Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Hockey, Olympic, Auto Racing And All Other Cards (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   My Bobby Orr "Stuff" (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=244589)

kid4hof03 09-17-2017 07:20 PM

Incredible collection!

jb67 09-18-2017 12:14 PM

Wow!!!! Well done.

scottzoe 09-18-2017 01:06 PM

Great collection, Orr was my first sports hero and still one of my favorites!

Scott

jb217676 12-11-2017 10:37 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Got a couple more cool Orr pieces...

First is a 1970's Bobby Orr Promotional Card that I've never seen before. While it appears to be the same shot of Bobby used in the Rally campaign, the key difference is that this card is black & white (versus the more popular colour version) & the dimensions are smaller (5" x 7" vs. 6" x 9"). This version also has a blank back (the colour version features a printed promo call out for Rally Sports). Sweet!

Also grabbed this 1976 OPC Orr card with a crazy print defect that gives the appearance of flames on his jersey. I love the weird stuff!

irv 12-12-2017 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb217676 (Post 1728738)

First is a 1970's Bobby Orr Promotional Card that I've never seen before. While it appears to be the same shot of Bobby used in the Rally campaign, the key difference is that this card is black & white (versus the more popular colour version) & the dimensions are smaller (5" x 7" vs. 7" x 9"). This version also has a blank back (the colour version features a printed promo call out for Rally Sports). Sweet!

Also grabbed this 1976 OPC Orr card with a crazy print defect that gives the appearance of flames on his jersey. I love the weird stuff!

Very nice, Jeff! :)

samosa4u 12-13-2017 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampsfan (Post 1701336)
From what I recall, when the Bruins wouldn't commit to Orr, Chicago stepped up with a $500,000 per year offer, which may have been the largest annual contract at the time.

No, that's not what happened. The Bruins were willing to commit to Orr; they were even willing to offer him a percentage of the team, but Alan Eagleson, who represented him and was trusted a lot by the family, told Orr that they were not and to just sign with Chicago. Eagleson actually had friends within the Blackhawks organization, so he wanted to do them a favor by giving them Orr. He was a real POS who took advantage of many people.

Peter_Spaeth 12-13-2017 12:20 PM

Talk about a short career, he was basically through at 26, in a sport where many of the greats last until their early 40s.

Stampsfan 12-13-2017 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb217676 (Post 1728738)

I hear Orr cards are on fire right now...

TUM301 12-17-2017 08:28 AM

Robert Gordon !!!

Awesome collection of the greatest of all time. Being a New England guy and a Boston sports fan for 50+ years, feel pretty comfortable in saying Orr was the most beloved Boston athlete ever. Ice arenas were built all over N England as a direct result of Orr and the "Big Bad Bruins". Bird, Big Papi and now Tom Brady have all come and electrified the fans and rekindled and increased new fan interest, but they`ll never be another Bobby Orr. Back in the day, "old man alert', you had to actually work to follow the team, late night west coast radio games, channel 38 etc etc as opposed to I phones/red zone channel and 24 hour network T V. Bright candles burn quicker and Bobby was THE brightest. As much as sports titan he always remained humble, accessible and ever the gentleman. To add on to the Eagleson comment, I think I read were Derrick Sanderson, wow the Turk, once asked Bobby why he didn`t take the B`s offer for a % of the team. Orr replied "he(Eagleson) never told me about it".

irv 12-17-2017 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TUM301 (Post 1730235)
Awesome collection of the greatest of all time. Being a New England guy and a Boston sports fan for 50+ years, feel pretty comfortable in saying Orr was the most beloved Boston athlete ever. Ice arenas were built all over N England as a direct result of Orr and the "Big Bad Bruins". Bird, Big Papi and now Tom Brady have all come and electrified the fans and rekindled and increased new fan interest, but they`ll never be another Bobby Orr. Back in the day, "old man alert', you had to actually work to follow the team, late night west coast radio games, channel 38 etc etc as opposed to I phones/red zone channel and 24 hour network T V. Bright candles burn quicker and Bobby was THE brightest. As much as sports titan he always remained humble, accessible and ever the gentleman. To add on to the Eagleson comment, I think I read were Derrick Sanderson, wow the Turk, once asked Bobby why he didn`t take the B`s offer for a % of the team. Orr replied "he(Eagleson) never told me about it".

I know Eagleson ripped off/cheated Orr out of millions but does anyone know if Bobby Orr has ever recovered financially, somewhat, from all that?

I know he likely isn't hurting for money, at least I hope not, but does anyone know if he has recovered from all that and can now call himself a millionaire?

Edit: Found my answer, which I guess I should have just done myself before asking. :o
https://www.thefamouspeople.com/prof...on-orr-901.php