Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   New SGC slabs & more... (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=255830)

bswhiten 06-02-2018 01:44 PM

New SGC slabs & more...

https://ogkcreative.com/work/sgc/

https://www.sgccard.com/index.aspx

Digital grading???
Not sure what they mean about “imprinting”?

“We used scanned video effects to demonstrate how a baseball card would be analyzed, imprinted, stored and maintained in the SGC achieve system.”

pawpawdiv9 06-02-2018 02:32 PM

I knew it!!!
More color labels :eek::eek:
@ Leon: When do we get Net54 hoodies?

CobbSpikedMe 06-02-2018 02:34 PM

Those new labels are horrendous. I hope they aren't really going there.

swarmee 06-02-2018 02:56 PM

Wow, that's a really expensive way to jump the shark.

Maxjacks 06-02-2018 03:01 PM

I encourage everyone to read the entire page. I think a lot of people reading this are getting caught up on the cosmetic changes but there are a ton of potentially exciting changes and innovations.

canjond 06-02-2018 03:14 PM

Ive read the whole page and I’m personally not a fan of the changes or the redesign, but hopefully I’m in the minority and the changes work out for them.

whitehse 06-02-2018 03:20 PM

I am not hung up on the labels and the cosmetic changes as others may be. What excites me, if I am reading this correctly is that they are digitally scanning all graded cards and will have that available on their database? Did I read more into the digital scanning portion or am I just assuming that is what is going to happen.

I think this change will be good for them and hopefully give PSA a run for their (and our) money. I am looking forward to seeing what happens here.

mantlefan 06-02-2018 03:29 PM

Really?

Wow. This is funny. You couldn't make this stuff up if you tried.

So we are now told that SGC is finally going to fix "The Problem"

"In the 150 years since the first baseball card was produced, no company had ever developed a trusted brand platform across the various age collectors. The world of card selling, buying and trading was filled with rip-off artists and fraudulent business men taking advantage of a lack of technology and proven auditing systems."

Fact 1: 15 years ago I was sold $10,000 worth of altered, re-glossed, trimmed, re-colored baseball cards by Gary Moser and Dave Forman. I discovered that when I sent the cards to PSA for grading. PSA clearly delineated the doctoring that was performed on each card.

Fact 2: I never got a penny back from either of these men, although Mr. Forman has tried to apologize to me for years for his actions. My attempts to get justice from the United States Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of New York and from the FBI were unsuccessful due to the priorities (quite rightfully) of the Post-911 environment here in NY City.

Fact 3: Dave Forman is the owner of SGC.

Talk about the inmates running the asylum....

swarmee 06-02-2018 03:34 PM

I also took umbrage with their talk about being the first registry, but maybe they were talking about 20+ years ago. About the same time they last updated their registry software... mentioning how good it is takes a bunch of gumption.

Imprinting also sounds like they're going to intentionally damage/mark cards. The whole S_____ G_________ C______ thing is just ridiculous. How much money did this take, and where did it come from?

Jason 06-02-2018 05:05 PM

Links are gone did anyone save a screenshot of the new holders?

bswhiten 06-02-2018 05:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason (Post 1783011)
Links are gone did anyone save a screenshot of the new holders?

Here you go...

Peter_Spaeth 06-02-2018 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mantlefan (Post 1782997)
Wow. This is funny. You couldn't make this stuff up if you tried.

So we are now told that SGC is finally going to fix "The Problem"

"In the 150 years since the first baseball card was produced, no company had ever developed a trusted brand platform across the various age collectors. The world of card selling, buying and trading was filled with rip-off artists and fraudulent business men taking advantage of a lack of technology and proven auditing systems."

Fact 1: 15 years ago I was sold $10,000 worth of altered, re-glossed, trimmed, re-colored baseball cards by Gary Moser and Dave Forman. I discovered that when I sent the cards to PSA for grading. PSA clearly delineated the doctoring that was performed on each card.

Fact 2: I never got a penny back from either of these men, although Mr. Forman has tried to apologize to me for years for his actions. My attempts to get justice from the United States Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of New York and from the FBI were unsuccessful due to the priorities (quite rightfully) of the Post-911 environment here in NY City.

Fact 3: Dave Forman is the owner of SGC.

Talk about the inmates running the asylum....

Hopefully their shipping charges were reasonable. If they weren't, people might care.

Peter_Spaeth 06-02-2018 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bswhiten (Post 1783014)
Here you go...

