Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Cubs envoke $1 buyback for World Series Rings (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=238559)

Bestdj777 04-20-2017 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 1652483)
As an admin I think it's pretty short sighted to say the players are responsible for the championship. The Cubs are ultimately a business and a business depends on its employees. The players are only some of the employees. How do they think they manage to even get to games without the staff supporting them the entire way?

uber :)

Topps206 04-20-2017 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bn2cardz (Post 1652479)
Again you are missing the fact that this doesn't apply to the players. No player had to sign the contract. Players are free to do as they wish with their rings.
This is for the club support people.

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 1652483)
As an admin I think it's pretty short sighted to say the players are responsible for the championship. The Cubs are ultimately a business and a business depends on its employees. The players are only some of the employees. How do they think they manage to even get to games without the staff supporting them the entire way?

From what I read, this also applies to players.

The business has no championship without its employees. We don't look at behind the scenes because it is results on the field that matter. The staff helps, yes, but the players put in the hard work and effort. You could have the greatest staff in the world. The players need to perform. They even have their names on it. It's their own personalized ring that they earned.

You have former NFL players having to sell off their Super Bowl ring(s) to pay for medical expenses. It shouldn't have to come to that, but thankfully they have such an option. These Cub players should too if they should fall on hard times.

packs 04-20-2017 09:47 AM

I'm sorry but I'm not shedding any tears for a multi-millionaire who goes bankrupt. If anything you should be advocating for the employees to be able to profit from the rings. You might have a guy making 45K with 100K in student loans who busts his butt every day for the Cubs.

bn2cardz 04-20-2017 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topps206 (Post 1652495)
From what I read, this also applies to players.

The title of the article is :

"Cubs Ask Non-Players to Sign Agreement to Not Sell World Series Rings"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cubs Ask Non-Players to Sign Agreement to Not Sell World Series Rings-BleacherReport
Cubs general manager Jed Hoyer is among those who support the organization's decision:
I signed that thing willingly. Everyone except for the players signed it. I look at it as the Ricketts [ownership] were so unbelievably generous in the cost of the ring and the number they gave out, I think it's totally appropriate when you're paying for the ring and helping out with the taxes along with that—it seems appropriate to say, 'I don't expect you to take the gift I'm giving you and run out to the market with it.'

steve B 04-20-2017 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 1652498)
I'm sorry but I'm not shedding any tears for a multi-millionaire who goes bankrupt. If anything you should be advocating for the employees to be able to profit from the rings. You might have a guy making 45K with 100K in student loans who busts his butt every day for the Cubs.

And I'd bet that with 1908 rings given out some probably went to unpaid or nearly unpaid interns.

And anyone saying the players are the only ones putting in the hard work really needs to read more about the other jobs in baseball. I might agree the owners don't do a ton of work, but the people who manage and move the equipment, the people who break down and annotate game film so the players/coaches can spot trends in how a player works, even the people who clean the place after the game all work long hours and usually for very little pay.

Steve B

drcy 04-20-2017 12:33 PM

A Chicago museum director said in a museums management lecture that at the annual employees party, she likes it when she sees the board president standing next to the janitor who's standing next to the head curator who's standing next to a volunteer. To her, they're all part of the team.

When you go to a game, you judge the experience in major part by the comfort of the seats, the food, the help and friendliness of the workers, the cleanliness of the bathrooms, the ticket taker, the parking, etc. That has nothing to with the player employees.

Now, if your employer gives you a gift and you put it on eBay the next day, that's not a good look for when you ask for a raise or promotion-- or incentive for them to give you another gift. A person can do whatever he wants with a gift, and an employer doesn't have to renew your contact.

D. Bergin 04-20-2017 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bn2cardz (Post 1652504)
The title of the article is :

"Cubs Ask Non-Players to Sign Agreement to Not Sell World Series Rings"

Cubs general manager Jed Hoyer is among those who support the organization's decision:

I signed that thing willingly. Everyone except for the players signed it. I look at it as the Ricketts [ownership] were so unbelievably generous in the cost of the ring and the number they gave out, I think it's totally appropriate when you're paying for the ring and helping out with the taxes along with that—it seems appropriate to say, 'I don't expect you to take the gift I'm giving you and run out to the market with it.'

The Cubs Multi-Millionaire General Manager signed it willingly. Good for him. LOL!

:rolleyes:

Just don't give gifts if you want to put stipulations on them. Basically the Cubs want first rights for resale if they ever go to market again.

The Cubs ownership are so unbelievably generous in regards to the cost of the rings and the number they gave out, that they want them back if you actually treat the item as a "gift".

From the article I read, this also applies to future family members who inherit the ring. What incredible foresight from the Cubs ownership with this Scientology like perpetuity clause.

sago 04-20-2017 01:26 PM

Just don't tell anyone you sold it. There are plenty of people that would keep it in their collection without telling the world they have one. Even so, as long as the buyer does not reveal from whom they obtained it, who could find out which of the 1,000+ people sold it?

bn2cardz 04-20-2017 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sago (Post 1652576)
Just don't tell anyone you sold it. There are plenty of people that would keep it in their collection without telling the world they have one. Even so, as long as the buyer does not reveal from whom they obtained it, who could find out which of the 1,000+ people sold it?

This is what I was wondering as well. How well can it be enforced. Did they serial number them? Does the seller then make the buyer sign an agreement that states they won't publicly sell it?

Also for those that say you can't give rings with stipulations I would like to fully disclose that I have given a ring to someone with a stipulation... and we are still married :p

packs 04-20-2017 01:39 PM

I don't see how the agreement could be transferable either. For example, let's say the original owner gifts the ring to a child relative who then decides to sell the ring. How can a contract be enforced on a child?