Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Collecting doldrums? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=246076)

Snapolit1 10-12-2017 09:52 AM

Collecting doldrums?

Similar to a few other posts recently . . .
It's hard to tell sometimes if things have quieted down or whether I'm personally just in one of those lull periods. . . . but I don't feel a lot of buzz on the board lately. Last year there was a lot of excitement every time a new Leaf Paige made an appearance, or an Exhibits Gehrig, or a cool CJ, but now it seems like big auctions and big supposed finds come and go with hardly a mention (except REA, which is always a buzz). So many high quality cards teed up, some over and over, that it's easy to not even notice them. Most of the posts (mine included) seem to be more in the vein of casual observations or general gripes, and less about an exciting card or series. And I'd say ditto for BST. Maybe it's just seasonal or auction fatigue. Or maybe there is a lot of excitement but just not what I'm into. Or maybe it's just where my head is at.

Leon 10-12-2017 10:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 1709665)
Similar to a few other posts recently . . .
It's hard to tell sometimes if things have quieted down or whether I'm personally just in one of those lull periods. . . . but I don't feel a lot of buzz on the board lately. Last year there was a lot of excitement every time a new Leaf Paige made an appearance, or an Exhibits Gehrig, or a cool CJ, but now it seems like big auctions and big supposed finds come and go with hardly a mention (except REA, which is always a buzz). So many high quality cards teed up, some over and over, that it's easy to not even notice them. Most of the posts (mine included) seem to be more in the vein of casual observations or general gripes, and less about an exciting card or series. And I'd say ditto for BST. Maybe it's just seasonal or auction fatigue. Or maybe there is a lot of excitement but just not what I'm into. Or maybe it's just where my head is at.

That. As someone in the hobby quite a bit I would say there is a lot of good stuff going on. Lot's of cards in auctions I am bidding on....Good stuff all over. It's all perspective. And of course, I too have had those down days. They happen. It can't be all roses and dandelions all of the time...

DeanH3 10-12-2017 10:46 AM

I too feel like I'm in a current down phase as well. I haven't had that gotta have it vibe for anything in particular. So much so that I'm using funds from recent cards sales for a family trip to Disneyland instead of feverishly searching for the next card purchase. Lulls happen and I'm sure I'll be back to jones for something soon enough.

Klrdds 10-12-2017 04:50 PM

I too find it hard to get as excited about the cards, jerseys, and autographs as I used to. I sometimes wonder if as collectors we can get "desensitized" to the items available in auctions or direct sales because of "sensory "overload , because so much stuff is available, too many auctions, too many great finds , too much availability ( most stuff is just an internet search/click away) such that there is no more suspense or unabashed anticipation, and finally too much bad press about our hobby as well as too many bad items out there in the market.
I think we get "numb" at a certain point . The doldrums will go away at some point and our feelings will return again at some point , but when , and what will cause it , and to what level it will return one never will know.

kailes2872 10-12-2017 05:33 PM

A couple of years ago, I was building sets and cards were coming almost daily. I would go to the mailbox every day and it was like Christmas all year long. As the collection gets larger, the desired set gets older, and the cards get more expensive, the buying is concentrated to bonus time in the spring and I find that I avoid doing a lot of shopping - so that I resist the temptation to buy outside of the budget.

Mike (Bocabirdman) told me that this happened to him as he was building his collection and it seemed impossible with so much still on the want list. Alas, it happens and my daily trips to Net54 seem to be my only lifeline into the hobby.

When I map out future sets and purchases, I know that it will only get slower - and this is with a healthy card budget. It kind of bums me out.

ronniehatesjazz 10-12-2017 09:49 PM

I've definitely noticed a lot less activity on BST recently. Not sure what is causing it. Perhaps it's just perception. Personally I kind of go through periods where I'm really into collecting and then lose interest for a period of time. I think it's like that with any hobby though.