Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Tickets (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=234315)

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 01-23-2017 11:51 AM

Tickets

Is it me or are the prices for vintage stubs constantly climbing? I have been adding to my collection non stop for a year and have noticed the prices of stubs and programs to "nothing games" almost rise by 50% over the past few months.

Shoeless Moe 01-23-2017 12:54 PM

No, I've noticed it too, it always make me go back and re-check the game stats, thinking I maybe missed something, but yep always seems to be a nothing overly special game.

Scott Garner 01-23-2017 01:44 PM

There seem to be more people collecting vintage baseball tickets.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 01-23-2017 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Garner (Post 1623431)
There seem to be more people collecting vintage baseball tickets.

These 55 tickets are going for 150 and so are the programs. So crazy. Even 53 tickets are going nuts.

Someone bought a 56 reds stub vs dodgers @ cincy for 20 bucks with 2 punch holes and no Jackie. It's nuts. I might have to sit out a while and wait for the frenzy to chill out.

71buc 01-23-2017 02:38 PM

It depends on the collector as well as the game. 1971 pirate tickets are a good example. I am aware of three other collectors chasing them. If a ticket is listed that all four of us need we artificially inflate the price. Sellers see this and occasionally list a meaningless stub at $100. If a stub is listed we all have it sits there for months at less than $10. So I don't necessarily think inflated prices reflect long term value.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 01-23-2017 03:11 PM

I guess so. That's just annoying.

Dave Grob 01-23-2017 03:16 PM

Tickets and Scorecards

I have not followed this segment of the hobby/industry as closely as I have followed others, but there may be a number of factors in play here.

1. Maturing collectors who have completed card sets and looking for something new to collect.

2. Maturing collectors dealing with rising prices/declining availability of game used or stadia items, thus tickets and scorecards represent an affordable vintage collectable by comparison.

3. Maturing team collectors looking to augment collections with scorecards and programs.

4. Maturing collections that now have to deal with space as premium, and tickets and scorecards are not storage space intensive.

5. Newer collectors looking to get into vintage items that are seeking for an affordable vintage collectable that is scalable/check list approach (a season, a player, events).

In some cases and with some collectors, it could be various combinations of the above factors. Just some thoughts for what it’s worth..

Dave Grob

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 01-23-2017 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Grob (Post 1623462)
I have not followed this segment of the hobby/industry as closely as I have followed others, but there may be a number of factors in play here.

1. Maturing collectors who have completed card sets and looking for something new to collect.

2. Maturing collectors dealing with rising prices/declining availability of game used or stadia items, thus tickets and scorecards represent an affordable vintage collectable by comparison.

3. Maturing team collectors looking to augment collections with scorecards and programs.

4. Maturing collections that now have to deal with space as premium, and tickets and scorecards are not storage space intensive.

5. Newer collectors looking to get into vintage items that are seeking for an affordable vintage collectable that is scalable/check list approach (a season, a player, events).

In some cases and with some collectors, it could be various combinations of the above factors. Just some thoughts for what it’s worth..

Dave Grob

I have not thought about a lot of those reasons but they all make sense. Good to see people getting more involved in this portion.

71buc 01-23-2017 03:31 PM

My wife has called me many things "maturing" certainly isn't one of them. By the way I recently purchased your book and have greatly enjoyed it. Thanks!

Scott Garner 01-23-2017 06:08 PM

Quote:

Dave Grob

Hi Dave,
+1 Very good. I would agree with all of your observations. The bottom line is that the ticket collector community is absolutely growing.
Personally, I am finding #3 and #4 on your list to both be very prevalent.

Scott Garner 01-23-2017 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71buc (Post 1623474)
My wife has called me many things "maturing" certainly isn't one of them. By the way I recently purchased your book and have greatly enjoyed it. Thanks!

