Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Trivia question (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=82870)

Archive 11-11-2006 06:29 PM

Trivia question

Posted By: <b>Julie Vognar</b><p>(end of a dream and a story)<br /><br />Where is this? Before when?<br /><br /><br />And way out, behind the deep centerfield fence, the huge magnolia tree was back, its dark green leaves blowing in the gusty wind, even the lesser branches stirring restlessly, its big white blossoms glowing in the setting sun.

Archive 11-11-2006 06:47 PM

Trivia question

Posted By: <b>jackgoodman</b><p>Is this in the town of Mudville?

Archive 11-11-2006 06:48 PM

Trivia question

Posted By: <b>john/z28jd</b><p>Where is this? Before when?<br /> I say its in the courtyard at the nursing home and right before the medication kicked in. Am i right?

Archive 11-11-2006 06:50 PM

Trivia question

Posted By: <b>Kevin Cummings</b><p>Geez, Julie - that's way too hard.<br /><br />Here's an easier one:<br /><br />One of 19th-century baseball's outstanding pitchers, having his best years before the mound was moved from 50' away from home plate to 60'6" in 1893. He won 30 or more games in four seasons, more than 20 in three others; he was also a seven-time 20-game loser.

Archive 11-11-2006 06:54 PM

Trivia question

Posted By: <b>steve f</b><p>A nice, old short story about a tree in the field of play. I believe it was Savannah or Augusta at a minors' park. Shoeless Joe or Cobb once played there as amateurs... Magnolias are so beautiful, they didn't want to chop it down? <br /><br />I once went looking for Joe's old ball park (Municipal Stadium I believe) on Henry St. Savannah but returned empty handed. None of the many locals asked knew of such a park either.<br /><br />Cool topic Julie

Archive 11-11-2006 07:03 PM

Trivia question

Posted By: <b>George</b><p>Ponce De Leon Park in Atlanta, Georgia, was famous for its huge magnolia tree in right center field. The park was torn down (I think in the 1960's), but the magnolia tree is still thriving. I am not sure that this is the magnolia tree referred to in the quotation, but it might be. What is the source of the quotation?<br /><br />

Archive 11-11-2006 07:04 PM

Trivia question

Posted By: <b>DJ</b><p>I won't even try and tackle what Julie is saying.<br /><br />But I have the trivia question: Gus Weyhing.<br /><br />DJ

Archive 11-11-2006 07:52 PM

Trivia question

Posted By: <b>Gilbert Maines</b><p>No one could answer this question, there is not enuff to go on.<br /><br />Come on Joann, you want to play in this league, beat this answer:<br /><br />1923 Spiller's field 462' to the magnolia tree CF.<br /><br /><br />Edited to add: it is probably a 19th century ballpark.

Archive 11-11-2006 08:03 PM

Trivia question

Posted By: <b>Dave</b><p>Ponce de Leon Park

Archive 11-11-2006 08:50 PM

Trivia question

Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>How come no one names their kid Ponce anymore?<br /><br />Jay<br><br>I love pinatas. You get to beat the crap of something and get rewarded with candy.

Archive 11-11-2006 09:03 PM

Trivia question

Posted By: <b>Frank Wakefield</b><p>His first name was Juan. Juan Ponce de Leon. And he's buried in San Juan, PR. Folks do name kids Juan. And magnolia trees live a long time in the south. I now live in a house my Grandfather built in 1930, there's a magnolia tree in it still. I used to climb in it as a kid, I called it a hand grenade tree. Tree was there long before me. And has a good chance of outliving me.<br /><br />That is tough trivia, not just trivia, Julie.

Archive 11-11-2006 09:42 PM

Trivia question

Posted By: <b>Julie Vognar</b><p>The huge magnolia tree in Ponce de Leon Ball Park, home of the Atlanta Crackers stood just beyond the deepest part of the centerfield fence, (462 feet). The park, and the Crackers (I think) lasted till 1965. The original field was called Ponce dce Leon, then when it was rebuilt after the fire, it waqs changed to Spiller's, then back to Ponce de L3eon.<br /><br /><br /><br />"scent of magnolia"...yes, a beautiful tree...<br /><br />Frank: why did you call it the :"hand grenade" tree"?<br />Oh, because of the hand-grenade shaped seed pods. yes, sir.

Archive 11-12-2006 03:08 PM

Trivia question

Posted By: <b>warshawlaw</b><p>Perhaps because ponce is an English slang term for pimp

Archive 11-12-2006 03:12 PM

Trivia question

Posted By: <b>Julie Vognar</b><p>I am the source of the quotation. If you read the story, you would string me up from one. No joke.<br />Frank:<br />A website on "Google" said the tree was beyond the deepest part centerfield...if you sre right...I got some big chages to make. That's 462 feet (!)<br />RJSpiller@AtlantaCracker.com<br /><br />Oh yes, he says the tree is STILL standing...