Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   boston shriners card show VS new york white plains (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=179698)

g_vezina_c55 12-03-2013 10:34 AM

boston shriners card show VS new york white plains

I have a question :

I am into book my 2014 card show schedule. I would like to know if the white plain NY card show is bigger than the boston shriners card show ?

For me it is arround 2 hours more of driving...

wazoo 12-03-2013 11:11 AM

I enjoy the Shriner's show more.

iwantitiwinit 12-03-2013 11:18 AM

I have to be honest, I went to the White Plains show this past weekend (Sat around noon) and was very disappointed. I was going to ask what others here thought about it but didn't want to be negative. In a word I found it to be "depressing". I've never been to the Shriners show but it wouldn't take much to top White Plains in my opinion.

g_vezina_c55 12-03-2013 11:18 AM

OK.
The shriners is a cool show i really enjoy to be at the show.

my question about that is

white plain is a bigger show ? more vintage stuff ?

iwantitiwinit 12-03-2013 11:22 AM

Not an over abundance of vintage stuff in WP and what there is is super overpriced.

wazoo 12-03-2013 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iwantitiwinit (Post 1212919)
I have to be honest, I went to the White Plains show this past weekend (Sat around noon) and was very disappointed. I was going to ask what others here thought about it but didn't want to be negative. In a word I found it to be "depressing". I've never been to the Shriners show but it wouldn't take much to top White Plains in my opinion.

It was too cluttered for me and the selection wasn't that great to be honest.

wazoo 12-03-2013 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by g_vezina_c55 (Post 1212920)
OK.
The shriners is a cool show i really enjoy to be at the show.

my question about that is

white plain is a bigger show ? more vintage stuff ?

Not really much vintage stuff. I mean there's a good selection but it's way too expensive.

g_vezina_c55 12-03-2013 11:24 AM

OK thanks guy for your honnest opinion. So i will keep my booking for the shriners in 2014:)

daves_resale_shop 12-03-2013 11:51 AM

WP VS Shriner's

Shriner's seems to be hands down a bigger show & brings out many more vintage dealers than WP. It is less frequent and I believe that they bring those vintage dealers that get a couple of show in year out of the woodwork.

As for WP... in my opinion it is the best show in the area, but the basement show (every now and again the main floor of the county center is occupied), is considerably less exciting than the big show upstairs... The upstairs show draws more of a crowd both on the buying and selling side...

g_vezina_c55 12-03-2013 11:53 AM

Thanks David !

The only positive thing i can see in the WP Show is time square :) Lady liberty and a cheeze cake at Juniors :) heheheh

T206Collector 12-03-2013 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iwantitiwinit (Post 1212919)

I have to agree, at least with respect to last weekend. The annual "East Coast National" during the summer is usually pretty good, by my standards.

The show this past weekend was "depressing." I literally had hundreds of dollars I was willing to spend on such "rarities" as SGC 60 T206s or 1933 Goudeys. I find exactly one that was anywhere near close to a reasonable price. Couldn't believe it.

Left with my money. Hallelujah.

Sean1125 12-03-2013 11:55 AM

Shriners. White Plains was a joke.

Republicaninmass 12-03-2013 12:53 PM

MANY of the same vintage dealers at both. Shriner's hold a place in my heart being from Mass. Make sure you hot the November show, not the April, half the dealers, twice the attitude.

g_vezina_c55 12-03-2013 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Republicaninmass (Post 1212949)
MANY of the same vintage dealers at both. Shriner's hold a place in my heart being from Mass. Make sure you hot the November show, not the April, half the dealers, twice the attitude.

Last year i was at the 2 show and i plan to be present for the 2 show also in 2014.

Prince Hal 12-03-2013 01:10 PM

I was at the White Plains Show and I agree that there was not a huge pre-war presence but if you were looking for T206 HOFers for example you could find a good selection. There was not, however, pricing that was aimed at moving product. This was a smaller show. There are 300 table shows during the year that I will at least check out once. Haven't been to the Shriner Show. I did pick up a M101-4 Hugh High in collector grade that I have been looking for so it wasn't a total loss!

olrac44 12-03-2013 01:22 PM

I don't think you can make the decision on White Plains based upon the Thanksgiving show. It's in the basement, while the other shows the rest of the year are in upstairs in the main floor. It's a holiday weekend so many dealers don't travel to the White Plains show.

I think the rest of the White Plains shows are very similar to the Shriners show.

kamikidEFFL 12-03-2013 03:42 PM

i live like 15 mins or so from the shriners show and there is a ton of pre-war stuff and the people are willing to deal. A lot of nice stuff. I would highly recommend the shriners for sure

Donscards 12-04-2013 06:48 AM

Boston show vs White Plains

I have done every Boston show since its inception---it is by far the best show in New England---Great Dealers---Collectors--etc.----I have not done the White Plains show since Gloria R.---Back then, it was a great show--but most all shows were then---The Nov. Shriners has more tables and a better crowd---but the April show is coming on---if you never have been to the Boston show, give it a try---great vintage stuff and a fun time for all. thanks, Don Hontz

glynparson 12-04-2013 02:58 PM

If Gloria

Was still with us and running this show it would probably be a different story but the way things are now Shriners. Ps I think Jimmy Ryan does a good job with the white plains shows. Gloria however was a legend.

trobba 12-05-2013 04:54 AM

White Plains shows sucks and has for years if you collect vintage (tobacco) cards...

on a positive note, I met a nice dealer who helped my 7 year old son get some shiny new cards. Somehow when buying cards for my son I don't mind paying triple what a Dustin Pedroia card is probably worth, but if I was buying for myself I would have left gruffy and pissed off. I did manage to teach my son how to say, "whats the best price you can do for these 3 cards?", so paying triple also bought me some valuable street smarts lessons as well.