:D Hey Mike, I hear you. I also recently purchased Dave's book & I would highly recommend it to everyone. :cool:

lrspaulp 01-23-2017 07:30 PM

I just recently bought a collection and the gentlemen went to a lot of World Series and All-star games in the 1970's and 1980's and I was bit by the ticket stub bug. I have been collecting for a few months now and noticed prices. If anyone has any advice or tips I would appreciate it. Thank you.

mrmopar 01-23-2017 07:49 PM

With the help of baseball-reference.com, I finally went and documented significant dates in Steve Garvey's career in hopes of snagging some key tickets. I already had the debut and some others, like the consecutive game streak. I have yet to stumble upon something less known, such as his first triple (for example). It probably helps that these tickets are mostly 70s/80s, but I would guess finding the better ones will provide difficult and/or expensive.

One stub I did find and wanted was in a larger lot that I thought I might win with a higher snipe and I still lost. I was surprised at the final price frankly. I asked the seller to pass along to the buyer my contact info, but they refused. If anyone bought a 20-30 1970s stub lot of Dodgers in the last month or so and may be willing to move one (assuming you didn't need it as well), please let me know. I can let you know the seller to see if you might have been the buyer, but it is a larger ebay seller who lists many, many, many lots of what looks like warehouse or overstock type collectible stuff.

Scott Garner 01-24-2017 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmopar (Post 1623596)
With the help of baseball-reference.com, I finally went and documented significant dates in Steve Garvey's career in hopes of snagging some key tickets. I already had the debut and some others, like the consecutive game streak. I have yet to stumble upon something less known, such as his first triple (for example). It probably helps that these tickets are mostly 70s/80s, but I would guess finding the better ones will provide difficult and/or expensive.

One stub I did find and wanted was in a larger lot that I thought I might win with a higher snipe and I still lost. I was surprised at the final price frankly. I asked the seller to pass along to the buyer my contact info, but they refused. If anyone bought a 20-30 1970s stub lot of Dodgers in the last month or so and may be willing to move one (assuming you didn't need it as well), please let me know. I can let you know the seller to see if you might have been the buyer, but it is a larger ebay seller who lists many, many, many lots of what looks like warehouse or overstock type collectible stuff.

Hi Curt,
My best advice to you is to make up a want list and circulate it amongst the ticket collecting community. This want list should preferably be organized by what town/team the ticket date occurred at. For example, San Diego Padres, and list all of the dates you are looking for. Baseball ticket collectors tend to have more tickets of the local team, although they may also have stashes of other misc. tickets. Casting a wide net and networking is the very best way to find the dates that you are looking for, because it literally is akin to finding a needle in a haystack.

Steve Garvey is not a super popular player amongst the collecting community (although he was one of my personal favorites). The fact that he played in the 1970's and 1980's is definitely an advantage as you surmised. Finding tickets to some of his random milestone should not prove to be particularly expensive.

If you have such a list, please feel free to send it to me at: scott.garner@att.net and I can begin to get your wants circulated and hopefully help you find some of the dates you are looking for. Have an idea in your mind of what you are willing to pay for a ticket and let collectors know this.

I have been a collector of regular game day baseball ticket for over 44 years and have a large network of baseball ticket collector friends. One last thought is that it's important to lookout for other peoples wants and reciprocate. Nothing makes me happier than to help another collector find something that they have been looking for. It's even cooler to have someone help you find something on your want list. ;)

Scott Garner 01-24-2017 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lrspaulp (Post 1623587)
I just recently bought a collection and the gentlemen went to a lot of World Series and All-star games in the 1970's and 1980's and I was bit by the ticket stub bug. I have been collecting for a few months now and noticed prices. If anyone has any advice or tips I would appreciate it. Thank you.

Hi Paul,
Welcome to net54!
I listed several of my ticket collecting "tips" above, but feel free to contact me if you have specific questions. I have primarily been a collector of regular game day baseball, not World Series or All Star games, but I still have some knowledge about these topics as well.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 01-24-2017 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Garner (Post 1623656)
Hi Paul,
Welcome to net54!
I listed several of my ticket collecting "tips" below, but feel free to contact me if you have specific questions. I have primarily been a collector of regular game day baseball, not World Series or All Star games, but I still have some knowledge about these topics as well.

Cool Stub.

