Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   March pick-ups!! (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=121318)

GKreindler 03-02-2010 09:20 AM

March pick-ups!!

Hey all,

I can't believe I'm actually starting this thread!!! I guess I was just so excited by my most recent reference purchase that I had to pull the trigger.

I won this baby off of a Legendary eBay auction a day or two ago:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...ler/s01055.jpg

The image is of Hank Greenberg before the top of the 4th inning during the 5th game of the 1940 World Series. He had hit a three-run homer into deep left field about ten minutes prior.

This was actually the original 4"x5" negative of a photo I fell in love with a while back. I think the first time I saw it was in Ken Burns' documentary, but I had never been able to track down a copy of any sorts. The image of any ballplayer tipping his cap to the crowd is just too Rockwellian for me to pass up!

Now, I'm hoping that the actual negative isn't as over-exposed as the scan, as I've seen the following Type 1 in one of Henry Yee's auctions:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...rg1940nice.jpg

I guess we'll see when it arrives! And 'yes', this will be a painting for darn sure.

Now, let's see yours!!

Graig

base_ball 03-02-2010 10:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I was lucky enough to get to a few games at Tiger Stadium. Pictures like that really make me miss it. There was nothing like hearing the crack of the bat in that place when the stands were near-empty.

Here's one of my latest acquisitions, a souvenir knife from the 1914 World Series. The Braves are on the other side. I've always thought it was neat and it doesn't turn up too often, and lawdy it'd better not be a fake, I pray.

frank461 03-02-2010 01:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Not exactly a March pickup as I found this interesting plaque from Yankee Stadium on EBAY about a month ago...anyone ever seen something like this before?

David Atkatz 03-02-2010 01:36 PM

Those markers were, I believe, set in the sidewalk around the Stadium.
If you ever decide to sell, please let me know!

frank461 03-02-2010 02:22 PM

Thanks very much for the info, David. I really appreciate it.

Frank

perezfan 03-02-2010 06:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Graig...
That Greenberg image is a stunner. Cannot wait to see ther impending masterpiece!

Joseph...
No worries on the A's/Braves Knife (it's real). I was watching that one for a long time, and had my finger on the trigger a couple of times. Never quite pulled it, so I am glad it went to a good home!

I was able to acquire this epic statue from Hunt's over the weekend.... it a genuine Muller Batter from 1868. One of the first baseball statues ever created, and a super rare piece. Being a collector of this figural stuff (and as rarely as these come along) I was praying to land either this one or the Pitcher, which I believe to be even more scarce. Apparently the participating bidders thought so too!

Some interesting prices realized at Hunts... some were very high, but lots of great deals as well. I know the dreadful weather probably kept some potential live bidders away. Any other Hunt winners- please post!

baseballart 03-02-2010 08:31 PM

Picked up this original cartoon from the February 10, 1911 Philadelphia Inquirer

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2752/...44ec39cd_o.jpg

from the ebay description

PRINT SIZE APPROX. 13" BY 17 1/4" DONE ON A HEAVY CARDBOARD. OVERALL WITH FRAME 15 1/4" BY 20"
Players and others featured include: CHIEF BENDER- HALL OF FAME PITCHER, AMOS STRUNK-OUTFIELDER, EDDIE GLENNON-MANAGER, PAT CLEARY & BILLY KLINK. Central Personage is CHARLES "CHARLIE" KAIER, founder of Kaier's Brewery in MAHANOY CITY, PA. Leading sponser of reception for Connie Mack. Signed by H. A. NASIUM, MAHANOY CITY.

BrockJacob 03-03-2010 12:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Nice shootin on the Muller statue Mark! It doesn't get much better than that.

Here is an early postcard from the Hall of Fame which shows the statues prominently displayed on the fireplace mantle.

perezfan 03-03-2010 12:32 PM

Very cool photo Brock. Interesting to see them on display "back in the day".
I wonder what they cost "new"
Thanks for posting!

