the same seller. I have followed Battlefield auctions over the past 5+ years, and thankfully have never purchased any cards from that seller. I am now though, in quite a quandary as War Eagle is selling several Hartland items that I am very interested in. I realized the photos may be altered, but my question comes to authenticity. As these cannot be sent anywhere for authentication, given the Battlefield background and history, are these memorabilia items also on the AVOID AT ALL COSTS LIST?

Dave

Leon 11-21-2017 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harford20 (Post 1722470)
I agree that War Eagle and Battlefield are the same seller. I have followed Battlefield auctions over the past 5+ years, and thankfully have never purchased any cards from that seller. I am now though, in quite a quandary as War Eagle is selling several Hartland items that I am very interested in. I realized the photos may be altered, but my question comes to authenticity. As these cannot be sent anywhere for authentication, given the Battlefield background and history, are these memorabilia items also on the AVOID AT ALL COSTS LIST?

Dave

Why avoid them? You know Hartlands and their MO is to give immediate refunds. Just make sure the listing offers a refund and go for it. Actually, even if not, if the item is hosed they will still have to take it back as SNAD.......Good luck..

And yes, Dan, as Battlefield is a top rated seller to ebay it makes their whole rating system 100% ineffective at doing what it is supposed to do. It could actually be a lesson in marketing on what NOT to do to instill confidence in your customer base. Everything ebay does in ratings is skewed after their complete ineptitude with that seller (to me).

danmckee 11-22-2017 06:55 AM

Quote:

Dave

Hi Dave

The Hartland original 1958 -60's boxes were reproduced but it is very easy to tell as I have a repro Johnny Unitas box. You can clearly see the dot pattern all over the box that should have solid color.

Now I have never owned 1 of the repro tags so I don't know about those but you are safe with the boxes I believe.

Dan Mckee

danmckee 11-22-2017 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1722478)
Why avoid them? You know Hartlands and their MO is to give immediate refunds. Just make sure the listing offers a refund and go for it. Actually, even if not, if the item is hosed they will still have to take it back as SNAD.......Good luck..

And yes, Dan, as Battlefield is a top rated seller to ebay it makes their whole rating system 100% ineffective at doing what it is supposed to do. It could actually be a lesson in marketing on what NOT to do to instill confidence in your customer base. Everything ebay does in ratings is skewed after their complete ineptitude with that seller (to me).

100% agree Leon

bbcardzman 11-22-2017 08:34 AM

Quote:

Dave

If you have any brains at all you would stay away from anything that Carol Battle sells. She only tries to rip off everyone on every sale, so do you think it's a good idea buying from a thief? So many people buy crap from her and are very unhappy yet don't leave negative feedback. Even if they leave negative feedback it gets wiped out by eBay because she makes them money. If people would only stop buying stuff from her period, she would not be making any money for eBay, and would be forced to quit.

Bigdaddy 11-22-2017 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbcardzman (Post 1722801)
If you have any brains at all you would stay away from anything that Carol Battle sells. She only tries to rip off everyone on every sale, so do you think it's a good idea buying from a thief? So many people buy crap from her and are very unhappy yet don't leave negative feedback. Even if they leave negative feedback it gets wiped out by eBay because she makes them money. If people would only stop buying stuff from her period, she would not be making any money for eBay, and would be forced to quit.

Exactly. Battlefield has proven time and again to be crooked, taking advantage of both the eBay marketplace rules and collectors like us.

Why support an operation like that??

ccre 11-22-2017 09:20 AM

They are selling graded cards as well. Should there be any concern with those? I've got my eye on a relatively inexpensive card.

Jenx34 11-22-2017 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccre (Post 1722819)
They are selling graded cards as well. Should there be any concern with those? I've got my eye on a relatively inexpensive card.

I guess it boils down to the point of do you want to support someone who cheats and steals, even if they aren't cheating you.

That said, there was a '52 Mantle listed by Battlefield earlier that was PSA graded, and members here found where the original card had been sold and comparing the pictures showed Battlefield's was "cleaner". So even on graded cards, I'd say buyer beware.

Jersey City Giants 11-22-2017 08:38 PM

Uhg

I just won a graded card but did not look at the seller. It’s this guy. Hope it goes well as I paid right away.

Sean 11-22-2017 09:22 PM

Jason, post pictures of the ebay scan and the card that you receive if possible.

