Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ruth ball (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=152465)

GaryPassamonte 06-14-2012 07:55 AM

Ruth ball

1 Attachment(s)
Need opinions on this Ruth signature. Thanks.

BigJJ 06-14-2012 10:33 AM

Would be concerned about (i) the space between the "B" and "a", (ii) the missing upper? section of the "R", which would be a most difficult part of a Ruth signature to copy - was this a failed attempt or no, (iii) the angle of the cross of the "t", (iv) the angle and hesitation of the "a", (v) why is the sweetspot signature not faded when others appear to be - were they not showcasing Babe Ruth! but instead other players? I am not making a definitive statement here; I am not a formal authenticator, but I personally would not buy it myself.

GaryPassamonte 06-14-2012 12:57 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Thanks, Big JJ.
There are 3 balls in the group I've been shown: the Ruth ball, a 1943 Yankees ball, and a 1949 Phillies ball. Each ball shows uniform wear.
The Ruth ball also has Clark Griffith, Bo Bo Newsom, and Addis? Griffith on it. I have attached more pictures of the Ruth ball. All 3 balls originated from a family in Buffalo NY and I've only seen pictures of the balls.

Leon 06-14-2012 12:58 PM

I have 0 experience authenticating signatures but just from the Ruth signatures I have seen while in the hobby that one scares me. Yuck, imo....but again this is a SWAG and maybe others will correct me?

GaryPassamonte 06-14-2012 01:05 PM

I'm with you on autographs, Leon. I usually stay away, but this group is in my backyard, almost. What is SWAG?

Leon 06-14-2012 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryPassamonte (Post 1003622)
I'm with you on autographs, Leon. I usually stay away, but this group is in my backyard, almost. What is SWAG?

Scientific Wild Ass Guess :)

jgmp123 06-14-2012 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1003628)
Scientific Wild Ass Guess :)

As opposed to: Swag: how you carry yourself, the way one talks, the style in which one dresses, the gestures in which one uses while talking, etc.

Courtesy of the "urban dictionary" :D:D:D

BigJJ 06-14-2012 02:34 PM

I don't have much experience with Griffith.
Will say that the value is in the Ruth, or lack thereof. Clark Griffith lived to 85, 1955. Multi-signed Griffith balls are worth 500-1500?
If we take the Griffith signature, et al as authentic, and the ball is dated to right before Ruth's death, this multi-signed ball would be a good one to add a Ruth signature to, would increase its value from 1k to 7k?
Ruth was still signing, and signing strong in March 1948, but was in poor health and not as active.
In any event I dont know reagarding authenticity, but even if the Griffiths were good, and Bobo too, I would not buy, even from my family. :D

BigJJ 06-14-2012 02:41 PM

Also that shellack strikes me as odd

toyman55 06-14-2012 03:29 PM

I would be leary, though it looks good when compared to others the R in Ruth is missing the loop at the top that is so characteristic of his autograph.

BigJJ 06-14-2012 03:32 PM

And if the Ruth signature was from before the Griffiths and Bobo, why wait only until after the Griffiths and Bobo signed to shellack?

And then, why shellack at all, if accumulating any and all baseball autographs on the ball.

If it's the reverse, and Ruth signed after, how did Griffiths and Bobo (I love to write this) know to reserve sweetspot, and then when did Ruth sign? between March and August of 1948?

If they all signed at the same time, where and when was this meeting?

Best
J

Edited to add that even if it is good and Ruth was just jumpy that day, and Im not a fan of the ball, but no one knows for certain - but I think you may be hard pressed to get a positive opinion from authenticators given the ball's characteristics, and then what is its market? (this question was not intended to start a new thread :) )

travrosty 06-15-2012 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgmp123 (Post 1003635)
As opposed to: Swag: how you carry yourself, the way one talks, the style in which one dresses, the gestures in which one uses while talking, etc.

Courtesy of the "urban dictionary" :D:D:D

as opposed to SWAG, the gift bags with free stuf inside handed out to celebrities and peoples attending the oscars, etc.

Stuff We All Get.

Donald Trump notorious for taking anything and everything that is free at these events, a 3 dollar t-shirt, he's making sure he gets one.

He says he never turns down free stuff. he's a billionaire, needs that t-shirt.

Cardboard Junkie 06-15-2012 01:58 PM

Yogi Said..

Berra said "Anything free is worth saving up for"......and...."A Nickel aint worth a dime anymore!"
As far as ballls.....they always scared me, except my own (which are oversized).

Wymers Auction 06-15-2012 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cardboard Junkie (Post 1003933)
Berra said "Anything free is worth saving up for"......and...."A Nickel aint worth a dime anymore!"
As far as ballls.....they always scared me, except my own (which are oversized).

Qualifies as TMI

Wymers Auction 06-15-2012 02:05 PM

Comparing this to good Ruth signatures I would run from that ball. I do not know about the others. I am not an autograph expert, but that Ruth really is not close.