Forever Young 03-04-2010 08:02 PM

1961 Photo Pennant

Picked this up...not sure if I overpaid at $140 or not, but I love the content and the condition.
Ben

http://i947.photobucket.com/albums/a...KSPENNANT1.jpg
http://i947.photobucket.com/albums/a...KSPENNANT2.jpg
http://i947.photobucket.com/albums/a...KSPENNANT3.jpg
http://i947.photobucket.com/albums/a...KSPENNANT4.jpg
http://i947.photobucket.com/albums/a...KSPENNANT5.jpg

Robbie 03-04-2010 11:40 PM

Hi Graig...

I have this photo of a young Willie Mays tipping his cap at a spring training game before the 1954 season. I thought you might enjoy seeing it.

Robert >>

mjkm90 03-05-2010 03:09 PM

Ben, That is a very nice piece for obvious reasons. The condition appears exceptional and that was a solid purchase at that price point. You did well...congrats.

mjkm90 03-05-2010 06:56 PM

Just received this and it looks great on the wall.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q...BLfeefvunw.jpg

thekingofclout 03-06-2010 07:04 AM

Good thing I don't smoke...

3 Attachment(s)
A splendid trio of high-grade glass ashtrays circa 1950's.

Attachment 15121Attachment 15122Attachment 15123

GKreindler 03-06-2010 10:01 AM

You're right, Robbie - I definitely want to see it!!

I just really love those kinds of shots. I feel like curtain calls are a dime a dozen these days, and for whatever reason, it just takes some of the poignancy away from the gesture.

And of course, back in the day, you'd see people like Ruth and Gehrig cross the plate after a home run, and tip their caps and smile to the crowd on the way back to the dugout. It's almost like they relished in the applause, and that they were so appreciative of the fans. I feel like you just don't see that kind of interaction nowadays. Then again, most ballparks are blasting music and fireworks after a home run, so I wouldn't be surprised if all of the screaming and cheering becomes inaudible.

I guess I just long for the days when these ballplayers seemed human and accessible. I just hope I'm not alone...

cbcbcb 03-06-2010 10:31 AM

Picked up this Phillies pennant.

http://i623.photobucket.com/albums/t...otos/fi104.jpg

perezfan 03-06-2010 02:00 PM

Nice pickup, Chris. That is a tough variation, and looks to be in fine condition.

Joe Hunter 03-06-2010 03:56 PM

March Pickups

1 Attachment(s)
Picked up this beautiful fringed Yankees pennant from fellow board member Mike H. off of the B/S/T. Friendly negotiations and flawless transaction. Not sure whether this is from the 1930's or 1955. In his pennant book, Mike Egner pictures a very similar fringed pennant with a 1955 date. There is also a similar 1930's pennant listed, but without the fringe. In either case, it is a great pennant.

thekingofclout 03-06-2010 06:11 PM

That pennant is a real beauty Joe. Congrats.

Robbie 03-06-2010 06:37 PM

Graig...

You are definitely not alone. Much of the sincere human touch has left the game.

Robert >>

perezfan 03-06-2010 06:49 PM

The Yankees Champs Pennant is a 1950s issue. It's a beauty... the only other pennant (I am aware of) with a fringe like that is the fantastic 1955 World Series Pennant.

Congrats on a great acquisition... just another example of how the B/S/T cannot be beat!

Scott Garner 03-06-2010 07:01 PM

This pickup could also be posted in the "my most prized possesion" thread...

1 Attachment(s)
I love this March pickup! My wife and I went on our very 1st date on August 18, 1989. Even though I'm originally from So Cal, I met my wife in the midwest. When we first got to know each other, it turned out that we both had a great love of baseball. Knowing that she was a die-hard Tigers fan, I thought that flying out to take her to a Tigers game was a great way to begin things when I first asked her out. On August 18th the home town Tigers stomped the visiting Yanks, and needless to say we had a great time. My biggest regret was that I never saved the tickets to this game. For years I have been searching for a replacement ticket stub. Through pure seredipity I stumbled on to the actual Tigers dugout card to this game (in HOF Sparky Anderson's hand) about a week ago. The cost- $17 delivered; the value-priceless! I plan on framing this with a plaque that is inscribed "Baby, this is where it all began..." I will be on giving this to her as one of her presents for our 20th wedding anniversary in May of this year.
Corny, but I love it!