I had this Dodger Stub from June 14 1948 which made no sense. It was a Brooklyn home stub. I did a bunch of research and there was no game scheduled on the original home schedule so it just didn't make sense.

I found a article after hours of looking from the Palm Beach post.

Page 9.

This was actually a Exhibition game held at Brooklyn vs the Indians to raise money for little league. Jackie Robinson homered in it and only 12,ooo attended it. To me this is pretty damn cool.

rschisler 01-24-2017 12:34 PM

Quote:

Dave Grob

+1 Great points, Dave. I would also add that perhaps the nature of the autograph industry today is playing a role. I would imagine the number of forgeries, combined with negative press regarding many of the top TPAs, would be enough to steer folks away from autographs and into the ticket/program arena.

vintagesportscollector 01-24-2017 12:57 PM

Great point. I agree all of Dave's points are spot on and I relate to most of them, but the fact that you (for the most part) don't have to worry about fraud and forgeries with items like tickets, helps a lot. Where there has been forgeries, I've found them to be fairly easy to spot. You can enjoy tickets with less concern and without the need to have them slabbed or authenticated.

Dave Grob 01-24-2017 03:05 PM

Tickets and Scorecards

With respect to tickets, I may be a bit of a contrarian in that I would prefer a stub to a full unused ticket. I have very few tickets, less than a couple of dozen in my collection, but part of the allure for me is the connection to the event. Yes I know the full ones look great slabbed (so some might say) and command more money, but to me an unused ticket is an object without any relevance…

For me, ticket stubs and scorecards provide contextual enhancement to other items in my collection. Probably the best example I can think of is I have a 1940 World Series Game 7 ticket stub, Pouge’s Department Store scorecard (sold outside the gate) and an original team mailing envelope for World Series tickets in a small display with Paul Derringer’s 1940 World Series cap. Does including these other items with the cap change or enhance the value in any appreciable manner? Maybe not, but as group they enhance the visual appeal of the main artifact (Derringer cap) and stimulate thought about the time and place.

Dave Grob

Bumpus Jones 01-24-2017 04:52 PM

Very well said and very true Dave.

vintagesportscollector 01-24-2017 05:59 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bumpus Jones (Post 1623862)
Very well said and very true Dave.

I couldn't agree more. Dave's comment on.."stimulate thought about the time and place", especially resonates with me.

That is why I collect, because I love history and sport. Not to make a fortune, not with the faint hope that I will uncover some major treasure, not to keep score or have the most 'toys'...but to make small connections to history.

I recently bought a large lot of Cornell ephemera pulled from an early scrapbook for $10, about 50 pieces. All scrap and of little value, but I like digging through lots like this. Out of the lot I pulled this "Admit One Armory, Nov. 29, 1906" ticket. It had little meaning until I discovered what it was for. It was issued to listen to the wire reports of the 1906 Cornell/Penn football game. You can see it in the picture below, along with some of the other scraps.

The ticket is of a little value, but to tie it to what was going on that day, I find deeply rewarding. Reading this article about the wire reports from the Armory...they sold 2,000 tickets..cheerleaders directed the singing....chairs only for woman and faculty...and experienced wire operators. Consider the unimaginable technology available to us today to watch football wherever and however we want.

Attachment 258896

Attachment 258898

Scott Garner 01-24-2017 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagesportscollector (Post 1623891)
I couldn't agree more. Dave's comment on.."stimulate thought about the time and place", especially resonates with me.

That is why I collect, because I love history and sport. Not to make a fortune, not with the faint hope that I will uncover some major treasure, not to keep score or have the most 'toys'...but to make small connections to history.

I recently bought a large lot of Cornell ephemera pulled from an early scrapbook for $10, about 50 pieces. All scrap and of little value, but I like digging through lots like this. Out of the lot I pulled this "Admit One Armory, Nov. 29, 1906" ticket. It had little meaning until I discovered what it was for. It was issued to listen to the wire reports of the 1906 Cornell/Penn football game. You can see it in the picture below, along with some of the other scraps.

