Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Leon, just a suggestion. (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=223870)

Brian Van Horn 06-12-2016 02:06 PM

Leon, just a suggestion.

Leon,

Given the following paid advertisement in the discussion forum, why not just create a section for paid advertisements? It may be a little bit of overkill with the banner ads at the top of pages, but it will separate the paid advertisements and the discussion board.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=223792

Buythatcard 06-12-2016 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Van Horn (Post 1549750)
Leon,

Given the following paid advertisement in the discussion forum, why not just create a section for paid advertisements? It may be a little bit of overkill with the banner ads at the top of pages, but it will separate the paid advertisements and the discussion board.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=223792

I agree!

mechanicalman 06-12-2016 03:13 PM

That would be like creating a TV channel with just commercials. Who would watch it, and therefore, who would pay to be on it?

In my opinion, (and for disclosure, I'm a marketer by trade), advertising is pervasive, but I feel like it's done in taste and moderation on this site.

botn 06-12-2016 03:19 PM

I can see the people's point about it not being appropriate as a thread but I think Leon has done a good job keeping them to a minimum. Everyone seems to generate enough threads of interest that are not ads that ignoring one that is should be pretty easy.

On the other hand if every banner advertiser were posting ad threads weekly it might be too much. As it is the Plank ad thread, in theory, was no more intrusive than the auction opening or closing threads.

Hankphenom 06-12-2016 03:26 PM

Why not in the B/S/T? That's where commerce is taking place. The forum should be for discussion only, IMO.

4815162342 06-12-2016 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mechanicalman (Post 1549777)
That would be like creating a TV channel with just commercials. Who would watch it, and therefore, who would pay to be on it?

In my opinion, (and for disclosure, I'm a marketer by trade), advertising is pervasive, but I feel like it's done in taste and moderation on this site.

+1

botn 06-12-2016 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hankphenom (Post 1549780)
Why not in the B/S/T? That's where commerce is taking place. The forum should be for discussion only, IMO.

Discussions take place on BST threads and as I noted commerce takes place on the main board in threads announcing auction openings and closings.

xplainer 06-12-2016 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hankphenom (Post 1549780)

Yeah, but which BST thread? That area has several divisions.
That post we are talking about applies to all vintage.

On the other hand, while Leon does listen to his citizens, it is his house we play in.

I would like for this to be discussion only too, but whatever LL wants is good with me.

ALR-bishop 06-12-2016 04:03 PM

Threads

I generally find it easy to avoid threads that do not interest me wherever they are, but that particular "advertising" thread has become pretty interesting :)

Billy5858 06-12-2016 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALR-bishop (Post 1549812)
I generally find it easy to avoid threads that do not interest me wherever they are, but that particular "advertising" thread has become pretty interesting :)

Yeah ...... I'm new here and I learned
some of the ins and outs with this post.
If it was posted in an ad section I would
Have ignored it....

Rich Klein 06-12-2016 05:39 PM

Leighton and Scott are friends of mine so I'm a bit prejudiced. Plus, I had done some writing for them / That all in the spirit of full disclosure

Having said that, anytime an important card such as the Plank is brought into the hobby and the people do advertise on Net 54 -- then a little more leeway can be allowed. I found nothing wrong with that, nor if Al C had written a PR for his San Antonio find and posted that one, it would have been fine as well.

So, good idea but I can also ask about why the OP posts seemingly 3-4x a week complaining about EBay listings. The finding of a Plank is by far more important

Regards
Rich

brianp-beme 06-12-2016 05:57 PM

Just like in newspapers

Perhaps just a message at the top of the original post indicating that it is a paid advertising post would suffice. I know a message of this sort is now displayed at the bottom of the post in question, but I think in the future it should be noted at top where it would be most visible.

Just like they handle it in newspapers.

Brian

ullmandds 06-12-2016 06:26 PM

The board is tending towards chaos! Modern regularly on the vintage board...sales threads on the main board...threads have become more like tweets.

