Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Cubs envoke $1 buyback for World Series Rings (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=238559)

drcy 04-20-2017 01:44 PM

It's rare, but I believe one can't sell one's Oscar. One was put up for auction a couple of years ago and there was a lawsuit over it.

The Medal of Honor can't be sold-- but that's a Federal law thing.

bn2cardz 04-20-2017 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drcy (Post 1652581)
It's rare, but I believe one can't sell one's Oscar. One was put up for auction a couple of years ago and there was a lawsuit over it.

This is true. So I guess another followup question is will this start a trend throughout MLB? If so what does that do to the conductibility and value of rings?

packs 04-20-2017 02:51 PM

It would be nice if the players refused the rings in support of the staff but I wouldn't hold my breath on it.

ronniehatesjazz 04-20-2017 03:08 PM

I don't see what the big uproar is all about. Is it typical for low level employees to always get rings? I'd be thrilled just to get one regardless of the stipulations. Would people really be ticked if someone gave them a Ferrari as a "loaner" in perpetuity? I look at it similar to players not wanting to sign autographs for grown men because they fear they will just be sold on ebay. In this case it's even worse because it has more meaning. I don't know maybe I'm just being callous but I think it was totally reasonable.

BTW before anyone says a Ferrari is a terrible analogy I think a lot of twenty something ticket salesman will be just as well off with the coeds by being able to sport a WS ring in the windy city!

Michael B 04-20-2017 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drcy (Post 1652581)

This is true for newer ones. Older ones, especially from the Civil War have been sold and not just the ones from that Maine Regiment that received them just for re-enlisting. Theirs were rescinded, but they are still out in the market.

packs 04-20-2017 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronniehatesjazz (Post 1652600)
I don't see what the big uproar is all about. Is it typical for low level employees to always get rings? I'd be thrilled just to get one regardless of the stipulations. Would people really be ticked if someone gave them a Ferrari as a "loaner" in perpetuity? I look at it similar to players not wanting to sign autographs for grown men because they fear they will just be sold on ebay. In this case it's even worse because it has more meaning. I don't know maybe I'm just being callous but I think it was totally reasonable.

BTW before anyone says a Ferrari is a terrible analogy I think a lot of twenty something ticket salesman will be just as well off with the coeds by being able to sport a WS ring in the windy city!

It sets a bad precedent because it makes needless insinuations about your employees.

mcgwirecom 04-20-2017 04:27 PM

1,908 rings. Thats too many. The Cubs created their own problem and are trying to second guess it. I don't think every person who works for them should get a ring. They should have given it to top level staff and then maybe employees with 25+ years or something like that. Or make them pay for them.

slidekellyslide 04-20-2017 04:56 PM

Just be glad you don't live in a state being run by the Ricketts family. :D

Dave Grob 04-20-2017 06:20 PM

World Series Rings

According to an entry on page 504 of The Cultural Encyclopedia of Baseball (2nd edition), “The feud between 1940s Dodgers Co-owners Walter O’Malley and Branch Rickey spilled over into World Series rings. When Rickey ordered World Series rings for the Dodgers in 1949, O’Malley insisted they turn in their 1947 rings before receiving new ones.”

Dave Grob

ooo-ribay 04-20-2017 07:39 PM

One buck sounds about right for a stinking Cubs ring. ;)