Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Vintage Pennants (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=131047)

sicollector1954 12-21-2010 10:48 AM

Vintage Pennants

This may be a "way out" question but hopefully someone can answer it because it is really something I know nothing about. I know that game used bats can sometimes be restored with cracked handles and deadwood, etc by some fantastic people. Is there any such process used for vintage pennants which a lot of times have the ends missing or the tassels gone as well. Thanks for any insight or maybe this is just something which is not possible.

oriolesbb6 12-21-2010 11:04 AM

Yes

There are thousands of low end pennants made from the same felt as sports related, if you have a good tailor they can mix and match accordingly. I do this occasionally for my own collection, as far as resale I sell as is. I buy up pennant lots all the time and use some for my own repairs. Its weird though as I would not buy a vintage pennant that has been repaired,,,,,

perezfan 12-21-2010 11:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I am sure that quality restoration like this is possible... But I have seen very few examples of good (professional) work that has been done. Most alterations are easily identifiable and are amateurish. Lots of times, people with try to fill holes by applying similar colored felt from the reverse side. Other times, you'll see splits in the felt that have been glued back together (the felt will be hard and no longer soft in these spots).

The most common alteration is on pennants where the tip was missing. People will often re-cut the borders to make the pennant come to a point. I have seen many discreet examples of this, but most are easy to spot. The edge of the felt will have a "sharper" cut than the unaltered remainder of the pennant.

One altreration that's tougher to spot is the replacement of the vertical binding strip on the left side. Lots of times, these strips are moth-eaten or have missing/cut-off tassels. It's possible to carefully remove this strip and its tassels from a different pennant, and re-apply it to the pennant in need of repair. This is actually a good solution in many cases... especially if the replacement portion is of the same vintage and proper colors. The only way to detect this type of restoration is to look for the second set of stitch holes on the pennant. If carefully done, this type of repair can be almost invisible.

Below is a great candidate for this procedure (from recent Lelands Auction). I was very tempted to bid, as I've wanted this version for some time. But the restoration would be time consuming and the would always bug me. IMO, it's far better to wait for one in its original state. It all depends on your preferences (and level of patience!)

Hope this helps...

sicollector1954 12-21-2010 11:58 AM

Vintage Pennant

Thanks for the info. If either would like to email me--I would be happy to share the info I have on the pennant and then you maybe could tell me if it is something that should have some work done on it or left alone based on the value in its current condition. sicollector1954@comcast.net