Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   American Greed-CNBC (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=243960)

brooklynbaseball 08-21-2017 05:14 PM

American Greed-CNBC

Tonight at 10pm et American Greed focuses on Bill Mastro. Should be interesting.

Sean 08-21-2017 05:33 PM

This is the third thread on this subject today. Seems like a popular topic. :D

ullmandds 08-21-2017 05:46 PM

i wish i had cable tv!

CurtisFlood 08-21-2017 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brooklynbaseball (Post 1693127)
Tonight at 10pm et American Greed focuses on Bill Mastro. Should be interesting.

Thanks for posting this, even if others have I didn't see it before now. I'll be watching for sure.

Leon 08-21-2017 06:42 PM

I hear it is channel 355 (CNBC as mentioned) on Direct TV....can't wait...

Stonepony 08-21-2017 07:10 PM

I'm seated and ready

irv 08-21-2017 07:24 PM

If any CDN's know what channel this is on, I'd appreciate the info, but I think I/we am SOL, sadly. :mad:

irv 08-21-2017 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irv (Post 1693172)
If any CDN's know what channel this is on, I'd appreciate the info, but I think I/we am SOL, sadly. :mad:

Just received a PM. Channel 79 here in Oshawa with Rogers cable. :)

RedsFan1941 08-21-2017 08:05 PM

There should be a rule: If you own a 1933 Goudey Lajoie, you have to be able to pronounce his name correctly.

timzcardz 08-21-2017 08:05 PM

Was just flipping through channels and found it on now!

Bobsbats 08-21-2017 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedsFan1941 (Post 1693185)
There should be a rule: If you own a 1933 Goudey Lajoie, you have to be able to pronounce his name correctly.

Absolutely Correct !!!

vintagerookies51 08-21-2017 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedsFan1941 (Post 1693185)

And also not claim that it's the 2nd rarest card out there. Half the members on this board probably have something rarer :rolleyes:

Jacklitsch 08-21-2017 08:37 PM

Lots of interesting facts coming out. Things I was unaware of...my bad.

kmac32 08-21-2017 08:38 PM

Fascinating to quote Mr. Spock

mechanicalman 08-21-2017 08:45 PM

Can anyone explain the Goudey Ruth 53 initially in a low grade SGC and then in a PSA 6? What was the story behind that?

Mdmtx 08-21-2017 08:45 PM

The guy that paid 500 bucks for a box of cards from an unknowledgable seller is just as bad in my opinion.

Mark

CrackaJackKid 08-21-2017 08:45 PM

American Greed

I hope Brent and Betsy at PWCC are watching! :)

ngnichols 08-21-2017 08:45 PM

Haven't seen anything I wasn't already aware of that had happened or is currently happening with auction houses that are on eBay right now.

orly57 08-21-2017 08:46 PM

Poor guy who made only 49k on his $500 garage sale purchase. I'm sure he went back to the guy he bought them from and said "I ripped you off. Here is 24k." He's whining about getting ripped off when he raped the guy for $500. Can't say I felt for him. I will say that I would kill for that Dihigo postcard Ryan has.

Joshwesley 08-21-2017 08:53 PM

Isn't lichtman on this site?

Rhotchkiss 08-21-2017 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mechanicalman (Post 1693203)
Can anyone explain the Goudey Ruth 53 initially in a low grade SGC and then in a PSA 6? What was the story behind that?

Totally agree here. Interesting that PSA substantially upgrades an SGC graded Ruth for Mastro. Especially when any SGC card submitted to PSA now would get a downward adjustment. Yet PSA cards bring a premium over SGC? Not that SGC is better than PSA (or BVG), or vice versa, but man.....

Bobsbats 08-21-2017 09:00 PM

Tonights show

Nice job Jeff and Ryan !! Tonight's show was informative
and remembering watching the FBI floating around the Nationals was always fun.

Orioles1954 08-21-2017 09:15 PM

I know Ryan and can vouch for his character. He came off very well tonight. The show didn't seem cohesive or very well put together. The Evers fellow added nothing to the program in my opinion.

Kenny Cole 08-21-2017 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshwesley (Post 1693208)
Isn't lichtman on this site?

Yes, and irrespective of whatever his detractors want to say, Jeff was one of, if not the first, people to call Mastro and Allen out He gets lots of credit from me for that. Ryan Christoff is also a member and he also deserves a ton of credit. Fair is fair.

Kenny

Bkrum 08-21-2017 09:23 PM

Evers

His whole story came off very poorly. He rips off a guy at a garage sale and the cries that he got ripped off by poor auction result to the tune of a 45k profit. His story about the "pristine" Aaron rookie was comical. The only interesting part was the potential evidence of the Ruth being resold by Mastro at a higher grade.