The ticket is of a little value, but to tie it to what was going on that day, I find deeply rewarding. Reading this article about the wire reports from the Armory...they sold 2,000 tickets..cheerleaders directed the singing....chairs only for woman and faculty...and experienced wire operators. Consider the unimaginable technology available to us today to watch football wherever and however we want.

Attachment 258896

Attachment 258898

Joe, that's an exceptional pickup for $10. C'mon! :rolleyes:

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 01-24-2017 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagesportscollector (Post 1623891)

Attachment 258896

Attachment 258898

Great post and well said. We are all one big team in the grand scheme of the hobby. Without us there would be no
It.

megalimey 01-25-2017 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EYECOLLECTVINTAGE (Post 1623390)
Is it me or are the prices for vintage stubs constantly climbing? I have been adding to my collection non stop for a year and have noticed the prices of stubs and programs to "nothing games" almost rise by 50% over the past few months.

one thing vintage tickets do that very few of the other sports memorabilia
can not provide , is have the new owner live vicariously through the original ticket owner , possibly imagining having that ticket in his pocket sitting in the stadium watching the game, maybe witnessing a milestone event , Big HR , No Hitter ,MLB Debut First win Last win or last Game played by a hall of Fame or their favorite player
obviously collecting old baseball items will never die especially vintage quality cards.
But tickets add that extra dimension plus there are significantly less available
so the very limited supply verses the growing demand for the older tickets is enhancing the value, plus condition is not as important as the "actual date of the ticket"so no need to worry to much on condition as it pertains to value if a key date , which helps the novice collector make that purchase

vintagesportscollector 01-27-2017 07:49 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Thought some folks might get a kick out of seeing images of what it looked like to listen/watch the returns from the away football games. These images are later, c. 1935, but you can get an idea. These were taken from the "New" Armory, constructed in 1915 (later called Barton Hall for die hard Grateful Dead Fans).

Attachment 259206

Attachment 259207

Attachment 259208

Attachment 259209

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 01-27-2017 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagesportscollector (Post 1624724)
Thought some folks might get a kick out of seeing images of what it looked like to listen/watch the returns from the away football games. These images are later, c. 1935, but you can get an idea. These were taken from the "New" Armory, constructed in 1915 (later called Barton Hall for die hard Grateful Dead Fans).

Attachment 259206

Attachment 259207

Attachment 259208

Attachment 259209

holy smokes!!!!

megalimey 01-29-2017 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Grob (Post 1623829)
With respect to tickets, I may be a bit of a contrarian in that I would prefer a stub to a full unused ticket. I have very few tickets, less than a couple of dozen in my collection, but part of the allure for me is the connection to the event. Yes I know the full ones look great slabbed (so some might say) and command more money, but to me an unused ticket is an object without any relevance…

For me, ticket stubs and scorecards provide contextual enhancement to other items in my collection. Probably the best example I can think of is I have a 1940 World Series Game 7 ticket stub, Pouge’s Department Store scorecard (sold outside the gate) and an original team mailing envelope for World Series tickets in a small display with Paul Derringer’s 1940 World Series cap. Does including these other items with the cap change or enhance the value in any appreciable manner? Maybe not, but as group they enhance the visual appeal of the main artifact (Derringer cap) and stimulate thought about the time and place.

Dave Grob

actually if you notice some of the full stubs have holes punched this was done at the turn stiles as a special accommodation of a fans request who wanted the whole ticket as a memento , also complimentary tickets were also so punched and could not be exchanged if there was a rain out
so these tickets in fact would have been presented at day of game and ticket owner would have been present at the game with full ticket in tow

Fuddjcal 01-30-2017 09:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 259559

is this thing worth anything?

shernan30 01-30-2017 10:30 AM

Any good place to find tickets and programs from the tennis grand slams? I'm working on a Roger Federer project for my wife and need to track down some of those items.

