Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Negro / Cuban League GOTTA BE THE STRANGEST BASEBALL POSTCARD EVER? 1929 (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=178370)

smokelessjoe 11-05-2013 12:49 PM

Negro / Cuban League GOTTA BE THE STRANGEST BASEBALL POSTCARD EVER? 1929

3 Attachment(s)
This one is definitely different... From what I can gather on Google translate this seems to be some sort of Funeral Memorial for one or several of the players?

Can anyone explain the Cat looming over the Dead Rat?

Between the two players (Palma & Neron) translates to "Gravediggers"?

The little cross with the bubbles are numbered 1-9... Could this be how many died?

At the bottom left states "Dedicated to Mr. J. B. Sanchez"

Would love to here any and all thoughts. Searching for info on this postcard is not panning out at this time - not sure if I need to search in Spanish or what?

Thank ya'll

I cannot figure out why the scan has some blur to it? Allot more crisp in person?

Runscott 11-05-2013 01:25 PM

Very cool card.

Maybe it's announcing the disbanding of the team, or farewell to an old stadium?

nolemmings 11-05-2013 01:42 PM

from the hip.

I'll take a shot.

The Baseball Club from Manati is rubbing it in to the BBC Pro Padre, having defeated them and letting everyone know that they should RIP. The grave-diggers include the two star players from Manati who are depicted and the other seven starters listed next to them. The nine rosary beads represent the opponent players who were defeated. The cat hovering over the mouse refers to the winning team prevailing over its prey, a “rat”–maybe the Manati team was called the tigres or something similar. The entrance to the field is noted as the entrance to the “cemetery”, and the place in left field where a cross is drawn shows where the losing team “fell”. The lower pictures refer to the funeral march for the deceased and the “______” of the deceased, probably something pertaining to stadium or grandstand or gallery, etc. The small photo of “El Baustimo en el jobo” has got me beat. Jobo can mean cedar tree and it can mean spirits. I can’t tell what that photo is supposed to depict, or what water has to do with anything. Maybe it is meant to signify the spirit of someone or something known as El Baustimo?

Edited to add: Baustimo is likely misspelled for bautismo, which means baptism, which would explain the water, although I'm still not sure how that fits the theme exactly.

Exhibitman 11-05-2013 01:53 PM

It's 1920s Cuba-style trash-talking.

smokelessjoe 11-05-2013 02:10 PM

Wow guys, I am amazed. Totally different direction than what I was thinking - I just knew it had something to do with someone dying :) The Cat thing just did not add up to me though. Thank you...

Bocabirdman 11-05-2013 03:02 PM

The entrance to the graveyard.
The place where the dead fell.
Funeral March of the departed.

Yup. That be some serious smack. Either that or there was a mass murder.:D

Runscott 11-05-2013 03:52 PM

Nice, Todd!

asphaltman 11-05-2013 05:13 PM

This would be the perfect postcard today describing the Atlanta Braves postseason hopes....year after year..

birdman42 11-06-2013 01:23 PM

Isn't there a similar MLB postcard from around 1910? I seem to remember a PC showing maybe the Cubs or the Tigers (Pirates? White Sox?) with their opponent in a coffin.

Bill