Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Old Judge Pose year runs (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=167280)

bn2cardz 04-17-2013 08:32 AM

Old Judge Pose year runs

I was wondering if anyone has collected entire runs for any poses from the Old Judge set? I was recently looking through online images of certain Old Judge Pose I just picked up and thought it would be a fun to get each of the cards. I own the 1889 variation, but see that it was a pose that has a short number, 0 number, and Gypsy Queen variations. I am sure there is a 1888 variation even though I didn't find the image of it.

Does anyone have scans of a year/variation run of any one Old Judge pose that they could post?

Cardboard Junkie 04-17-2013 10:35 AM

As a long time collector who is just now starting to appreciate OJs I would be very interested in seeing "pose runs" too. :) Dave.

z28jd 04-17-2013 10:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are all six variations for Larry Corcoran, three for each pose he has in the set. Sorry the scan sucks, it's from about eight years ago, someday I'll update it

bn2cardz 04-17-2013 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by z28jd (Post 1118850)
Here are all six variations for Larry Corcoran, three for each pose he has in the set. Sorry the scan sucks, it's from about eight years ago, someday I'll update it

I was curious why there wasn't an 89 pose, but by looking at Baseball Reference I see his last game was in 87, so I am surprised he even made it into the 88 series. Are you planning on obtaining the Gypsy Queen variation?

z28jd 04-17-2013 12:34 PM

He was in the minors in 1888, those year cards he is shown as being with London. He also played briefly with teams from New Orleans and in the California League around that same time, before becoming an umpire. So he was still around baseball through the production of the OJ set

I've never bid on a GQ card of anyone, not a huge fan of paying extra for a smaller picture of the same card.

bn2cardz 04-17-2013 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by z28jd (Post 1118903)
I've never bid on a GQ card of anyone, not a huge fan of paying extra for a smaller picture of the same card.

Understandable.

z28jd 04-17-2013 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bn2cardz (Post 1118907)
Understandable.

Though I should say that I would pay extra for a Brooklyn mini card because I collect N172's. I guess that is a better reason to say why I don't bother with GQ cards, I can get the same cards cheaper in the set I collect

bn2cardz 04-18-2013 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by z28jd (Post 1118918)
Though I should say that I would pay extra for a Brooklyn mini card because I collect N172's. I guess that is a better reason to say why I don't bother with GQ cards, I can get the same cards cheaper in the set I collect

What are you N172 collecting goals? Do you just want as many as you can get?

I have found that I am a type collector at heart as I seem to want one of each type of card. That is where the idea for a run of a certain pose came from I suspect.

z28jd 04-18-2013 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bn2cardz (Post 1119428)
What are you N172 collecting goals? Do you just want as many as you can get?

I have found that I am a type collector at heart as I seem to want one of each type of card. That is where the idea for a run of a certain pose came from I suspect.

Just as many different players as I can get, and as many teams as possible too. I have players from 48 different teams if my count is right