I guess im just happy there are no popups yet!

Peter_Spaeth 06-12-2016 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1549863)
The board is tending towards chaos! Modern regularly on the vintage board...sales threads on the main board...threads have become more like tweets.

I guess im just happy there are no popups yet!

The sky is falling!!!

ullmandds 06-12-2016 06:49 PM

cats and dogs...sleeping together!

brianp-beme 06-12-2016 06:57 PM

Nappy sleep

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1549877)

they are more likely just napping together.

Brian

margoaepi 06-12-2016 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1549877)

"Tell him about the twinkie Ray"

Exhibitman 06-12-2016 07:07 PM

A find like that is news. It belongs in the main forum.

yanksfan09 06-12-2016 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by margoaepi (Post 1549892)
"Tell him about the twinkie Ray"

What about the twinkie?

pariah1107 06-12-2016 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yanksfan09 (Post 1549916)
What about the twinkie?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzaQjS1JstY

Let's hope the EPA doesn't get involved...

Jeffrompa 06-12-2016 11:04 PM

If I found a Plank I might want my own thread too . Might .

Joshchisox08 06-13-2016 09:31 AM

Am I missing something here ............... Why does it really matter if there's one or two threads that have an advertisement in them?

I think that most would find them helpful.......Sterling Auction opening this Friday etc.....

I just don't see the big deal.

Mdmtx 06-13-2016 09:47 AM

Maybe everyone would rather pay a subscription to keep the site alive? The revenue that is created allows the site to operate. Does this thread belong on the front page if splitting hairs? What is the big problem to all of you that like to complain? How is a post or 2 wrecking your day? Lots of people with problems, but not grounded in reality. Cash makes the world go round. Including this site. So keep pissing the advertisers off, relegate them to a corner and see how long the site can exist as a free venue.

Mark Medlin

the-illini 06-13-2016 10:09 AM

Leon does a great job here but to be fair, the site ran for years prior to the inclusion of banner ads and other forms of paid advertisements.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mdmtx (Post 1550079)
Maybe everyone would rather pay a subscription to keep the site alive? The revenue that is created allows the site to operate. Does this thread belong on the front page if splitting hairs? What is the big problem to all of you that like to complain? How is a post or 2 wrecking your day? Lots of people with problems, but not grounded in reality. Cash makes the world go round. Including this site. So keep pissing the advertisers off, relegate them to a corner and see how long the site can exist as a free venue.

Mark Medlin

Mdmtx 06-13-2016 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the-illini (Post 1550089)
Leon does a great job here but to be fair, the site ran for years prior to the inclusion of banner ads and other forms of paid advertisements.

And for years you could buy a new house for 5000 and a 52 Mantle for a nickel. Times change.

Bpm0014 06-13-2016 10:15 AM

Mark Medlin

Very, very, very well spoken. I wish people would stop whining so much. I'm glad the site is free, and that advertisers help pay for the cost.

4815162342 06-13-2016 12:32 PM

Other message boards I visit have popup ads, ad posts within normal threads (imagine a post that says "This portion of the Monster Number thread is brought to you by ACME Auctions."), etc. The advertising on Net54 is very small and very unobtrusive.

wolf441 06-13-2016 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4815162342 (Post 1550143)
Other message boards I visit have popup ads, ad posts within normal threads (imagine a post that says "This portion of the Monster Number thread is brought to you by ACME Auctions."), etc. The advertising on Net54 is very small and very unobtrusive.

Now you're on to something Daryl!!!

Frank, you NEED to contact the Monster Energy drink guys!! :D

"What's your Monster Number?"

"It's 520, thanks to Monster Energy, which gave me the strength to stay up for all those late night auctions!!! MMMM MMMM good" :D

glynparson 06-13-2016 03:18 PM

The plank story belonged on main page

The Plank story belonged on main page, however the buy ad attached to it did not in my honest opinion.