Like everything else, people will resist the change but soon become used to it.

Neal 06-02-2018 05:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 318270

aconte 06-02-2018 06:13 PM

Fonz is looking good. Better than the new SGC holders.

Jason 06-02-2018 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bswhiten (Post 1783014)
here you go...

eek:D

griffon512 06-02-2018 06:20 PM

the graded numbers are much too large

takes away from the focus on the card

swarmee 06-02-2018 06:26 PM

So is this the end of the 100 point scale?

felada 06-02-2018 06:37 PM

After years of only sending cards to sgc I think it’s time to start using psa.

Peter_Spaeth 06-02-2018 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by griffon512 (Post 1783035)
takes away from the focus on the card

Does anyone care about cards? It's all about the FLIP. :)

Maxjacks 06-02-2018 06:43 PM

I think it is important to note that this announcement was not supposed to happen yet so who knows if that is even the final version of the holder

Edit to clarify that I don't mind them. But I wanted to say that all of the info coming out now should be taken with grain of salt because this was not an official announcement.

CobbSpikedMe 06-02-2018 06:44 PM

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who thinks the new flips are horrible. I really hope they reconsider this one.

CobbSpikedMe 06-02-2018 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1783041)
Does anyone care about cards? It's all about the FLIP. :)

James is right though. When the flip is that ugly it takes away from the card in the slab. The two need to go well together.

calvindog 06-02-2018 06:47 PM

Uh they're scanning each card that's graded and the scan will be available online to anyone who might be purchasing said card later. Granted it's not as important as orange packing tape but it's close.

Peter_Spaeth 06-02-2018 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CobbSpikedMe (Post 1783046)
James is right though. When the flip is that ugly it takes away from the card in the slab. The two need to go well together.

Anything new looks foreign at first. I still think people's eyes will adjust.

Peter_Spaeth 06-02-2018 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calvindog (Post 1783048)
Uh they're scanning each card that's graded and the scan will be available online to anyone who might be purchasing said card later. Granted it's not as important as orange packing tape but it's close.

If they really want to make a move on PSA they need to offer free shipping IMO. :cool: Free shipping is the way to hearts and minds.

A2000 06-02-2018 06:55 PM

Buy the holder, not the card. :)

CobbSpikedMe 06-02-2018 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1783049)
Anything new looks foreign at first. I still think people's eyes will adjust.

I hope you're right Peter, for SGC's sake.

griffon512 06-02-2018 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1783052)
If they really want to make a move on PSA they need to offer free shipping IMO. :cool: Free shipping is the way to hearts and minds.

:) Exactly! Charge more for the grading fee, but as long as shipping is free everything else is irrelevant!

Peter_Spaeth 06-02-2018 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by griffon512 (Post 1783057)
:) Exactly! Charge more for the grading fee, but as long as shipping is free everything else is irrelevant!

James, exactly. This is the biggest issue facing the hobby today, at least on this forum. Nothing sparks interest like a thread on shipping charges.

griffon512 06-02-2018 07:29 PM

Business Idea: Purple Label + Free Shipping = Hobby Gold

Peter, if the purple label company would offer free shipping I think we both could agree it would be a game changer in the hobby!

I would accept any cost for a purple sticker as long as the damn shipping is free!

bswhiten 06-03-2018 08:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I captured the site before they pulled it...Support Giant Card :)

calvindog 06-03-2018 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mantlefan (Post 1782997)
Wow. This is funny.

Frank, which agent did you speak to? And which proseoctor? It is a well known fact as you noted that the FBI and EDNY stopped investigating and prosecuting all fraud cases in the aftermath of 9/11 for a few years due to the need to shift all assets to counterterrorism. Caused havoc with my business as there was not a plethora of terrorism cases to go around and I was stuck waiting for things to get back to normal.

frankbmd 06-03-2018 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1783052)

Doesn’t SGC Prime already offer free shipping?:eek:

samosa4u 06-03-2018 11:07 AM

I have always liked the old label. Why did they have to change it? :(

If it ain't broke, don't fix it

http://s210975194.onlinehome.us/auct...em_22081_1.jpg

irv 06-03-2018 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samosa4u (Post 1783203)
I have always liked the old label. Why did they have to change it? :(

If it ain't broke, don't fix it

It's like anything, changes/updates need to be made in order to stay in the mainstream/modern, plus, once these catch on, and they will, think of all the peeps with old(er) slabs that will now want their cards in the newer updated ones. $$$ :D

Smart move, imo.

