Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Homemade Cards and Year ID help (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=262288)

obcmac 11-18-2018 09:33 AM

Homemade Cards and Year ID help

1 Attachment(s)
I won the lot that included this bunch of homemade cards in the recent Huggins auction. I recognized the T222 and t202. Looks like the others are from newspaper or magazine? Anybody know the date of the Ruth image or the source publication for the other cards?

Thanks,

Mac

Leon 11-20-2018 05:12 PM

My gut tells me they could be newer fantasy pieces but not sure. So they are on paper stock and not card stock? Were they sold as newer, reprint types?

Quote:

Originally Posted by obcmac (Post 1827918)
I won the lot that included this bunch of homemade cards in the recent Huggins auction. I recognized the T222 and t202. Looks like the others are from newspaper or magazine? Anybody know the date of the Ruth image or the source publication for the other cards?

Thanks,

Mac

obcmac 11-28-2018 10:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are some back scans. It appears that they were part of a larger collection of mostly A's/Philadelphia stuff that had a lot of t205/t206 type stuff as well. I would be very surprised if they were modern. The collection appears to date 1911-1914 (with the t206 and Fatimas setting the boundry). It is a little surprising that Ruth would be in the group though.

Leon 11-28-2018 10:31 AM

I am guessing the fronts might be modern, or maybe period ad cuts at best, and the backs are hacked up real cards. Then glued together to make a nice fantasy card (if those are the backs of the cards first shown). To the specific question of where the fronts came from, hopefully someone will know....?

obcmac 11-28-2018 11:19 AM

I like skepticism and think all cards should be questioned, but do you think someone recently cut up a T222 grover alexander for a fantasy piece, then gathered a bunch of period philadelphia a's players photos, combined them with period backs, found period glue, practiced old-timey writing for almost worthless fantasy pieces? I should add that there are t207's and a large collection of Cracker Jacks that were also in the collection and auctioned seperately. I don't think these are valuable...mostly just interesting relics from the period. Thanks for the response in any case...I would still love to find any original version of any of the photos. Check back next week and maybe one of them will be autographed ;-)

alywa 11-28-2018 11:45 AM

What's under the glued on photos? Any seams that give hints?

bbcard1 11-28-2018 11:52 AM

Mac, I have no idea what you paid for them, but they look awesome to me.

gabrinus 11-30-2018 02:14 AM

Cool

Mac those are cool cards...I wonder with a Maranville in there if they could have been "made" in the 30s....possibly cut out from books or magazines from that time....anything later than that I don't think he would have been included.....Jerry

obcmac 11-30-2018 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gabrinus (Post 1831532)
Mac those are cool cards...I wonder with a Maranville in there if they could have been "made" in the 30s....possibly cut out from books or magazines from that time....anything later than that I don't think he would have been included.....Jerry

Maranville was with the Boston Braves from 1912-1920, so I'd say they are from that period (you can see the B on his jersey). The Fatimas are from that era as well. I did peek at all the polar bear backs in the lot...no hidden gems used as paper stock.

Leon 11-30-2018 07:23 AM

I didn't realize some are real photo fronts. Good luck on finding where the front images are from otherwise....

Quote:

Originally Posted by obcmac (Post 1830807)
I like skepticism and think all cards should be questioned, but do you think someone recently cut up a T222 grover alexander for a fantasy piece, then gathered a bunch of period philadelphia a's players photos, combined them with period backs, found period glue, practiced old-timey writing for almost worthless fantasy pieces? I should add that there are t207's and a large collection of Cracker Jacks that were also in the collection and auctioned seperately. I don't think these are valuable...mostly just interesting relics from the period. Thanks for the response in any case...I would still love to find any original version of any of the photos. Check back next week and maybe one of them will be autographed ;-)

sirraffles 11-30-2018 10:25 AM

Are they available? Charles Mandel