Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Anybody watched Jeopardy lately? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=268075)

Paul S 05-27-2019 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryPassamonte (Post 1879245)
On the mlb network interview he also said he had read many books on various subjects geared towards children. He focused on a basic knowledge of many subjects, not an in depth study.

Back in the Eighties I remember about a big-time crossword puzzle champ. He pretty much said the same: "I have a vast and shallow knowledge."

clydepepper 05-27-2019 05:49 PM

After 'slumping' a few days last week, he got $130K tonight, with no missed answers.

Up to $2.195,557 in 28 days

Ken Jennings took 74 shows to get $2.520,700

You don't have to like the guy to enjoy watching!

barrysloate 05-27-2019 06:06 PM

I believe James has the top eighteen single game high scores. Agreed it is really interesting to watch him play as he is doing something historic. I hope he keeps winning.

pokerplyr80 05-28-2019 07:51 PM

Yea I just watched the one from yesterday. I think at the first commercial break he had 18k and 2nd place had 1k. It never got any closer.

darwinbulldog 10-01-2021 01:47 PM

With Matt Amodio having now moved into a tie with James for the 2nd longest winning streak in J! history, I'm resurrecting this old thread with a look back at my James Holzhauer predictions from April 2019.

1. How much is he going to earn in total during this run, and over how many games? I say $1,880,000 in 26 games.
[In the ballpark maybe, but he was already up to 17 when I made the prediction. Correct answer was $2,462,216 in 32 games]

2. I'll pick him to beat Jennings and Rutter at a tournament in a couple of years.
[Tournament happened, but Ken won.]

3. Whoever finally beats him will not go on to win 5 games in a row.
[That was correct. Emma Boettcher won 3 in a row before losing a close game in her 4th appearance.]

4. He'll own the top 10 spots on the single-day earnings leaderboard before the end of his streak.
[That was correct, and it still is.]

5. Someone else is going to put up a $100,000 day next season.
[Wrong. James remains the only player to have done that, and he did it six times.]

clydepepper 10-05-2021 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darwinbulldog (Post 2149885)
With Matt Amodio having now moved into a tie with James for the 2nd longest winning streak in J! history, I'm resurrecting this old thread with a look back at my James Holzhauer predictions from April 2019.

1. How much is he going to earn in total during this run, and over how many games? I say $1,880,000 in 26 games.
[In the ballpark maybe, but he was already up to 17 when I made the prediction. Correct answer was $2,462,216 in 32 games]

2. I'll pick him to beat Jennings and Rutter at a tournament in a couple of years.
[Tournament happened, but Ken won.]

3. Whoever finally beats him will not go on to win 5 games in a row.
[That was correct. Emma Boettcher won 3 in a row before losing a close game in her 4th appearance.]

4. He'll own the top 10 spots on the single-day earnings leaderboard before the end of his streak.
[That was correct, and it still is.]

5. Someone else is going to put up a $100,000 day next season.
[Wrong. James remains the only player to have done that, and he did it six times.]

- Amodio got $80K Monday (10/4) - I missed tonight.

He is now regularly going after the big money first- like James.

We expect more from our 'heroes' and the one thing I don't like about his answers is it's always 'WHAT is' even if the answer's a person. Technically, he's correct in that (the answer is WHAT is being requested), but I do like splitting hairs.

I believe I recall him fumbling a category on Dogs recently...hated that. I know he's a Baseball fan and I don't think he's messed up in that area. I mention those two categories because Dogs and Baseball are my two chief interests.

Does anyone accurately remember which categories he muffed?

darwinbulldog 10-06-2021 10:17 AM

https://www.vulture.com/article/jeop...g-answers.html