Johnny630 06-03-2018 12:05 PM

These new labels look awful. Who is ownership of this company?

KMayUSA6060 06-03-2018 01:06 PM

The label is overshadowing the biggest and most promising change to SGC: their scanned registry.

whitehse 06-03-2018 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMayUSA6060 (Post 1783248)
The label is overshadowing the biggest and most promising change to SGC: their scanned registry.

I cant agree more. I am not a fan of the label and it sounds like most are not but the scanned registry is an awesome idea.

pkaufman 06-03-2018 04:59 PM

I have no big problem with the label, as long as they are going to the 1-10 grading scale, which I feel is long overdue. Their Set Registry still needs to be more user friendly for them to move forward and to try to compete with PSA.

T205 GB 06-04-2018 06:21 AM

:eek: SGC!! Can't come up with anything original.

To bad I can't sue you assholes for stealing part of my business model and original idea! Actually you blatantly are ripping off my business model that has been discussed not only with SGC employees but members here on this board. Have your lawyer contact me!

Just want to make sure you have all my correct and current info. This is not a joke and I am not taking this matter lightly and neither should SGC.

Andrew W@@dfin
500F 25 Ave NW
Austin MN 55912
507-six9six-15four9

RedsFan1941 06-04-2018 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T205 GB (Post 1783459)

To bad I can't sue you assholes for stealing part of my business model and original idea! Actually you blatantly are ripping off my business model that has been discussed not only with SGC employees but members here on this board. Have your lawyer contact me!

Just want to make sure you have all my correct and current info. This is not a joke and I am not taking this matter lightly and neither should SGC.

Andrew W@@dfin
500F 25 Ave NW
Austin MN 55912
507-six9six-15four9

sgc, have your lawyer contact me too. i have a problem with some of those Beatles lyrics.

T205 GB 06-04-2018 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedsFan1941 (Post 1783476)
sgc, have your lawyer contact me too. i have a problem with some of those Beatles lyrics.

I know you think this is funny and it may be to some but it is not to me. I have been working and scraping by for way to long on this.

bn2cardz 06-04-2018 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T205 GB (Post 1783459)

Andrew W@@dfin
500F 25 Ave NW
Austin MN 55912
507-six9six-15four9

I will say that as I read through the page I kept thinking "This sounds just like what Andrew is trying to do". I do think the idea of scanning technology doing the grading has been around for a while. You were just the only one I heard saying they were going to do something about it.

RedsFan1941 06-04-2018 09:14 AM

if I had what I thought was a million dollar idea, I would not post about it on a public chat board. and i wouldn't supposedly discuss it with one of the leaders in the field I was hoping to enter. and I wouldn't think that posting about the idea on a public chat board gave me legal rights as the only person to pursue the idea.

T205 GB 06-04-2018 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bn2cardz (Post 1783502)
I will say that as I read through the page I kept thinking "This sounds just like what Andrew is trying to do". I do think the idea of scanning technology doing the grading has been around for a while. You were just the only one I heard saying they were going to do something about it.

I am pretty sure that the AI scanning tech has not been around more than 10 years in a format that anyone other than the Federal government had access to. I have talked with both the FBI Forensics lab and Facebook about their AI platforms some years back to see if I can get a base version with an open source for modification. It was not available for me or anyone else at the time.

Peter_Spaeth 06-04-2018 09:21 AM

What exactly do you think SGC stole/misappropriated from you?

T205 GB 06-04-2018 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedsFan1941 (Post 1783507)
if I had what I thought was a million dollar idea, I would not post about it on a public chat board. and i wouldn't supposedly discuss it with one of the leaders in the field I was hoping to enter. and I wouldn't think that posting about the idea on a public chat board gave me legal rights as the only person to pursue the idea.

Well good thing I did. The guy who invented the intermittent wiper had a hell of a time proving his idea before Ford stole it and that is the only way he finally got paid after he was drug through a divorce and the poorhouse for years.

Peter_Spaeth 06-04-2018 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T205 GB (Post 1783513)
Well good thing I did. The guy who invented the intermittent wiper had a hell of a time proving his idea before Ford stole it and that is the only way he finally got paid after he was drug through a divorce and the poorhouse for years.

He had patents, no?

bn2cardz 06-04-2018 09:37 AM

Speaking of patents, I do see that as of 2017 there is a Patent Pending for computer grading technology.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US20160210734A1/en