Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   better deals at shows or ebay ? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=334239)

rjackson44 04-17-2023 10:18 AM

better deals at shows or ebay ?

with the tax and shipping on ebay its getting nuts ,,your opinions thx

Eric72 04-17-2023 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjackson44 (Post 2332572)
with the tax and shipping on ebay its getting nuts ,,your opinions thx

I've seen deals on eBay and at shows.

I've also seen outrageous asking prices on eBay and at shows.

So, if you're hunting for deals...keep hunting in both places.

rjackson44 04-17-2023 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric72 (Post 2332574)
I've seen deals on eBay and at shows.

I've also seen outrageous asking prices on eBay and at shows.

So, if you're hunting for deals...keep hunting in both places.

ive been buying 49 bowman and 52 bowman hofers prices are insane just crazy

bnorth 04-17-2023 10:44 AM

I haven't been to a show in decades.:(

EBay is full of insanely overpriced BIN auctions but there are also a lot of great deals to be had. My favorite are those that have real auctions that start out way below market value. Then they end on Mondays or even worse in weird hours like in the middle of the night or anytime during normal work hours.

Johnny630 04-17-2023 10:52 AM

Shows

mrreality68 04-17-2023 11:49 AM

scary but the prices at shows seems to be better.

There are some deals on ebay but mostly seems like everything I like or want is over priced and often cards that were just on auction show up on ebay with dramatic price increases.

Touch'EmAll 04-17-2023 12:00 PM

If we are comparing show prices vs. eBay - is it BIN eBay prices or are we talking average Auction ending prices ?

I haven't been to any shows, but with eBay, on the auction format, I am seeing significant price differences between average for the grade vs. high end for the grade, particularly centering - near perfect centering is commanding healthy premium.

bobbyw8469 04-17-2023 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrreality68 (Post 2332602)
scary but the prices at shows seems to be better.

There are some deals on ebay but mostly seems like everything I like or want is over priced and often cards that were just on auction show up on ebay with dramatic price increases.

Everyone is a flipper now. Granted, you can bid on them via auction the same as everyone else though.

refz 04-17-2023 12:52 PM

I’ve actually seen more outrageous prices at shows lately than the bay. It’s more like come on really? I totally understand they can ask what they ask, this is their full time job etc. but I’m not paying $400 for a 1955 Topps Jackie Robinson that has tape all over it & trimmed at the same time or $300 for a standard t206 2-3 grade common… no sale lol

bobbyw8469 04-17-2023 12:54 PM

[QUOTE=mrreality68;2332602]scary but the prices at shows seems to be better.

Northviewcats 04-17-2023 04:10 PM

eBay vs Shows

I am most likely in the minority here, but I think eBay is the better way to shop and sell.

As a buyer the prices are about the same, but you have the connivence of staying at home and using their search engine to find exactly what you want. You save on transportation costs, entrance fees, and paying for parking. If the show is crowded it is a pain searching through boxes or albums looking for what you want. Frequently, you have to ask for a price because the items are not clearly priced. To me, going to shows is more about meeting other collectors.

As a seller, I have found that selling on eBay is better. You don't have to lug your inventory around and set up your booth. Once you list an item on eBay your done until someone buys it. I also like that eBay collects the taxes and give vendors a lot of data and information that helps them build their business.

I know that most of the buy-it-now prices on eBay are expensive, but some vendors will negotiate if you ask nicely.

If you are looking for simply looking for bargains, I have found more deals on eBay than at shows, but it does take some work. To be honest if you want to buy cards at a discount off the high prices at shows or eBay, you have to be a flipper. Buy large lots of cards and sell everything that you don't want, the savings will fund your collection. It has mine.

Best regards,

Joe

hcv123 04-17-2023 04:42 PM

A view from both sides

I am a dealer and buy and sell regularly at shows and have an Ebay store for 25 years. Most of my sports cards buying and selling happens at shows. With competition so fierce for good quality inventory the margins have been forced ever tighter - tack on 10%-15% depending on your seller status for Ebay fees and there is just not enough margin for that to be viable as an exclusive business model. I find Ebay great for inventory like comic books and magazines. It is also good for the more obscure items that need a very specific buyer - Ebay definitely has a lot of "eyes". So there is a lot of inventory I don't bring to shows anymore and just do on Ebay.
Whether it is shows or Ebay, you will always have a lot of overpriced items to sift through to find the right card at the right price. If you put in the work, they really can be found in both places.

bmattioli 04-17-2023 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 (Post 2332621)
Everyone is a flipper now. Granted, you can bid on them via auction the same as everyone else though.

Not true.. I haven't Flipped anything in 20 years and only collect. I buy a bigger house as needed..:)