Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Do you like to post your autographs collection online? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=241318)

homerunhitter 06-20-2017 06:57 PM

Do you like to post your autographs collection online?

an interesting topic I saw on another collecting site. in regards to do you like/prefer to post pics of your collection online in the show it off threads? I ask because someone posted that they knew of a person that posted his autograph collection online and a couple of weeks after posting someone broke into his house and stole his entire collection. so after reading that alot of people say they no longer post or talk about their collections anymore online. what are your thoughts on this?

HOF Auto Rookies 06-20-2017 06:58 PM

I do and have my own site and keep all of my good cards in a bank safety deposit box so good luck :)

homerunhitter 06-20-2017 07:12 PM

thats a great idea to have a bank safe. i dont have that many desirable cards in my collection, but if I did, I would also rent a bank safe to put them in.

btcarfagno 06-20-2017 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOF Auto Rookies (Post 1672988)
I do and have my own site and keep all of my good cards in a bank safety deposit box so good luck :)

Yeah this. Don't have my own site though.

Tom C

Mr. Zipper 06-21-2017 06:17 AM

I've become a lot more reluctant to share online over the past few years. The issue I ran into was a few of the images were stolen and being used by eBay reprint sellers.

I will still post occasionally, but make sure to use smaller, low res images.

Klrdds 06-21-2017 06:25 AM

When you reach a certain point in collecting insuring your collection and its security becomes an important consideration.
I have my collection insured and have a security system for the house which includes all the usual detectors and sensors including stair sensors on the stairs themselves arranged like a mine field . Plus a generator for the house in case of power outages for the house but it is also hooked into the alarm system also.
One important thing is that I never tell anyone how much something is worth . That is usually the first question someone asks after seeing an item and asking where I got the item or items. They may not be a risk but they could tell somebody or have it trickle down the information chain until it reaches someone who is . For me it is a "Loose lips sink ships mentality".
I never give out too much info especially to non-collectors.

packs 06-21-2017 07:10 AM

I do worry sometimes but not right now in my current living situation. All of my things are kept in a heavy safe and I live on the top floor of a walk up apartment building. Anyone who actually pulled off stealing my collection would be in for carrying a 200 pound safe down four flights of stairs. It took three movers to get it upstairs and about 45 minutes of angling. Good luck.

tazdmb 06-21-2017 10:44 AM

Like others have said, I have an alarm system in my house and everything valuable is either my 200LB safe in the basement and/or in Bank Security Deposit boxes. Additionally, I have additional riders on my autographs, not that they could ever be replaced.

All that said, I love having my collection online and showing off to this community and others that appreciate it. Plus, I can look at my collection anytime I like without having to get in my car. Plus, my insurance company wants photo proof of all valuable autographs.

whyconform 06-21-2017 03:06 PM

I do!

For as much as I like collecting and saying I have xx's auto, I also enjoy showing it off and getting comments/criticism.

http://billshofautographs.weebly.com/

Only a small handful of my friends/relatives know I collect, so I like to reach out to the community. That being said, it's imperative to have collector's insurance, and meet all requirements set forth by the fine print. I have my collection split up, in separate locations/properties, and well protected.

I think if you are talking valuations of hundreds of thousands of dollars or more, then it might be a different story. But I really enjoy the community, working together with others to build collections, maybe buy lots with others to split up who we need, and essentially praise each other's pickups.....

theshleps 06-21-2017 08:01 PM

who do you guys like to use to insure the collection?

jgmp123 06-22-2017 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theshleps (Post 1673291)
who do you guys like to use to insure the collection?

I actually use State Farm and have had a very good experience with them.

Mr. Zipper 06-22-2017 11:35 AM

I've had a policy with Collectibles Insurance Service for years. They specialize in collectibles and have reasonable premiums. Never had to file a claim, so I can't comment in that regard.

https://collectinsure.com/

theshleps 06-22-2017 01:16 PM

anybody ever have to file a claim with Collectibles insurance? Am considering them but don't know anyone who had to file

T206Collector 06-23-2017 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOF Auto Rookies (Post 1672988)

+1 I love my website, and scans of my cards, but I don't keep anything valuable in the house. It's all in my safety deposit box.

HOF Auto Rookies 06-23-2017 01:08 PM

And if it weren't for this guy, ^^^^^, I probably wouldn't have a site.

Thanks for the inspiration, Paul!

Moyni 06-27-2017 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper (Post 1673465)
I've had a policy with Collectibles Insurance Service for years. They specialize in collectibles and have reasonable premiums. Never had to file a claim, so I can't comment in that regard.

https://collectinsure.com/

This.

T206Collector 07-01-2017 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOF Auto Rookies (Post 1673875)
Thanks for the inspiration, Paul!

Happy to help! Sharing collections is a lot of fun for me. I like visiting Brent's regularly and many others!

djson1 07-03-2017 11:22 AM

It's so sad that we can't just post nice things online without worrying about creepy evil-minded dbags lurking online to commit robbery. That's why you don't post your valuables and also don't post info when you go on vacation on sites like FB.

The bank safe is a good idea (good idea to have several in different locations), plus getting security cameras (and hidden ones too) and a good system that will at least help deter and record anybody coming into your home. My security cameras once caught somebody going through my garbage cans, so now I'm even careful not to throw out auction catalogs and packages that might give something away. Dispose of those at places other than your home.

To the OP: just curious, did the guy who had his stuff stolen have a security system with cameras at home?