Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   1964 Topps Thickness & Color Variation (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=141578)

xdrx 09-10-2011 09:02 PM

1964 Topps Thickness & Color Variation

I recently sold a 64 Brock on ebay. Received a note from the buyer yesterday saying that he was returning card because of thickness of paper. I responded asking if he was saying card is not authentic. His response was that he was not contending that, but that there is a variant of 1964 cards. Thicker paper and lighter print and thinner paper and darker print. He only collects the thicker variant.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Kind of annoying that card is being returned for no issue. Seems like something to work out ahead of time, but I tend not to fight these kinds of things on ebay. Buyer is almost always right.

steve B 09-11-2011 06:49 AM

I've never heard of that before, but it's possible. I'll have to check the few I have.

Even if it's not, you've got a great story about the most creative Ebay excuse yet.

Steve B

ALR-bishop 09-11-2011 07:52 AM

I have the set and most of my cards I bought from the Card Collectors Company in NY in full series groups back in 1964. Over time I have added variations and upgrades. I was not aware of this distinction and would be interested in anyone else can confirm

doug.goodman 09-11-2011 01:15 PM

I put a raw set together a few years ago and never noticed any thickness differences. I'm too lazy to go check it again, especially since it would be virtually impossible for me to find the cards I would "need" if there actually is a variation of this type.

I don't really want to know.

Doug

ALR-bishop 09-11-2011 05:03 PM

I am going to check my set and dupes cards. I hope I find something, just to give Doug some aggravation :)

k-dog 09-11-2011 05:27 PM

Tell him to soak it in a bowl of water for a few days and then let it dry! It will probably be a little thicker after that!! :D

doug.goodman 09-11-2011 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALR-bishop (Post 924507)
... just to give Doug some aggravation :)

Thank you, Al

Insert smiley face here.

Doug

Gr8Beldini 09-12-2011 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k-dog (Post 924514)
Tell him to soak it in a bowl of water for a few days and then let it dry! It will probably be a little thicker after that!! :D

or have them laminated.

brob28 09-12-2011 01:56 PM

Honestly, that sounds like a load of crap from someone trying to pull a scam. If he was collecting this rare variant, why not ask for more scans or at least ask you about it prior to bidding. I have collected some master sets with variations and always ask on a specific card prior to bidding. Sometime the sellers have no clue, but it's worth it to avoid the hassle of returning a card and all the jazz that goes along with it.

Make sure to examine the returned card extensively.

xdrx 09-12-2011 02:28 PM

Just for the heck of it, here are the messages I've rec'd from this buyer:

His first message stated he wanted to return card because of thickness. I replied asking if he was saying the card was not authentic. He replied with this:

Quote:

Hello Dean, Appreciate the communication. My knowledge of collectable cards is EXTREMELY limited. 1964 Topps baseball is it. There is no questioning the authenticity of your card, just an unexpected knowledge I became aware of a while back. There seems to be two printings w/in this series, noticed w/a consistent connection w/darker print & thinner milling of paper, & lighter print & thicker milling of paper, the latter is what I collect (not sell). Hope this helps,
I responded back saying it would have been nice to understand his requirements ahead of time, to which he replied:

Quote:

Hi Dean, Just wanted to share an addition bit of knowledge. To even consider a purchase of this type of product on line, the photo is the ONLY criteria. The color BEHIND the team at top of card will instantly show this FACTUAL difference (i.e. the green behind the Cardinals, the mustard behind the Giants, the blue behind the Dodgers, etc.) Being there is NO COLOR behind the Chicago Cubs team, I had no problem taking a chance w/your great ebay record. Sorry for any inconvenience, at least you now have the correct perspective, & no longer have to incorporate any INACCURATE ASSUMPTIONS!! Good Luck & take care,

Really not sure what to think...

GasHouseGang 09-12-2011 02:43 PM

Just be sure you get back the same card you sold him. Sounds like a flake. :rolleyes:

k-dog 09-12-2011 02:50 PM

WHAT????? LOL! :confused: I have no clue what "Behind" means in this case? AND...aren't the Dodger's cards red?

brob28 09-12-2011 06:16 PM

I think this buyer is full of it, examine the returned card very closely and block him from bidding on your future auctions. Mind sharing his ebay id?

doug.goodman 09-12-2011 07:09 PM

I collect variations (although not nearly as many as Al), and whenever I'm "taking a chance w/your great ebay record" I consider it a gamble, and I keep the card whether I get the variation I'm looking for or not.

To me,that is the right thing to do. The only time I return a card is if it's not "as advertised" and if it cost me enough to be worth the bother.

Doug

xdrx 09-12-2011 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brob28 (Post 924763)
I think this buyer is full of it, examine the returned card very closely and block him from bidding on your future auctions. Mind sharing his ebay id?

cmcc2826

He's got a bunch of good, recent feedback, from buying 1964 Topps. I didn't look at everything he's purchased, but many seem to be in better condition than the card he purchased from me. I'm thinking maybe he just decided the condition wasn't good enough, but that would be an easy and valid reason for a return. No need to get creative.

Here's the card I sold him, fwiw:

http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/z...gs/64brock.jpg

David W 09-13-2011 08:32 AM

Maybe he blundered into some Venezuelan cards???????

steve B 09-13-2011 11:56 AM

Well I'll be! I think he's right.

I had a quick look at my 64s and found a few things.

I've known about different cardboard, one is a bit whiter than the other.

I'm pretty surprised he found what he did, but I guess if all you do is 64s....

Anyway, measuing with some digital calipers I get cardboard thichness from .040 to .047 of an inch. And it does seem as if the thicker ones are slightly lighter.

Also, the team names are printed differently.
Some are one solid color, like the Cubs
Some are two colors combined.
The ones with two colors come three ways.
solid color over solid color
screened as a mesh - think window screen
Screened as a series of dots.

I don't have enough 64s, and only a handful of duplicates so I don't know yet if any of the cards come two different ways. But I do know the same team can be screened differently.

Looking for the duplicates, scans to follow if I find anything interesting in them.
(scans eventually either way)

Steve B

ALR-bishop 09-13-2011 02:27 PM

I have the set and a lot of dupes but so far all I have done is look at my variations for card 4, AL Pitching Leaders ( apostrophe or not) and 517, CL 7 ( different #s on backs), and found no differences there

U240robert 09-13-2011 08:37 PM

I'm nearly done with the '64 Topps set and I've never heard this one before. What a quirky way to collect.

Kevvyg1026 12-01-2022 01:13 AM

Fake 64s

I purchased a 64 mantle on ebay about 6 years ago and sent the card in for grading. The card was returned with a note saying the card was a fake, i.e., not authentic, and could not be graded. So yes, there are fake 64s.

bobsbbcards 12-01-2022 06:10 AM

I'm surprised he didn't return the Brock because of the photobucket overprinting. That would certainly have been a deal killer for me. :rolleyes:

ALR-bishop 12-01-2022 07:58 AM

It’s the Photobucket Variation, Bob. You need one

JWBlue 12-01-2022 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevvyg1026 (Post 2288941)
I purchased a 64 mantle on ebay about 6 years ago and sent the card in for grading. The card was returned with a note saying the card was a fake, i.e., not authentic, and could not be graded. So yes, there are fake 64s.

Is this stock noticeably thinner than other 1964 cards?