Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What are the next Million dollar cards? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=252208)

Yoda 03-12-2018 01:10 PM

A high grade E90-1 Joe Jackson. Wish I had one.

SMPEP 03-12-2018 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 1755515)
PSA 10 Valenzuela rookie. As far as I know one doesn't exist.

Anyone who would pay a million for a PSA 10 Valenzuela rookie (in today's dollars) is clinically insane.

Now a PSA 10 VENEZUELAN rookie of Nolan Ryan ... okay, that I might believe.

Touch'EmAll 03-12-2018 03:18 PM

It does not appear that PSA has slabbed a "MINT 9" T206 Cobb, green. If they do, perhaps a shot at $1. Million. Looks like there are 6 Walter Johnson portraits in 9 grade, only 1 Matty in 9 grade.

Leon 03-13-2018 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 100backstroke (Post 1756878)
It does not appear that PSA has slabbed a "MINT 9" T206 Cobb, green. If they do, perhaps a shot at $1. Million. Looks like there are 6 Walter Johnson portraits in 9 grade, only 1 Matty in 9 grade.

I don't think either of those, even in a 9, get to a million dollars. That said, the registry addiction is pretty strong to some.

MattyC 03-13-2018 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 1756824)
A high grade E90-1 Joe Jackson. Wish I had one.

Agreed. I think the last 8 to hit the block came pretty close.

Maybe a high grade T210 Shoeless.

Perhaps 2019 will see a big card of his hit the auction circuit.

JeffPrice 03-15-2018 11:17 AM

I can see one of the PSA 10 1953 Topps Mantles pushing a million soon.

MattyC 03-15-2018 12:02 PM

Good call— in fact It already broke that in private sale.

Peter_Spaeth 03-15-2018 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattyC (Post 1757760)
Good call— in fact It already broke that in private sale.

A bump can sure create a lot of value...

MattyC 03-16-2018 12:14 AM

Having held it raw before it was initially put in the 9-slab, I certainly felt it was deserving of the 10 grade. After all, the difference between a strong 9 and 10 is so hard for us to distinguish. The card was so impressive, a real thing of beauty and tickles the imagination to think how it journeyed through time. It was never going to be sold in the initial 9-slab, as both gents involved knew it was a gem mint card. The bump in effect didn't really change the value in the case of that sale, as they knew what the card was and had pretty much agreed on the price tag before it wound up in its final resting holder.

I thankfully had the pleasure of seeing the original collection from which it came. Meticulously built sets in binder after binder. Really special to behold.

brian1961 03-16-2018 11:16 AM

Thanks for sharing your story and insights, MattyC. I agree on the assessed value of this faultless, amazing Mantle. Glad it got bumped to a 10, when it was in fact too strong of a 9 not to be assessed the ultimate grade.

I know the owner of what he's coined, "The Maltese Falcon of Baseball Cards", feels doubly so.;) It's the 1953 Stahl-Meyer Franks Mickey Mantle in PSA 9 MINT condition. Unique, 1 of 1. THE perfect portrait of Mickey.
Furthermore, The Maltese Falcon Mickey Mantle is almost perfectly centered.

With the sheer value of all the cards in an older Topps set, and the time it requires to build a given set, it has ever so slowly made the PSA Set Registry irrelevant. Mind you, I am strictly referring to an older Topps set painstakingly built to PSA 8-10 standard. The buyers with the boo coo like exclusivity, and they enjoy impressing. It's better ( "better" as in the way of exercising more fiduciary responsibility to themselves, and more gratifying) to concentrate on a key game-face player, or an array of HOF rookie cards. In my experience, a suite of "the favored few" tends to make a more compelling display. A collection of prized pieces, so to speak, rather than a set of hundreds and hundreds of commons, several dozen stars and a dozen major stars. I might be wrong, but I doubt it.

-----Brian Powell