Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   caveat to sellers, OR, why Delivery Confirmation means nada. (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=111693)

Archive 04-25-2009 05:34 PM

caveat to sellers, OR, why Delivery Confirmation means nada.

Posted By: <b>Al</b><p>Got a call today from a lady who lives a bit over 2 miles from me. Lady says she received a small package addressed to me, but it was in her mailbox today. Her street address is 115 Dogwood Trail, mine is 115 Walnut Court, not even remotely close. The lady was kind enough to look me up in the phone book and give me a call.<br><br>The kicker here is that the piece was sent with Delivery Confirmation. No doubt the mail carrier scanned the piece into his/her little computer thingy telling the great Post Office computer that the piece had in fact been delivered. It was delivered ok, but a long way from where it was supposed to be received. The addressing was perfect, a computer printed label with the eBay logo at the top and paypal logo on the bottom. My name and address could not be more clear.<br><br>IMO, signature required (automatic with insurance over $200) is the only way to ship cards. You only have to have one &quot;unpleasant&quot; experience like I just did to ruin your day...I got lucky on this one.<br><br>

Archive 04-25-2009 05:39 PM

Posted By: <b>Jeff Lichtman</b><p>Al, that story is pitiful. I have two questions:<br><br>1) what was in the package?<br>2) is Newman your mailman?<br><br>

Archive 04-25-2009 06:04 PM

Posted By: <b>Richard Simon</b><p>Sounds like Cliff Clavin to me.<br>==<br><br>I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.<br>Unknown author <br>--<br>We made a promise. We swore we'd always remember.<br>No retreat baby, no surrender.<br>The Boss

Archive 04-25-2009 06:35 PM

Posted By: <b>Jeremy</b><p>Al,<br><br>I could not agree with you more...<br><br>Insure for $200+ everytime and you have guaranteed that a postman has to go to the consignee's door and ask for the sig of the person who it is addressed to...<br><br>Only downside is if there was a lost, stolen, misdelivered pkg, you have no tracking to prove it, but you can certainly file a claim that can take around 4-6 weeks to get paid. <br><br>If you want total comfort, insure for over $200, add the Delivery Signature Required sticker in addition to the Insurance sticker and you get tracking and insurance. (Of course cost a few bucks extra)<br><br><br><br><br><br>~ Jeremy ~

Archive 04-25-2009 06:51 PM

Posted By: <b>Mike C</b><p>In my experience it still doesn't matter how many confirmations, tracking, etc on the package...it is up to the mail carrier.<br><br>I have had 2 cards require delivery signature. Both times, and this was two different carriers, they signed for the cards and put the &quot;come get your package or we'll try again&quot; slip in my mailbox. <br><br>Both times, checking tracking online, item says delivered but I never received. Why? Because instead of leaving the package in my secure mailbox (I live in a condo) they took it back to the post office. Two different carriers did this. And then when I talked to the Post Master, he said this happens all the time. Both times it took them 24 hours to find the packages; even though marked as delivered.

Archive 04-25-2009 07:21 PM

Posted By: <b>Al</b><p>It was a 1955 Topps, #32, Ed McGhee PSA 8. I would hate to have lost the card to the gross incompetence of the USPS.<br><br>The lady BTW was very nice and said she gets mail &quot;all the time&quot; with 115...addresses. I will of course bring this to the attention of the Postmaster of the P.O. from which my mail comes.

Archive 04-25-2009 10:05 PM

Posted By: <b>Jodi Birkholm</b><p>Cliff took too much pride in his civil service to ever let such a travesty occur.

Archive 04-26-2009 05:37 AM

Posted By: <b>Chuck Ross</b><p>I had a similar experience a number of years back with a card I needed for my collection that I bought from another collector. I got the &quot;come get your package or we'll try again&quot; card and promptly showed up the next morning to pick it up. Unfortunately, they couldn't find it and never did find it. A bigger problem was that the system showed it as being delivered and I'm not sure the other collector ever really believed the story. Since it was only about a $50 card I just let it go but this thread just revived that unpleasant memory.

Archive 04-26-2009 08:10 AM

Posted By: <b>Frank Wakefield</b><p>Notwithstanding what is right and fair, as shameful as that may be...<br><br>What Paypal wants is Delivery Confirmation, they don't care whether the confirmed recipient actually received the item. So Delivery Confirmation means quite a bit to Paypal, even if we should remain a bit skeptical.