Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Did this go cheap - ebay (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=333763)

jimq16415 04-04-2023 07:45 AM

Did this go cheap - ebay

1 Attachment(s)
I was watching this to see how it did, I have a similar card in an SGC 1 and there really aren't a lot of comps. Did this go cheap since it's a little short, or is it about the right price? I don't know much about EPDGs but I expected it to sell higher. thanks for any thoughts! (Sold for 655)

nineunder71 04-04-2023 09:11 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here’s another SGC 1

the trimmed example sure has a nice picture, but a lot of people (including me) are trying to weed those “altered” cards out of the collections

Either Way, Love me some off-back T206 HOFers! I think someone got a fair deal on that card

Cheers

icurnmedic 04-04-2023 09:27 AM

Watching as well, seemed right to me considered altered, I try not to touch those if possible.

jimq16415 04-04-2023 10:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's my SGC 1, I think it's beautiful. It's not trimmed but it does have a pinhole. Is that less "hated" than trimmed?

donmuth 04-04-2023 10:40 AM

pinholes

Yes, in my opinion a minor pinhole like yours is much more attractive to collectors than a trimmed (or re-colored or...) copy. I think more so for sets like T3's, but certainly your T206 example is really nice looking. I would guess most collectors would be OK with it in their collections, but maybe I am wrong.

I am sure I have some trimmed T206s in my collection and they will probably stay there until I have finished the 520 card set. I may upgrade some of them if I'm still interested in working on T206s by then which is several years down the road at a minimum.

nineunder71 04-04-2023 11:16 AM

That Lajoie is an Absolute Beauty!! Congrats

Pinholes don’t bother me at all, to each their own

I’ve also heard that SGC won’t grade any card with a pinhole higher than a 1, boy that one would deserve higher if they did

Thanks for Sharing

tbob 04-07-2023 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nineunder71 (Post 2329551)
That Lajoie is an Absolute Beauty!! Congrats

Pinholes don’t bother me at all, to each their own

I’ve also heard that SGC won’t grade any card with a pinhole higher than a 1, boy that one would deserve higher if they did

Thanks for Sharing

I think that’s correct about SGC and pinholes. They are also brutal on 1909-1915 caramel cards which look exmt but have a very tiny bit of paper loss on the back.

2dueces 04-07-2023 03:50 PM

As long as it’s advertised as trimmed or altered I don’t have a problem with it. The problem is how many times might it get submitted before it might slip through the cracks?

Fred 04-07-2023 07:54 PM

I wonder if people are buying the label/holder rather than the card. The card looks really presentable. I'd take that over a beat and tattered card with a "1" grade if the price was comparable.

The SGC 1 with the pin hole is another card I'd take anytime over a thrashed card with the same grade. If you can find cards with low grades (like the card with the pin hole in post 4) and with a price that reflects the grade rather than the overall appeal, then BUY IT.

Leon 04-11-2023 08:22 AM

$655 seems about right for the Lajoie that is trimmed.

parkerj33 04-12-2023 10:30 AM

I'd say 655 is reasonable for a trimmed card. That pinhole lajoie is a real gem! Nearly perfect centering, sharp corners, good registration. The only critical flaw better than a small pinhole is back writing or back paper loss...and some would prefer the pinhole over the paper loss. Far better than a beater 1.