Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Joe Dimaggio Premium id? 1930s? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=245836)

Leon 10-06-2017 02:52 PM

Joe Dimaggio Premium id? 1930s?

2 Attachment(s)
Recent pick up and trying to identify where/when it came from? it is 5 x 7 and on heavy card stock. The front is glossy and the back isn't. Bottom scan size is messed up. It's the same card. Thanks in advance...

bigfanNY 10-06-2017 05:05 PM

I saw this at Auction and I have definitly seen it before but so far cannot remember where it comes from. Anyway nice pick up cannot go wrong with Dimaggio..

spec 10-06-2017 10:27 PM

Wheaties issue

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1707945)
Recent pick up and trying to identify where/when it came from? it is 5 x 7 and on heavy card stock. The front is glossy and the back isn't. Bottom scan size is messed up. It's the same card. Thanks in advance...

This Joe D is from a c. 1941 Wheaties premium set that also includes Ted Williams, Bob Feller, Johnny Mize and Pete Reiser as well as golfer Patty Berg, football figures Tuffy Leemans and Bernie Bierman and 4 members of the Wheaties Armstrong/Fairchild etc. family.

irv 10-07-2017 06:42 AM

That's a great picture/card, Leon!

Leon 10-08-2017 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spec (Post 1708071)
This Joe D is from a c. 1941 Wheaties premium set that also includes Ted Williams, Bob Feller, Johnny Mize and Pete Reiser as well as golfer Patty Berg, football figures Tuffy Leemans and Bernie Bierman and 4 members of the Wheaties Armstrong/Fairchild etc. family.

Thanks Spec. I have searched for hours and can't find another single copy of any of these. Is there any other info anywhere on them that you know of? thanks so much....

spec 10-08-2017 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1708398)
Thanks Spec. I have searched for hours and can't find another single copy of any of these. Is there any other info anywhere on them that you know of? thanks so much....

We had a brief discussion of this set on the football side a while back when someone asked whether there were any cards of football HOFer Tuffy Leemans. It was a mail-in offer, so you usually see the whole set rather than single cards (photos).

paul 10-09-2017 06:47 PM

Spec, I'd love to see others from the set. Do you have any scans you can post? Thanks.

Leon 10-09-2017 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spec (Post 1708672)
We had a brief discussion of this set on the football side a while back when someone asked whether there were any cards of football HOFer Tuffy Leemans. It was a mail-in offer, so you usually see the whole set rather than single cards (photos).

Thanks Bob, That is an interesting discussion and nice premium of Tuffy.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...=210598&page=2

There doesn't seem to be anything in cyberspace about these? That said, I understand there is a lot that isn't known, or isn't out there in cyberspace yet. Or a search simply didn't catch something that IS already there.

The hunt for this esoteric stuff is a lot of the fun. Thanks again for the info.

spec 10-10-2017 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paul (Post 1708870)
Spec, I'd love to see others from the set. Do you have any scans you can post? Thanks.

Tried to post scans of the other 4 baseball players in the set, but kept getting message "Failed to upload". Sorry.
By the way, my understanding is that these were available through the Jack Armstrong radio program sponsored by Wheaties rather than offered on the cereal boxes. The photos of Jack, Betty Fairfield, her brother Billy and uncle Jim prove his connection. There is a perhaps related set of postcard-size photos of Jack, Betty, and the pair with the dog Arrow Champ plus one of Ted Williams (there may be other ballplayers, but I do not have them, nor a copy of the Williams postcard-size, but have seen several for sale over the years).

Leon 10-10-2017 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spec (Post 1709033)
Tried to post scans of the other 4 baseball players in the set, but kept getting message "Failed to upload". Sorry.
By the way, my understanding is that these were available through the Jack Armstrong radio program sponsored by Wheaties rather than offered on the cereal boxes. The photos of Jack, Betty Fairfield, her brother Billy and uncle Jim prove his connection. There is a perhaps related set of postcard-size photos of Jack, Betty, and the pair with the dog Arrow Champ plus one of Ted Williams (there may be other ballplayers, but I do not have them, nor a copy of the Williams postcard-size, but have seen several for sale over the years).

Very good. If you want to you can send me the scans or pics to leon@net54baseball.com and I will try to post them for you. Not sure I have ever seen these before....thanks again.

Leon 10-10-2017 09:42 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by spec (Post 1709033)

Thanks for sending these scans over, Bob. Incidentally, they were around 1.8mb each and I think the max our system will resize to fit is approx. 1 MB.
Neat cards/premiums....Are they on thicker card stock and 5 x 7, with glossy fronts :) ? ....best regards

spec 10-10-2017 10:19 PM

Thanks, Leon. I figured it was something beyond my technical expertise.
The photos are indeed 5x7, glossy and on a heavy photo (not card) stock.

Leon 10-12-2017 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spec (Post 1709210)
Thanks, Leon. I figured it was something beyond my technical expertise.
The photos are indeed 5x7, glossy and on a heavy photo (not card) stock.

Thanks again for the ID, Bob. It is appreciated. I think at least a few of us (at least me and the seller) looked for a while with nadda. :cool:

JeremyW 10-12-2017 03:48 PM

I really like that Williams. Cool items.

paul 10-16-2017 06:22 PM

Very cool indeed. Thanks for posting the pictures.

shagrotn77 09-02-2018 11:38 PM

I’d be very interested in buying the Tuffy Leemans from the Wheaties set if anyone knows where I might be able to track one down.

Leon 09-05-2018 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shagrotn77 (Post 1809798)
I’d be very interested in buying the Tuffy Leemans from the Wheaties set if anyone knows where I might be able to track one down.

Good luck on finding one. I had never even known this set existed before this thread. But you never know!!