Thanks,

megalimey 01-30-2017 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuddjcal (Post 1625631)
Attachment 259559

is this thing worth anything?

one recently sold on ebay for &75 but that included two tickets program and news clipping that one seemed to be in better condition but its hard to tell
I would be a buyer at $50 plus $5 for shipping
pm me if interested in doing a deal
thanks
David

Huysmans 01-30-2017 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by megalimey (Post 1625301)
actually if you notice some of the full stubs have holes punched this was done at the turn stiles as a special accommodation of a fans request who wanted the whole ticket as a memento , also complimentary tickets were also so punched and could not be exchanged if there was a rain out
so these tickets in fact would have been presented at day of game and ticket owner would have been present at the game with full ticket in tow

I could be wrong, but there's certain years of the World Series where no tickets were perforated or "ripped" upon admission, with all tickets hole punched instead. I believe the 1911 Series is an example. What I don't understand, is people calling these "full" tickets. Despite remaining complete, with no section torn away, the hole punch should still classify the ticket as a "stub". Or am I missing something?

megalimey 01-30-2017 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huysmans (Post 1625749)
I could be wrong, but there's certain years of the World Series where no tickets were perforated or "ripped" upon admission, with all tickets hole punched instead. I believe the 1911 Series is an example. What I don't understand, is people calling these "full" tickets. Despite remaining complete, with no section torn away, the hole punch should still classify the ticket as a "stub". Or am I missing something?

as long as the ticket is fully intact with both sections raincheck untorn it is regarded as a full ticket and not a stub
it is not unusual to see some full tickets whole punched which was done to
accommodate a fans wishes or given as a complimentary no cash value , the holes prevented reentry or resale in the event of a rain out , so very few people did this

icollectDCsports 01-30-2017 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by megalimey (Post 1625751)
as long as the ticket is fully intact with both sections raincheck untorn it is regarded as a full ticket and not a stub
it is not unusual to see some full tickets whole punched which was done to
accommodate a fans wishes or given as a complimentary no cash value , the holes prevented reentry or resale in the event of a rain out , so very few people did this

I'd classify a ticket that's punched and has no section torn off as "full" and therefore not a stub but I'd additionally classify it as "used." So a full or complete, unused ticket would be different than a full or complete ticket that we know was used because it was hole punched.

megalimey 01-30-2017 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icollectDCsports (Post 1625838)
I'd classify a ticket that's punched and has no section torn off as "full" and therefore not a stub but I'd additionally classify it as "used." So a full or complete, unused ticket would be different than a full or complete ticket that we know was used because it was hole punched.

your correct it would be classed as a used full ticket verses one that was found at some ones house who never went to the game IE: "no show" BUT INCLUDED in the paid attendance

Fuddjcal 01-30-2017 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by megalimey (Post 1625649)
one recently sold on ebay for &75 but that included two tickets program and news clipping that one seemed to be in better condition but its hard to tell
I would be a buyer at $50 plus $5 for shipping
pm me if interested in doing a deal
thanks
David

:)
Thanks for the info Mega, Much appreciated

icollectDCsports 01-30-2017 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by megalimey (Post 1625842)
your correct it would be classed as a used full ticket verses one that was found at some ones house who never went to the game IE: "no show" BUT INCLUDED in the paid attendance

Yes but full tickets that have neither been torn nor punched nor marked MAY also never have been sold and therefore never in the hands of fans. Alternatively, I know that some untorn tickets were in the pockets of some people at games because they were let into the stadium via nonpublic entrances. I can think of some nice, complete, and vintage WS tickets that exist in this state because a particular player's family never had their tickets taken. So, we don't always know the circumstances of such tickets.

In any event, I think complete and unused tickets do have a special place in collecting, even if they likely weren't present at games. I consider them souvenirs of a team, whereas used tickets are souvenirs of the game.

Scott Garner 01-31-2017 04:31 AM

As a long-time ticket collector, I actually see a good argument for collecting both stubs and full tickets. I know other ticket collectors that share my opinion on this as well based on many conversations through the years.

Finding either a stub OR a full ticket to a historic event is an extremely challenging task, literally like finding a needle in a haystack...

