Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Need opinions on six HOF autos (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=272642)

tha-rock 08-21-2019 07:24 PM

Need opinions on six HOF autos

1 Attachment(s)
Hey guys..

I'm working through my collection trying to determine if several of my tougher HOFer autographs are real.
Here are six I have pulled as needing further evaluation. I would appreciate any and all educated opinions. Thanks in advance.

Hugh Jennings- pencil signature on plain white paper
Lou Gehrig- cut ink on narrow lined notebook paper. Pen skipped on opening loop
Mordecai Brown- ink on card stock. Back has black paper residue from being removed from a scrapbook
Arky Vaughan- faded ink signature looks like it was cut from autograph album
Johnny Evers- ink signature on plain paper
Hugh Duffy- ink signature looks like it was cut from program

MooseDog 08-22-2019 10:27 AM

The Jennings looks like a couple of pieces I purchased from a California dealer way back in the 1970s when I was just a pup. Same old paper, pencil style, same light hand and about the same relative size on the letters. I am 99.8% sure mine are Ron Dross forgeries. The dealer likely didn't know they were forgeries at the time so I don't hold any ill will towards him but Dross spread a lot of garbage back then.

Aquarian Sports Cards 08-22-2019 10:45 AM

I don't know autographs, but I do the research I need to. My concern with the Evers is it looks like ballpoint. With him dying in 1947 there's very little chance he ever signed by ballpoint pen as they didn't come into use in the US until after WWII. Duffy died in 1954 so that's a more likely legit ballpoint signature. Now, maybe these aren't ballpoint sigs, but they look like it from the provided images.

theshleps 08-22-2019 10:45 AM

other than Vaughn and Duffy who I can't eliminate by a quick glance I do not like the rest

tha-rock 08-22-2019 10:51 AM

Thanks, guys. These did come from several sources and were probably purchased in the late 70's and early 80's when prices on this kind of stuff were not in the stratosphere, and you purchased based on seller reputation and knowledge. I think the reputable sellers had to be considered the "experts" because they had been around the hobby a lot longer than most of us in those days and had more advanced collections. I wish I had kept records on what I got from whom, but I didn't. I don't believe they were deliberately passing off forgeries- I think they believed they were good when they sold them.

I should have been more specific in my descriptions. All the signatures are in fountain pen except Jennings which is in pencil. The formation of the Js concern me in the Evers signature.

Smanzari 08-22-2019 12:35 PM

IMO Arky may be good. Mordecai is a horrible forgery (his "M's" are really cool, so that was quick to stand out). Gehrig looks almost too perfect for a fountain pen

Bpm0014 08-22-2019 02:07 PM

I’ve never seen a “half” L like that before in Lou

tha-rock 08-22-2019 06:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The ink skipped on opening loop on 'Lou' in the Gehrig. Looking closely I can see the indentation of the pen on paper before the ink started flowing. I'll try to post a better picture.

David Atkatz 08-22-2019 10:25 PM

The Gehrig is good.

RichardSimon 08-25-2019 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MooseDog (Post 1910545)
The Jennings looks like a couple of pieces I purchased from a California dealer way back in the 1970s when I was just a pup. Same old paper, pencil style, same light hand and about the same relative size on the letters. I am 99.8% sure mine are Ron Dross forgeries. The dealer likely didn't know they were forgeries at the time so I don't hold any ill will towards him but Dross spread a lot of garbage back then.

I try to say good things about the dead. Ron Dross is dead. Good.