Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   This is why I like where I live (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=248443)

Leon 12-05-2017 01:19 PM

This is why I like where I live
 
1 Attachment(s)
The view as I am on the forum. My wife left some leftover food in the fridge so when I got home from the Philly Show I could feed our friends. :) Many times there are committees. This is a single bird wake out in the lawn, near the driveway. It is much more clear in person, of course.

A group of vultures is called a committee, venue or volt. In flight, a flock of vultures is a kettle, and when the birds are feeding together at a carcass, the group is called a wake.

http://luckeycards.com/vulture3.jpg
and
http://luckeycards.com/vulture4.jpg

vintagetoppsguy 12-05-2017 07:48 PM

Nice, but too urban for me. I'm more of a country kind of guy :D

LuckyLarry 12-07-2017 05:41 AM

I had a bit of a mole problem in my yard that I was ignoring. Then this guy shows up. (notice the owl on the corner of my neighbors barn).
http://www.net54baseball.com/picture...ictureid=23623

tschock 12-07-2017 07:13 AM

You ARE Lucky, Larry. I wish our hawks would concentrate on the moles, chipmunks, and tree rats (squirrels, in polite society) and leave the birds alone. Not worried about the koi as much, since they are probably too big for the hawks to pick up at this point. And "Big Fatty" would probably eat one of the hawks if it was close enough anyway.

Snapolit1 12-07-2017 08:22 AM

I just learned more about vultures in the last 30 seconds than I have in 50 years. Cool stuff.



Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1726707)
The view as I am on the forum. My wife left some leftover food in the fridge so when I got home from the Philly Show I could feed our friends. :) Many times there are committees. This is a single bird wake out in the lawn, near the driveway. It is much more clear in person, of course.

A group of vultures is called a committee, venue or volt. In flight, a flock of vultures is a kettle, and when the birds are feeding together at a carcass, the group is called a wake.

http://luckeycards.com/vulture3.jpg
and
http://luckeycards.com/vulture4.jpg


samosa4u 12-07-2017 10:20 AM

Leon, I just love where you live. You have a lot of space around your home, privacy, peace and quiet. When my father purchased our Toronto home in 1985 it wasn't too bad, but now it's becoming a nightmare. Condominiums are being built everywhere, and it is getting so congested. I can't even pull the car out from the driveway anymore. And early in the morning I can hear all the f***ing cars and trucks going past. In the summer I have to listen to people's lawnmowers. I'm only 34, so I can put up with this for a while longer, but when I'm older, I'm getting outta' here!

Leon 12-07-2017 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samosa4u (Post 1727243)
Leon, I just love where you live. You have a lot of space around your home, privacy, peace and quiet. When my father purchased our Toronto home in 1985 it wasn't too bad, but now it's becoming a nightmare. Condominiums are being built everywhere, and it is getting so congested. I can't even pull the car out from the driveway anymore. And early in the morning I can hear all the f***ing cars and trucks going past. In the summer I have to listen to people's lawnmowers. I'm only 34, so I can put up with this for a while longer, but when I'm older, I'm getting outta' here!

Thanks!! Exactly why (peace and quiet) I picked our 6 acre lot to build on 23 yrs ago, when we bought the land. We are at the end of a cul de sac, with no HOA, and can barely see any neighbors at all. Our block has around 12 houses on around 150 acres. WE don't have blinds or drapes in the house as they aren't needed. Our house is built north and south so the sun never comes directly in. When I sold my collection we bought a house to downsize to, about a mile from here, but decided to stay here. The other house has 4 acres but not as many trees....and it's on a cul de sac with no HOA but not at the end, which is prime. Hopefully we stay here until we are pushing up daisies somewhere else.

rgpete 12-07-2017 08:32 PM

4 Attachment(s)
My view of the the front and back yard along with with my farm field.

rgpete 12-10-2017 06:43 PM

3 Attachment(s)
We have a few Bear, Deer, Quail, and Turkey on our 13.5 acres

BillCross 12-15-2017 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 1727217)
I just learned more about vultures in the last 30 seconds than I have in 50 years. Cool stuff.

Same here, man, but make mine 30 instead of 50. :D


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.