Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   T206 - Cubs w/ all back variations. 559 variations!!?? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=91961)

Archive 01-26-2009 06:22 AM

T206 - Cubs w/ all back variations. 559 variations!!??

Posted By: <b>Eric S.</b><p>OK Guys,<br><br>I started on the T206 Cubs about two months ago and it has been fun and challenging, but when I researched variations which doesn't include the blue back Evers, I show 559 front and back combinations! Can this be true? Should I consider I'm done once I have all the different poses, or go for the backs?<br><br>

Archive 01-26-2009 06:27 AM

Posted By: <b>peter ullman</b><p>that is up to you...but you will never get all of the backs...never.

Archive 01-26-2009 06:51 AM

Posted By: <b>PC</b><p>Trying for a particular subset of the T206 backs is possible, but finding one of each of the available Drum, Lenox, Broad Leaf, Uzit and Red Hindu back T206 Cubs would be daunting and incredibly expensive given the several HOFers and Reulbach who is a somewhat more expensive &quot;common&quot;.<br><br>Maybe you could leave out the top dozen or so toughest backs:<br><br><a href="http://www.t206museum.com/page/ch_scbklt.html" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://www.t206museum.com/page/ch_scbklt.html</a><br><br>Start with Sweet Caps and Old Mills, and see how it goes. Even Tolstoi and Cycle will be hard.<br><br>Good luck.

Archive 01-26-2009 07:08 AM

Posted By: <b>Jason L</b><p>For me, I just completed the 37 card master set of &quot;Fronts&quot; and that was plenty challenging enough for my patience and wallet.<br><br>Chasing a set of variations as extensive as the one you mention sounds like absolute insanity to me, but each must march to his own drummer. <br><br>Good luck with whichever route you choose!

Archive 01-26-2009 07:09 AM

Posted By: <b>Eric S.</b><p>It appears that there is a Lundgren Chicago variation out there with a Brown Hindu back. I can imagine this is one of the tougher finds. I like the idea of start with the most populated backs and work backwards.

Archive 01-26-2009 07:13 AM

Posted By: <b>Eric S.</b><p>Jason,<br><br>I consider the set to be 38 seeing as Lavender (Providence) is in the set and pitched for Chicago after being brought up. Easy and inexpensive addition but could easily be debated as not a part of the team.<br><br>e

Archive 01-26-2009 07:18 AM

Posted By: <b>Jim Rivera</b><p>I have been collecting T206 for about 20 years and have been collecting the Baltimore team with all possible front/back combos for about 8 years. There are 9 Baltimore players and 13 possible backs that have 117 different combos.<br><br>Right now I have 75 different but that includes 2 blank backs, So I really have 73. I know of about 8/10 more that I am positive exist. The other cards I have never seen. I have talked to the many collectors about this and have come to the conclusion there are some combos that do not exist. I am sure I will find some I thought were impossible but I will never have all 117.<br><br>A good example are the Sovereign backs. I have 7 different but have never seen Adkins and Dessau with Sovereign. Barry S. had a large Sovereign find with no Adkins and Dessau. Also Ted Z. has compiled lists of all known cards from the board members and 30+ years of collecting. Also Art M. and Brian W. don't have these on their pop reports either. After all this I think they were no prints. One day they may turn up. That is why it is called the MONSTER.<br><br>I am positive you will find the same thing when you get deep into the Cubs.<br>good luck with your quest.<br><br>JR

Archive 01-26-2009 07:54 AM

Posted By: <b>Eric S.</b><p>JR<br><br>I am not the fan of graded cards. I have had more challenges finding some of the variations I need ungraded than finding them graded. Do you have a suggestion for this issue?

Archive 01-26-2009 08:28 AM

Posted By: <b>Jim Rivera</b><p>I would go to the shows and go to every table and look through every t206 each dealer has. You will be able to hold each card and it is easier to judge a card in hand than through a scan on ebay or a dealers site.<br><br>there are alot of 206s at shows that will never see ebay. Not sure where you live but the Philly show is great. I have got as many if not more cards from that show than private deals or ebay.<br><br>I picked up 3 raw cards at a show at a local mall this weekend. Arundel Mills Mall in Hanover Maryland has a show about once a month. Not sure about other areas but there are several like this in my area.<br><br>ok hope this helps