Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   T206 Carolina Brights on Ebay (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=242116)

Leon 07-08-2017 07:27 PM

T206 Carolina Brights on Ebay

So what do you guys think of this auction?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/T206-Carolin...EAAOSwgv5ZXxJd

frankbmd 07-08-2017 07:46 PM

We need a Net54 forecaddie to retrieve the front scan or scans and post it in this thread.

If it is a desirable front and the seller starts getting bids he cannot explain, he will go crazy. This could be fun.

ronniehatesjazz 07-08-2017 09:03 PM

Looks like a bunch of chicanery to me. I hope it isn't though!

Sean 07-08-2017 09:29 PM

I can't believe that he can make as much selling the cards this way as he would just running a straight auction.

iowadoc77 07-08-2017 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronniehatesjazz (Post 1678932)
Looks like a bunch of chicanery to me. I hope it isn't though!

+1 and great use of chicanery!

ctownboy 07-08-2017 09:46 PM

Seems like a scam.

1) Seller knows that Carolina Brights is a rare back.

2) Seller knows there are Hall of Fame players.

3) Seller is from Ohio.

4) Seller only wants to do one or three day auctions (short enough that eBay can't or wont get involved to stop them if reported).

5) Seller will ONLY send you a scan of the front of the card IF you send him your want lists.

6) Cards are not graded (seems like a good investment to get them graded even if they do come back with an "A" grade).

Just my opinion,

David

I see the seller now has a Cycle 460 card listed using the same theme (scheme?) ....

mrdbrooks77 07-08-2017 11:31 PM

The Carolina brights is davy jones.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Jeffrompa 07-09-2017 01:04 AM

Never buy ...

A pig in a poke !

Leon 07-09-2017 05:53 AM

My sources tell me the seller is named Daniel Desmond. That might ring a bell for a few folks.....There was a reason for this thread.....

buymycards 07-09-2017 05:54 AM

Frank

Frank, is this one of your auctions? :)

frankbmd 07-09-2017 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buymycards (Post 1678979)
Frank, is this one of your auctions? :)

Rick, I consider that an insult.:eek:

garymc 07-09-2017 08:10 AM

Leon.....I contacted this man about if he had any NY Americans???? If he does should I be careful or not at all doing business. I'm retired and somewhat disabled from cancer and can't afford to be burned !!!!

Leon 07-09-2017 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garymc (Post 1679004)
Leon.....I contacted this man about if he had any NY Americans???? If he does should I be careful or not at all doing business. I'm retired and somewhat disabled from cancer and can't afford to be burned !!!!

In my opinion, under no circumstance whatsoever, should you do business with this person. I am careful what I say too. I hope I am clear and this helps.

I should add that I have been contacted by a long time member who says he has done transactions with this seller and knows others and those deals were ok. To all of this I say, buyer beware and the auction listed above is not a kosher one. One long time member, who originally emailed me, has a recent and very poor experience with these "backs".

Peter_Spaeth 07-09-2017 12:57 PM

Daniel Desmond, I think, is "Daniel Paul" who was profiled in the infamous VCBC #7 back in the 90s, if anyone is familiar with the reference.

Leon 07-10-2017 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1679074)
Daniel Desmond, I think, is "Daniel Paul" who was profiled in the infamous VCBC #7 back in the 90s, if anyone is familiar with the reference.

Received another PM this morning from another member who has recently done business with the seller. He said the seller definitely has some good pieces but ALSO tried to pawn off the bigger pieces which were rebacked pieces of crap. So it seems some cards are good and many are bad. I am not sure if there is a better definition of caveat emptor. What a douchebag.....

jlehma13 07-10-2017 11:17 AM

I bought one of his cards through a respected member here. The eBay seller had the card listed out of CA. It is a beater. Anything specifically I should be looking at to ensure the back is original to the card?

Leon 07-10-2017 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlehma13 (Post 1679340)
I bought one of his cards through a respected member here. The eBay seller had the card listed out of CA. It is a beater. Anything specifically I should be looking at to ensure the back is original to the card?

Some things are kind of obvious. Here is a recent sale he made in the link below. He uses some other excuse but is selling it as a CB.... I will let the T206 guys say what to look for specific to T206., but if it were me I would be looking at the edges very closely....and then things that just don't make sense, ie crease on back but not front (and not only a wrinkle), discolored paper on one side but not the other etc....The back of the one in the first listing above is kind of gross looking. I think if I received a card like that I would be suspect. Or one like this...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/T206-Carolin...p2047675.l2557

jlehma13 07-10-2017 11:39 AM

Ha, well that's my card! Here's the thread on it. http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=241313

Leon 07-10-2017 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlehma13 (Post 1679352)
Ha, well that's my card! Here's the thread on it. http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=241313

Yeap, that one was obviously good but suspect. The 2 emails and PMs I have received in the last 24 hours didn't have the same results. So it seems, some good and some bad.....I should add, how sure are you on the card you got that it is good, even after the removal?

Peter_Spaeth 07-10-2017 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1679305)
Received another PM this morning from another member who has recently done business with the seller. He said the seller definitely has some good pieces but ALSO tried to pawn off the bigger pieces which were rebacked pieces of crap. So it seems some cards are good and many are bad. I am not sure if there is a better definition of caveat emptor. What a douchebag.....

Either his skill level has fallen off, or detection is better, because in the day he (if it's the same person) was very proficient at getting altered/restored cards into holders.

Leon 07-10-2017 04:51 PM

Seems ebay didn't take kindly to his charades either. I think he and his lots went poof....unless I am missing something. And yes, it didn't escape me either that these were poor fakes (at least a few to a few people) and he is/was supposed to be very good at whatever craft it is he allegedly has.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1679388)
Either his skill level has fallen off, or detection is better, because in the day he (if it's the same person) was very proficient at getting altered/restored cards into holders.