Orioles1954 08-21-2017 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bkrum (Post 1693223)
His whole story came off very poorly. He rips off a guy at a garage sale and the cries that he got ripped off by poor auction result to the tune of a 45k profit. His story about the "pristine" Aaron rookie was comical. The only interesting part was the potential evidence of the Ruth being resold by Mastro at a higher grade.

It could have easily been sold, shipped, reholdered and reconsigned.

jcmtiger 08-21-2017 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orly57 (Post 1693207)
Poor guy who made only 49k on his $500 garage sale purchase. I'm sure he went back to the guy he bought them from and said "I ripped you off. Here is 24k." He's whining about getting ripped off when he raped the guy for $500. Can't say I felt for him. I will say that I would kill for that Dihigo postcard Ryan has.

+1

Kenny Cole 08-21-2017 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bkrum (Post 1693223)

I presume that you are only talking about the one guy on the show. Because for those of us who repeatedly bid in Mastro's fixed auctions and won, at least for me, the whole story once again makes my blood boil.

Orioles1954 08-21-2017 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenny Cole (Post 1693229)
I presume that you are only talking about the one guy on the show. Because for those of us who repeatedly bid in Mastro's fixed auctions and won, at least for me, the whole story once again makes my blood boil.

The title of his post was Evers so I am presuming that's who he was referring to.

Bkrum 08-21-2017 09:37 PM

Evers

Yes I was only referring to the Evers part of the story

Jeffrompa 08-21-2017 10:12 PM

Elvis hair ...

How pathetic !

vintagerookies51 08-21-2017 10:31 PM

I'm apparently in the minority in not caring what Evers paid for that box of cards. If his story is true (very well could be a lie), then he offered the guy $500 just by looking at 4 cards. The seller must've been happy with it if he accepted right away. Either way it was a deal... but a major auction house stealing some of the cards from his group and advertising it poorly so they could buy it? That's flat out fraud. And that story about the Elvis hair... wow I had never heard about that but that's just stupid. Imagine if Goldin, REA, or Heritage was doing something like that

clydepepper 08-21-2017 10:41 PM

Sounds to me like we are all both victims and victors in the world Mastro created.

I wonder if we would be as interested in the hobby if the money wasn't there.

orly57 08-21-2017 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagerookies51 (Post 1693238)
I'm apparently in the minority in not caring what Evers paid for that box of cards. If his story is true (very well could be a lie), then he offered the guy $500 just by looking at 4 cards. The seller must've been happy with it if he accepted right away. Either way it was a deal... but a major auction house stealing some of the cards from his group and advertising it poorly so they could buy it? That's flat out fraud. And that story about the Elvis hair... wow I had never heard about that but that's just stupid. Imagine if Goldin, REA, or Heritage was doing something like that

No one is saying he defrauded the guy. He just didn't paint a sympathetic figure. A guy whining about getting ripped off when he made nearly 50k by essentially ripping off someone is almost as obnoxious as his pronunciation of "Lajoie."

vintagerookies51 08-21-2017 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orly57 (Post 1693240)
No one is saying he defrauded the guy. He just didn't paint a sympathetic figure. A guy whining about getting ripped off when he made nearly 50k by essentially ripping off someone is almost as obnoxious as his pronunciation of "Lajoie."

I would be willing to bet that, if any members were in the same situation, they'd be pretty upset too. But yeah, 49K from $500 is not a bad return!

Orioles1954 08-21-2017 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orly57 (Post 1693240)

Plus he didn't sound very knowledgable about the industry and his story didn't make sense. How can he be pissed with Mastro when it was SGC who graded his cards? What cards were missing? Ryan did really well and Jeff appeared far more reserved than I perceived him.

Jeffrompa 08-21-2017 11:01 PM

The only thing with that Evers guy ...

My BS meter was working overtime every time he spoke . I can't believe his garage sale story . Who knows ? Again that's what greed does to us I guess .

vintagerookies51 08-21-2017 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orioles1954 (Post 1693243)
Plus he didn't sound very knowledgable about the industry and his story didn't make sense. How can he be pissed with Mastro when it was SGC who graded his cards? What cards were missing? Ryan did really well and Jeff appeared far more reserved than I perceived him.

Agreed. The guy said the Lajoie was the second rarest of all baseball cards :confused: but didn't he say that Mastro didn't even include the Lajoie and several other cards in the listing? Or were they just not shown off as much as he would have liked... he wasn't very clear on that

bnorth 08-22-2017 04:32 AM

Does anybody know if this can be seen online? Got a link?

bnorth 08-22-2017 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagerookies51 (Post 1693238)

I am with you, I don't care what someone paid for cards. Isn't the Evers gentleman a member here. I remember someone posting a very similar story on here about Mastro ripping them off in the same way.