With vintage tickets, a stub was at the game, but a full ticket is usually the much rarer brother of the stub and can be an extremely challenging find for sure. One reason that ticket collectors like full tickets is that you gain more information that can sometimes be lost when a ticket is torn into a stub. Some examples include, year of the ticket, opposing team, Team President, font, sponsor info. Without full tickets dating stubs could be a genuine challenge to nail down as a collector. At the end of the day, ANY ticket that can be tied with certainty to an event of historic nature has absolute value to a collector, FWIW.

With my no-hit ticket collection, I actually collect both stubs and full tickets. If I find a stub to the game, I am always on the hunt for a full ticket as an upgrade because of the challenge associated with "the hunt".

The great thing about collecting in general is that there are many ways of doing it. There is no right or wrong answer. :) :cool:

icollectDCsports 01-31-2017 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Garner (Post 1625940)
As a long-time ticket collector, I actually see a good argument for collecting both stubs and full tickets. I know other ticket collectors that share my opinion on this as well based on many conversations through the years.

Finding either a stub OR a full ticket to a historic event is an extremely challenging task, literally like finding a needle in a haystack...

With vintage tickets, a stub was at the game, but a full ticket is usually the much rarer brother of the stub and can be an extremely challenging find for sure. With my no-hit ticket collection, I actually collect both stubs and full tickets. If I find a stub to the game, I am always on the hunt for a full ticket as an upgrade because of the challenge associated with "the hunt".
At the end of the day, any ticket that can be tied with certainty to an event of historic nature has absolute value to a collector, FWIW.

The great thing about collecting in general is that there are many ways of doing it. There is no right or wrong answer. :) :cool:

Agree. Both are cool.

megalimey 01-31-2017 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Garner (Post 1625940)

With vintage tickets, a stub was at the game, but a full ticket is usually the much rarer brother of the stub and can be an extremely challenging find for sure. One reason that ticket collectors like full tickets is that you gain more information that can sometimes be lost when a ticket is torn into a stub. Some examples include, year of the ticket, opposing team, Team President, font, sponsor info. Without full tickets dating stubs could be a genuine challenge to nail down as a collector. At the end of the day, ANY ticket that can be tied with certainty to an event of historic nature has absolute value to a collector, FWIW.

With my no-hit ticket collection, I actually collect both stubs and full tickets. If I find a stub to the game, I am always on the hunt for a full ticket as an upgrade because of the challenge associated with "the hunt".

as always Scott great insight to both variations of ticket ,if it is an important game I take what ever I can, stub or the much rarer occasion a Full untorn/punched ticket , on the other hand I personally have no interest in any of the Full or stub phantom tickets for games never played , or printers proof tickets that have no seat assignment/serial number therefor not valid for any game. these are mostly found as a full ticket
But i realize and except that some people like and collect them.

megalimey 01-31-2017 10:59 AM

Campanella ticket

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuddjcal (Post 1625861)
:)
Thanks for the info Mega, Much appreciated

just out of curiosity did you want to sell it ??

Scott Garner 01-31-2017 11:06 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by megalimey (Post 1626046)
as always Scott great insight to both variations of ticket ,if it is an important game I take what ever I can, stub or the much rarer occasion a Full untorn/punched ticket , on the other hand I personally have no interest in any of the Full or stub phantom tickets for games never played , or printers proof tickets that have no seat assignment/serial number therefor not valid for any game. these are mostly found as a full ticket
But i realize and except that some people like and collect them.

I personally never collect phantom tickets or tickets with no seat number as well. However, one exception is a box seat where there are no seat numbers ever used in an entire section. Here are two examples of tickets like I described. Nolan Ryan's 2nd no-hitter game in DET (Happy Birthday, Nolan Ryan, he's 70 today), and a rare box seat in the spendy section for Johnny Vander Meer's 2nd consecutive no-hitter). No seat numbers because of the section in the stadium.

megalimey 01-31-2017 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Garner (Post 1626048)
I personally never collect phantom tickets or tickets with no seat number as well. However, one exception is a box seat where there are no seat numbers ever used in an entire section. Here are two examples of tickets like I described. Nolan Ryan's 2nd no-hitter game in DET (Happy Birthday, Nolan Ryan, he's 70 today), and a rare box seat in the spendy section for Johnny Vander Meer's 2nd consecutive no-hitter). No seat numbers because of the section in the stadium.

wow I love the that Dodgers ticket and I never knew that his second no Hitter was the first night game at Ebetts Field, do you think that may have thrown off the Dodgers hitters where they may have had a problem with seeing the ball ?
I have never seen an actual game ticket for that game any idea of value ?(I know its not for sale) has to be worth more than many of the Koufax No Hitters I would think ??

