Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   OT: Read any good books lately? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=179536)

almostdone 11-29-2013 08:27 PM

OT: Read any good books lately?

Well its that time of year again when my extended family wonder what to get me for Christmas. For the last few years I have asked on Net54 for any book suggestions. I always get some insight and pass the list along and inevitably end up with a good supply of baseball reading for the next year.

Instead of listing what I already have I will just leave it open for any and all suggestions as this might help benefit other reader on the boards as well. I'll add in a good list in a future post of what I have read and liked once we get this thread rolling.

Interests would be anything on vintage card collecting, baseball history but I usually stay away from biographies unless there is one you just have to tell about, also love the growth and expansion era of baseball (1940's through the 1970's) so anything relating to that, Brooklyn Dodgers and so on.

Let me know your thought and please feel free to share as much info to try and spread the love of a good book.

Drew

SAllen2556 11-29-2013 09:42 PM

Operation Bullpen, by Kevin Nelson
http://www.operationbullpen.com/

A few years old now, but a fascinating book. If you read it, you'll never, ever buy a Mickey Mantle autographed anything!

mattsey9 11-29-2013 10:34 PM

For baseball history, you couldn't go wrong with the following:

Lords of the Realm - John Helyar
Raceball - Rob Ruck
Playing America's Game - Adrian Burgos

Quote:

Originally Posted by almostdone (Post 1211866)
Well its that time of year again when my extended family wonder what to get me for Christmas. For the last few years I have asked on Net54 for any book suggestions. I always get some insight and pass the list along and inevitably end up with a good supply of baseball reading for the next year.

Instead of listing what I already have I will just leave it open for any and all suggestions as this might help benefit other reader on the boards as well. I'll add in a good list in a future post of what I have read and liked once we get this thread rolling.

Interests would be anything on vintage card collecting, baseball history but I usually stay away from biographies unless there is one you just have to tell about, also love the growth and expansion era of baseball (1940's through the 1970's) so anything relating to that, Brooklyn Dodgers and so on.

Let me know your thought and please feel free to share as much info to try and spread the love of a good book.

Drew

Matthew80 11-29-2013 11:10 PM

One of my favorites, "The Last Best League." Great book about young, amateur players trying to get into the big leagues. http://www.amazon.com/The-Last-Best-League-Summer/dp/0306814188

If you have yet to read a Ruth biography, I'd strongly recommend one. This one, http://www.amazon.com/Babe-Legend-Co...ruth+biography, doesn't deviate much into anything but his life- no Black Sox, Gehrig, or much else- but no such deviation is really needed; Ruth's entertaining enough.

Matthew80 11-29-2013 11:16 PM

Just bought "Operation Bullpen" on Amazon for Kindle. It should help curb my appetite for going after HOF autographs.

+1 for not spending serious money on any type of sports memorabilia.

stlcardsfan 11-30-2013 06:41 AM

Book

I am reading Babe: The Legend Comes to Life by Robert Creamer. About 80%done. An interesting account of his life, the good with the bad. From what I understand this is the most accurate account of his life in print. He was an incredible human being. I would recommend if you would like to learn more about his life.

vintagebaseballcardguy 11-30-2013 09:17 AM

Creamer was an amazing writer! I have also read his book on the '41 season. It may be the best book I have ever read. Not only does he detail the '41 season and all its excitement but he also chronicles what is happening simultaneously in the second World War as it approaches and how it effects the U.S. and the players in MLB. Awesome pennant race that year!

Exhibitman 11-30-2013 04:15 PM

Mint Condition: some good down and dirty stuff about cards.

Undisputed Truth: Mike Tyson no holds barred autobiography

Vertical: the sequel to Sideways

A Fighter's Heart: Sam Sheridan's exploration behind the scenes of various pro fighting leagues.

dclarkraiders 12-08-2013 04:12 PM

I am new to the board and this is my first post. I enjoy reading the various posts on this board. I am a Baltimore Orioles and Brooklyn Dodgers fan

My recommendations would be:

1) Gil Hodges The Brooklyn Bums, the Miracle Mets, and the Extraordinary Life of a Baseball Legend.

Great book about a great player but more importantly a great human being.

He should be in the Hall(in my humble opinion) and hopefully he gets there soon.

2) Wait 'til Next Year by Doris Kearns Goodwin.

Duane Clark

Harliduck 12-09-2013 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy (Post 1211967)
Creamer was an amazing writer! I have also read his book on the '41 season. It may be the best book I have ever read. Not only does he detail the '41 season and all its excitement but he also chronicles what is happening simultaneously in the second World War as it approaches and how it effects the U.S. and the players in MLB. Awesome pennant race that year!

Another plug for "Summer of 41"...read it about a month ago, a great read. Neutralized some of who I thought were hero's, and brought light to some there WERE hero's. Great read, and yes, the fact it simultaneously gave a working history about WW2 was fascinating and how it effected MLB.

I love reading biography's...in the last year I have read Lou Gehrigs, Jackie Robinson, two on the Mick, Bobby Richardson's, and a really fun book written by Rico Petrocelli on the Red Sox of 1967. Great book...

nebboy 12-09-2013 10:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Best baseball card book of all times

bammerbb 07-07-2022 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stlcardsfan (Post 1211920)
I am reading Babe: The Legend Comes to Life by Robert Creamer. About 80%done. An interesting account of his life, the good with the bad. From what I understand this is the most accurate account of his life in print. He was an incredible human being. I would recommend if you would like to learn more about his life.

I agree with you, I think Mr. Creamer's book is the best one about the Babe. In the picture section, did you happen to see Babe standing with his father in the bar? I can't believe how much they look like twins rather than father and son.

Brian B. (southeast Iowa's larges Yankee fan)

clydepepper 07-07-2022 03:12 PM

I just finished 'Chasing Moonlight' - it was pretty good - he was an interesting man.

I'm also currently reading 'The Pride of the Yankees' about the making of that movie and 'Roger Maris: Baseball's Reluctant Hero'.

scotgreb 07-07-2022 04:45 PM

Currently listening to The Baseball 100 on Audible. Pretty interesting personal information mixed with the numbers. It's also something like 30 hours so good bang for the buck. Scott

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

71buc 07-07-2022 10:38 PM

I know you said no biographies but I still have to recommend Cobra. It’s a great unvarnished read.

clydepepper 07-08-2022 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clydepepper (Post 2240389)
I just finished 'Chasing Moonlight' - it was pretty good - he was an interesting man.

I'm also currently reading 'The Pride of the Yankees' about the making of that movie and 'Roger Maris: Baseball's Reluctant Hero'.

I'm also reading 'Loserville' and 'Team of Rivals' simultaneously with the others...read a chapter in one, then move to the next one. (keeps me from getting bogged down with one)

'Loserville' describes the build up of Atlanta and how luring major league sports teams effected that progression.

'Team of Rivals' is subititled 'The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln' - it is fascinating...amazing parallels to many political issues of today.

Rad_Hazard 07-12-2022 02:28 PM

I'm currently listening (audiobook addict) to 59 in '84 and the Summer of Beer and Whiskey by Edward Achorn.

They are narrated very well and go over Old Hoss Radbourn in 1884 and the St. Louis Browns in 1883 respectively.