Leon 11-22-2017 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jersey City Giants (Post 1723098)
I just won a graded card but did not look at the seller. It’s this guy. Hope it goes well as I paid right away.

There is a chance it will be ok LOL.....

Jersey City Giants 11-23-2017 03:27 PM

Yeah I should be fine but it worries me dealing with someone like this.

Yoda 11-27-2017 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Batpig (Post 1721828)
Update us when you get the Mantle.

'55 Bowman Mantle received last week shipped in a Priority Mail envelope rather than the standard USPS first class normally used by Battlefields. Also included was a nice little note signed by one Earl saying he hoped I enjoyed the card as much as he had. The card described by Earl as nrmt is quite nice but the reverse is way o/c, precluding a high grade. War Eagle has no current listings.
If I had to conjecture what is going on, I would offer the following: Carolyn Battle died last year. She was running Battlefields Ebay operations and Earl was her husband. Carol, their daughter, picked up the reigns and then ran the company. The supply of raw cards probably came from Earl who built a large collection over a lifetime. Some were, of course, photo shopped but I
doubt there was much, if any, card alteration. War Eagle, aka Earl, was created to sell the rest of his goodies, which has happened, fetching some big prices. Now perhaps they plan on riding off into the sunset counting their money. I doubt we will hear anything from them in the future. Ebay will weep for their loss of revenue. Of course, this scenario could be completely wrong and they will continue on their sinful ways.

Jenx34 11-27-2017 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 1724118)
'55 Bowman Mantle received last week shipped in a Priority Mail envelope rather than the standard USPS first class normally used by Battlefields. Also included was a nice little note signed by one Earl saying he hoped I enjoyed the card as much as he had. The card described by Earl as nrmt is quite nice but the reverse is way o/c, precluding a high grade. War Eagle has no current listings.
If I had to conjecture what is going on, I would offer the following: Carolyn Battle died last year. She was running Battlefields Ebay operations and Earl was her husband. Carol, their daughter, picked up the reigns and then ran the company. The supply of raw cards probably came from Earl who built a large collection over a lifetime. Some were, of course, photo shopped but I
doubt there was much, if any, card alteration. War Eagle, aka Earl, was created to sell the rest of his goodies, which has happened, fetching some big prices. Now perhaps they plan on riding off into the sunset counting their money. I doubt we will hear anything from them in the future. Ebay will weep for their loss of revenue. Of course, this scenario could be completely wrong and they will continue on their sinful ways.

I stated this in another thread. I finally got some replies from Battlefield regarding a delay in my refund, and while I can't be sure and I do know some women with potty mouths, the "conversation" did not come across as being from a woman. Needless to say, whoever is running the account didn't come across as being very customer oriented and not one I would ever do business again, with or without the card "issues".

Leon 11-27-2017 05:19 PM

It is quite obvious what they are doing,. Here is, what looks to be, 7k+ of fraud in these 3 auctions.

https://bid.robertedwardauctions.com...e?itemid=47056

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MICKEY-MANT...-/282733217520

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MICKEY-MANT...T/282733218833

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MICKEY-MANT...T/282733220044

Stonepony 11-27-2017 06:09 PM

Sickening

PiratesWS1979 11-27-2017 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1724244)

Battlefield has sunk even lower...and that's saying something!

dclarkraiders 11-27-2017 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stonepony (Post 1724265)
Sickening

+1

Hopefully, the buyers of these cards see this thread and take action with the appropriate authorities.

Duane Clark

PiratesWS1979 11-27-2017 06:52 PM

The auction houses should be notified and ban these scammers.

jfkheat 11-27-2017 09:27 PM

So the 55 Bowman Mantle that John, Yoda, bought was once graded authentic. I would say that he is not as happy with the card as he was earlier in the day. Hopefully something can be done to stop these scammers.
James

CW 11-27-2017 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfkheat (Post 1724372)
So the 55 Bowman Mantle that John, Yoda, bought was once graded authentic. I would say that he is not as happy with the card as he was earlier in the day. Hopefully something can be done to stop these scammers.
James

Yes, the '55 Bowman Mantle sold in REA had 2 distinct print dots in the lower right portion of the card, and these were not visible in the war eagle auction. This should be a telltale sign for John when he receives the card.