Scott Garner 01-31-2017 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by megalimey (Post 1626064)
wow I love the that Dodgers ticket and I never knew that his second no Hitter was the first night game at Ebetts Field, do you think that may have thrown off the Dodgers hitters where they may have had a problem with seeing the ball ?
I have never seen an actual game ticket for that game any idea of value ?(I know its not for sale) has to be worth more than many of the Koufax No Hitters I would think ??

The lighting undoubtedly played a small part in the no-hitter, but night baseball was not unknown to the NL in 1938. The Cincinnati Reds had hosted 12 night baseball games a year since 1935.

The most recent realized prices for Vander Meer's 2nd no-hitter have hovered between $4500- $6,000 ballpark

mcgwirecom 01-31-2017 06:02 PM

As for full tickets with holes punched...I don't believe they are "used". I was told with regard to vintage LA Dodgers tickets as well as a few others, the holes were punched before they were given to a ticketholder as they were "comp" tickets. Meaning of course that they were not charged for them (possibly players families, etc) the holes were so they could not try to trade them back in for a refund. Thats the reason you see a lot of full tickets with holes. The holder did not pay anything and therefore if they couldn't go to the game they didn't lose any money nor could they trade them for another date. So they are still a full, unused ticket.

Scott Garner 01-31-2017 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcgwirecom (Post 1626214)
As for full tickets with holes punched...I don't believe they are "used". I was told with regard to vintage LA Dodgers tickets as well as a few others, the holes were punched before they were given to a ticketholder as they were "comp" tickets. Meaning of course that they were not charged for them (possibly players families, etc) the holes were so they could not try to trade them back in for a refund. Thats the reason you see a lot of full tickets with holes. The holder did not pay anything and therefore if they couldn't go to the game they didn't lose any money nor could they trade them for another date. So they are still a full, unused ticket.

Correct, Randall! ;)

icollectDCsports 01-31-2017 08:32 PM

Hmm. I had understood that at least some untorn, punched tickets were punched at the gates and were therefore used. I can see how some teams may have punched freebies for the reasons stated above, but do some then believe that all untorn, punched tickets are unused freebies? Just seeking clarification because I'm learning here. Thanks for everyone's insight.

Scott Garner 01-31-2017 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icollectDCsports (Post 1626268)
Hmm. I had understood that at least some untorn, punched tickets were punched at the gates and were therefore used. I can see how some teams may have punched freebies for the reasons stated above, but do some then believe that all untorn, punched tickets are unused freebies? Just seeking clarification because I'm learning here. Thanks for everyone's insight.

Punched tickets = complimentary tickets and are/were called "Annie Oakley's" (like they were shot by a gun) by people in the ticket office and by some ticket collectors.

YankeeFan 01-31-2017 10:13 PM

Lot's of great info & discussion lately guys. Thanks to all for sharing.

hardware303 02-02-2017 07:38 PM

I'm a long-time ticket collector as well and thoroughly enjoyed reading through this thread and I'm really glad to see the interest and enthusiasm for ticket collecting. Good stuff. I'd add that one of the appeals (to me, at least) of ticket collecting is that each ticket is truly unique. In most cases (Scott's example of the box seat tickets is a good example of this not being the case), each ticket is specific to one seat in one venue for one event on one date. As a collector, when you own it, no one else on the planet owns THAT ticket to the sec/row/seat it identifies. It's 1 of 1. My two cents worth...

Shoeless Moe 02-02-2017 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hardware303 (Post 1626878)
As a collector, when you own it, no one else on the planet owns THAT ticket to the sec/row/seat it identifies. It's 1 of 1. My two cents worth...

...unless its a Bleacher Seat :D:D