Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Can someone confirm/clarify this? Pennsylvania buyer (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=262005)

mintacular 11-10-2018 06:13 PM

Can someone confirm/clarify this? Pennsylvania buyer

Seems like on Jan. 1st eBay will be collecting from me and 3 other states (can't remember the other ones) an additional 6% sales tax from any purchases on eBay I make, no matter what state I buy from via eBay/internet. Is this correct? I know maybe in theory this should have been happening but maybe the recent Supreme Court ruling firmed this up.

If so, I will have to curb my buying and I don't think it's fair that almost every other state does not require their buyers to pay this sales tax....., so am I just extra screwed cause I'm in PA (and the 3 or so other states)????

swarmee 11-10-2018 06:16 PM

Sounds like you have it right. Technically, you should have always been paying that "fair use" tax. States are starting to mandate it because nobody ever did.

glynparson 11-11-2018 05:25 AM

I am having difficulty seeing your point. You have been getting away with it for years so why are you complaining? You should have always been paying a use tax in Pennsylvania. Because you chose to violate the law and now you can’t you wish to complain? Don’t really see a valid argument from your end.

savedfrommyspokes 11-11-2018 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swarmee (Post 1826174)
Sounds like you have it right. Technically, you should have always been paying that "fair use" tax. States are starting to mandate it because nobody ever did.

If you are buying to re-sell, you are not obligated to pay any use taxes in your home state for items purchased out-of-state. Just like if you buy something to re-sell from within your home state, you can submit your tax ID/valid resale # to the seller to avoid paying the sales tax that the seller is obligated to charge on the in-state purchases.

Seems to me, most states (in response the Supreme Court's recent ruling) have created this "new" law because the existing use-tax law is too challenging to enforce.

JustinD 11-11-2018 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glynparson (Post 1826224)
I am having difficulty seeing your point. You have been getting away with it for years so why are you complaining? You should have always been paying a use tax in Pennsylvania. Because you chose to violate the law and now you can’t you wish to complain? Don’t really see a valid argument from your end.

As someone who has a wife and family from PA, I feel the use tax seems illegal as possible under logical reason. Yes it's a law, but not right and should be challenged by the voters. There simply is no difference in enforcing this or jackbooting the PA population into providing all receipts and records of money spent on any physical item while out of state and taxing that too. The only difference is this is mailed to you. Soon the states with "use tax" will be essentially double taxing residents as they will be paying sax tax in those home states that require it and then on their PA address. Those states without sales tax will certainly have advantages to buyers and future residents moving to avoid overtaxation.

mintacular 11-11-2018 09:57 AM

Not a tax attorney

I've only paid tax from PA dealers on eBay. I am not a tax attorney and don't feel like I have to keep receipts on every purchase I make online, cards or otherwise.

RedsFan1941 11-11-2018 10:19 AM

Quote:

don't look now but there are some kids on your front lawn

pokerplyr80 11-11-2018 01:58 PM

Quote:

I am having difficulty believing you don't see his point. Very few people pay this use tax. If I had to set one I'd put the over/under at 1 in 30. Enforcement of this law will put those of us in high sales tax states at quite a disadvantage when it comes to Ebay auctions.