Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   1907 Wolverine News Postcard Finds (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=266665)

Cards2121 03-08-2019 12:15 PM

1907 Wolverine News Postcard Finds

3 Attachment(s)
Hi guys, I just wanted to share a few of my finds from the last couple of months. Over the summer I went to a “city wide” garage sale. I came across a seller who had some old fish tobacco cards so I asked if he had any baseball cards. Turns out he used to be an antique dealer in the 80s and still had quite a few cards. We finally meet up In December and to my surprise he had a 1907 Wolverine News Cobb batting. We agreed on a price and I was ecstatic to acquire it. 2 weeks later I see an add for some old Tiger programs. Owner tells me he also had a stack of Wolverine postcards. Unfortunately he sold them already but put me in contact with the buyer. After about a month of negotiating I finally was able to acquire the stack which included another Cobb batting along with several team cards, a Crawford, Jennings, and 12 other commons! I recently got them graded, one Cobb came back a PSA 3 while the other SGC authentic (still not convinced its altered just has a funky cut on top). So in the 5 years I’ve been collecting I’ve never even seen a Wolverine news postcard and in 2 weeks I was lucky enough to buy 2 Cobbs! I figured the other Cobb postcard collectors might appreciate seeing these.

yanksfan09 03-08-2019 12:44 PM

Amazing garage sale finds Joe!
Finding 2 Cobb Wolverines is crazy, such tough cards!

Wish I could find a garage sale like that in my neck of the woods!

h2oya311 03-08-2019 12:47 PM

Nice haul! Love those Wolverine News PCs! No Wolverine News Portraits of Cobb in the group?? That's too bad. But such a sick group! Love it!

insidethewrapper 03-08-2019 01:35 PM

Some guys have all the luck. Congratulations !!! A garage Sale !!!!!

Bicem 03-08-2019 01:43 PM

Another great find Joe!

VintageBen 03-08-2019 04:02 PM

omgggggggggggg :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

bigfish 03-08-2019 06:39 PM

Joe

Well done

BeanTown 03-09-2019 12:01 AM

Great story and way to make it happen with hard work and good negotiating over time. Love the Our Home Team foldout postcard you show in the group photo. Congrats

GasHouseGang 03-09-2019 12:57 AM

Wow wow wowThat is amazing! What a great find Joe. Congratulations!

Kawika 03-09-2019 11:06 AM

That is a beautiful assemblage of Cobb & Tigers items. What a run of good fortune! Thanks for sharing your find.

grandcards 03-09-2019 11:36 AM

Amazing find! If Payne, Siever or Downs happen to be among the commons and you have an interest in selling one, I'd be interested. Great cards!

CW 03-09-2019 12:19 PM

Very nice, congrats!

Your Cobb collection looks fantastic in that last photo.

Cards2121 03-12-2019 08:08 AM

Thank you everyone for the kind words. The card gods have sent some luck my way recently!

Leon 03-14-2019 07:57 AM

Why can't I go to garage sales like that? Fantastic pickups.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cards2121 (Post 1860968)
Hi guys, I just wanted to share a few of my finds from the last couple of months. Over the summer I went to a “city wide” garage sale. I came across a seller who had some old fish tobacco cards so I asked if he had any baseball cards. Turns out he used to be an antique dealer in the 80s and still had quite a few cards. We finally meet up In December and to my surprise he had a 1907 Wolverine News Cobb batting. We agreed on a price and I was ecstatic to acquire it. 2 weeks later I see an add for some old Tiger programs. Owner tells me he also had a stack of Wolverine postcards. Unfortunately he sold them already but put me in contact with the buyer. After about a month of negotiating I finally was able to acquire the stack which included another Cobb batting along with several team cards, a Crawford, Jennings, and 12 other commons! I recently got them graded, one Cobb came back a PSA 3 while the other SGC authentic (still not convinced its altered just has a funky cut on top). So in the 5 years I’ve been collecting I’ve never even seen a Wolverine news postcard and in 2 weeks I was lucky enough to buy 2 Cobbs! I figured the other Cobb postcard collectors might appreciate seeing these.

Baseballcrazy62 03-15-2019 06:56 AM

Very cool find. The stuff is still out there and we just have to find it.