Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Ebay question about returns (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=237077)

whiteymet 03-18-2017 04:51 PM

Ebay question about returns

Hi Gang:

I recently returned an item won on ebay. I received a credit, but was not sure it was for the correct amount. I checked to see what I paid for it via paypal.

I looked for the listing and it had a higher amount than paypal said I paid for it. It was listed as free shipping. Once credit was given it was taken off my purchase history as if it never existed.

Does ebay list things with free shipping at a higher price after the fact because it charges the seller based on the postage amount? That is the only reason I can think of for this to happen.

Anyone have insights into this situation?

Thanks,

Fred

thecatspajamas 03-18-2017 09:34 PM

Did you get it on a Best Offer? EBay typically will not list the lower Best Offer price when you go back to the Completed Listing on eBay, instead listing whatever was the original full asking price. Their reason for doing so has nothing to do with the fees they charge, as those will be based on the actual sale price and actual shipping charged, not whatever they display in the Completed Listings.The seller may also have added shipping options manually to the invoice that were not displayed in the original listing.

The main thing would be to look in PayPal and compare what amount you sent to what you got back. You will never get back more than what you sent, regardless of what amount eBay displays as the sale price.

whiteymet 03-19-2017 08:00 PM

Lance:

Thanks for the reply. No, it was not a best offer, just a regular BIN.

It appears I paid $8 via paypal and received the same amount in credit. There was free shipping.

However when I looked at the listing it said it was $11.23. Thus my confusion. Which led me to ask if ebay adds the "value" of shipping afterward for some reason?

Fred

jfkheat 03-20-2017 06:06 AM

Was the card from a Canadian seller. The $11.23 may be Canadian dollars.
James

whiteymet 03-20-2017 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfkheat (Post 1642949)
Was the card from a Canadian seller. The $11.23 may be Canadian dollars.
James

Hi James

Good thought. But the seller was in Maryland!! Still scratching my head.

Fred

JustinD 03-20-2017 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whiteymet (Post 1643103)
Hi James

Good thought. But the seller was in Maryland!! Still scratching my head.

Fred

No offense, but if you got back what you paid why are you letting this concern you?

Leon 03-26-2017 02:36 PM

I can't imagine ebay raising the price of your item. I have never had that happen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by whiteymet (Post 1642462)
Hi Gang:

I recently returned an item won on ebay. I received a credit, but was not sure it was for the correct amount. I checked to see what I paid for it via paypal.

I looked for the listing and it had a higher amount than paypal said I paid for it. It was listed as free shipping. Once credit was given it was taken off my purchase history as if it never existed.

Does ebay list things with free shipping at a higher price after the fact because it charges the seller based on the postage amount? That is the only reason I can think of for this to happen.

Anyone have insights into this situation?

Thanks,

Fred

thecatspajamas 03-27-2017 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whiteymet (Post 1642891)
Lance:

Thanks for the reply. No, it was not a best offer, just a regular BIN.

It appears I paid $8 via paypal and received the same amount in credit. There was free shipping.

However when I looked at the listing it said it was $11.23. Thus my confusion. Which led me to ask if ebay adds the "value" of shipping afterward for some reason?

Fred

Only other thing I can think of is if the item was "on sale" (ie marked down using the Markdown Manager feature) when you bought it, then the price reverted to the full base price once the promotion period was over. This used to happen to me on a regular basis, as a seller, when I would use that feature to run sales. I'd go back to the listing later to check something, and be confused when the actual sale price didn't match what was shown. I had to be careful when refunding that I didn't refund too much (As in one item refunded from a multi-item order. The system wouldn't allow a refund of more than the original amount received.)

whiteymet 03-27-2017 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecatspajamas (Post 1645216)
Only other thing I can think of is if the item was "on sale" (ie marked down using the Markdown Manager feature) when you bought it, then the price reverted to the full base price once the promotion period was over. This used to happen to me on a regular basis, as a seller, when I would use that feature to run sales. I'd go back to the listing later to check something, and be confused when the actual sale price didn't match what was shown. I had to be careful when refunding that I didn't refund too much (As in one item refunded from a multi-item order. The system wouldn't allow a refund of more than the original amount received.)

Hi Lance:

You hit the nail on the head!! I just went back and looked at the original listing and I had forgotten that I did indeed buy the card as a markdown.

$11.43 was the "original" price but I purchased the card for $8. Thus my confusion when I went back to see what I had paid and saw the $11.43.

Ebay did revert back to the "original " price on the listing after it sold.

Thanks for clearing up this mystery for me. Now I can sleep again!! :>)

Fred