TakingStock 08-22-2017 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagerookies51 (Post 1693246)
Agreed. The guy said the Lajoie was the second rarest of all baseball cards :confused: but didn't he say that Mastro didn't even include the Lajoie and several other cards in the listing? Or were they just not shown off as much as he would have liked... he wasn't very clear on that

My interpretation was that Mastro Auctions intentionally omitted listing out the exact cards received on the auction agreement (the cards that he brought to their offices in person) and basically stole them from him by never listing them in the auction he was a part of thereby cutting the gentlemen out of cards he consigned but were never recorded.

timzcardz 08-22-2017 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 1693258)
Does anybody know if this can be seen online? Got a link?

http://www.cnbc.com/live-tv/american.../1029670979712

olrac44 08-22-2017 06:17 AM

I'd have to go see if I still had that Catalog from 2007 but again this gentleman is talking as if his cards were MINT like so many other people tend to do with their own RAW cards. Plus someone couldn't have bought the lot broke it down and graded a few cards....kept a few cards for themselves....and sold off the rest by consigning the rest back to Mastro Auctions? If everyone knew back then that Mastro Auctions was getting the best prices around....why wouldn't you consign the remaining cards back to Mastro?

slidekellyslide 08-22-2017 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by olrac44 (Post 1693280)
I'd have to go see if I still had that Catalog from 2007 but again this gentleman is talking as if his cards were MINT like so many other people tend to do with their own RAW cards. Plus someone couldn't have bought the lot broke it down and graded a few cards....kept a few cards for themselves....and sold off the rest by consigning the rest back to Mastro Auctions? If everyone knew back then that Mastro Auctions was getting the best prices around....why wouldn't you consign the remaining cards back to Mastro?

I can't believe how many are taking Mastro's side in Evers' case. They literally stole from him. They did the same thing to a local friend of mine who sent them a ton of early football memorabilia. They completely ignored his instructions to list the important and valuable programs separately. They lotted them all up and didn't even mention the highlights in the listing.

And does anyone really still believe that "gypsy" story with regards to Lionel Carter?

Mdmtx 08-22-2017 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slidekellyslide (Post 1693290)
I can't believe how many are taking Mastro's side in Evers' case. They literally stole from him. They did the same thing to a local friend of mine who sent them a ton of early football memorabilia. They completely ignored his instructions to list the important and valuable programs separately. They lotted them all up and didn't even mention the highlights in the listing.

And does anyone really still believe that "gypsy" story with regards to Lionel Carter?

My post was the first reference to the guy with the shoebox. I did not defend Mastro at all. Never have. Never would. The shoebox guy has every right to be pissed because it does appear the Mastro took advantage of him.

However, I think it's fair to say he took advantage of the original seller. He mentioned someone else was coming up the driveway and he had to hurry and make the deal. In my opinion he took complete advantage of an unsuspecting seller. If this sale was on eBay, or from someone who held themselves out as a dealer, I would have no issue. But it wasn't portrayed that way. It was some individual who got screwed by a flipper. Bit I guess that shouldn't be a surprise in the baseball card world. There are a ton of guys in this hobby that have no problem conducting business by duping people.

Mark Medlin

slidekellyslide 08-22-2017 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mdmtx (Post 1693293)
My post was the first reference to the guy with the shoebox. I did not defend Mastro at all. Never have. Never would. The shoebox guy has every right to be pissed because it does appear the Mastro took advantage of him.

However, I think it's fair to say he took advantage of the original seller. He mentioned someone else was coming up the driveway and he had to hurry and make the deal. In my opinion he took complete advantage of an unsuspecting seller. If this sale was on eBay, or from someone who held themselves out as a dealer, I would have no issue. But it wasn't portrayed that way. It was some individual who got screwed by a flipper. Bit I guess that shouldn't be a surprise in the baseball card world. There are a ton of guys in this hobby that have no problem conducting business by duping people.

Mark Medlin

Yeah, something doesn't seem right with that garage sale story.

Buythatcard 08-22-2017 08:00 AM

Evers should not be the focus of this thread. He did nothing wrong.

I believe every AH and eBay seller that shills their items should watch this video because this might wake them up.

WWG 08-22-2017 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrackaJackKid (Post 1693205)
I hope Brent and Betsy at PWCC are watching! :)

As I was watching the show on how the Wagner card was altered, I keep thinking of the 1936 Joe Dimaggio rookie debacle with PWCC.

T206Collector 08-22-2017 08:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by slidekellyslide (Post 1693290)

I have to say that I went back and read my letters from Lionel Carter recently about the attempted theft, and when you realize that it was this crime that prompted him to consign his collection to Mastro, it is extremely suspicious.

Peter_Spaeth 08-22-2017 09:08 AM

Gypsies, who knew exactly where he kept his cards. And Doug somehow KNEW in advance that all would be returned.