thekingofclout 03-06-2010 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Garner (Post 788134)
I love this March pickup! My wife and I went on our very 1st date on August 18, 1989. Even though I'm originally from So Cal, I met my wife in the midwest. When we first got to know each other, it turned out that we both had a great love of baseball. Knowing that she was a die-hard Tigers fan, I thought that flying out to take her to a Tigers game was a great way to begin things when I first asked her out. On August 18th the home town Tigers stomped the visiting Yanks, and needless to say we had a great time. My biggest regret was that I never saved the tickets to this game. For years I have been searching for a replacement ticket stub. Through pure seredipity I stumbled on to the actual Tigers dugout card to this game (in HOF Sparky Anderson's hand) about a week ago. The cost- $17 delivered; the value-priceless! I plan on framing this with a plaque that is inscribed "Baby, this is where it all began..." I will be on giving this to her as one of her presents for our 20th wedding anniversary in May of this year.
Corny, but I love it!

What an incredible story Scott! Can't wait to hear her reaction. I would imagine tears will be involved...

Scott Garner 03-08-2010 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thekingofclout (Post 788146)
What an incredible story Scott! Can't wait to hear her reaction. I would imagine tears will be involved...

Jimmy,
I'll keep you posted.........

GrayGhost 03-08-2010 07:05 AM

Corny yes, but Priceless YES even more. Great idea Scott and I'm sure she will appreciate it. Best Wishes on many more years of happiness in your marriage.

Scott Garner 03-08-2010 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrayGhost (Post 788478)
Corny yes, but Priceless YES even more. Great idea Scott and I'm sure she will appreciate it. Best Wishes on many more years of happiness in your marriage.

Thanks Scott! I can't believe how fast the 1st 20 years went...

Chris Counts 03-08-2010 08:49 AM

Scott, that's a great story and a great pickup. That's also one of the weakest Yankees lineups I've ever seen with Mel Hall batting cleanup ...

Scott Garner 03-08-2010 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Counts (Post 788503)
Scott, that's a great story and a great pickup. That's also one of the weakest Yankees lineups I've ever seen with Mel Hall batting cleanup ...

Chris,
You are right, that was a pretty weak Yankees lineup. I remember that the Tigers went off on Yanks pitching, homering 5 times in the game. I looked it up and Lemon, Schu, ward, K. Williams and Bergman all homered for the Tigs. We were sitting in row 1 on the railing on the first base line right next to the Yankees bullpen. I still remember Goose Gossage coming in to eat up some innnings in relief. He was great to watch up close. It seemed to me that he was really bringing it. The sound of his fastball hitting the catchers mitt sounded like a gunshot. Whack!! Whack!! Good times!

jb217676 03-08-2010 09:15 PM

1974 McDonalds Fotoball

3 Attachment(s)
Got this fotorrific fotoball from forum member bobbvc. Many thanks and glad to own one!

Rob D. 03-10-2010 07:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Don't have it in hand yet, but it seems interesting:

D. Broughman 03-10-2010 08:39 AM

Rob I am wondering if the Cleveland City Council had a regular game each year with the Detroit Police and Cleveland Police. Check out the ball below and you will see why I think this is possible. Sept. 5, 1889 is there anything on the back? Thanks! D.

rc4157 03-10-2010 01:49 PM

Picked up this Vander Meer photo/auto from a friend, fits nicely with my Reds collection.
RC
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...VanderMeer.jpg

khkco4bls 03-10-2010 05:20 PM

cleveland city counsil pin

2 Attachment(s)
these are solid steel printers blocks from the turn of the century. the one all the way on the left is the block of the baseball scene on the pin.

matty39 03-10-2010 07:54 PM

1913 cravat

1 Attachment(s)
Won this last week but have not received it yet.

Rob D. 03-10-2010 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D. Broughman (Post 789165)
Rob I am wondering if the Cleveland City Council had a regular game each year with the Detroit Police and Cleveland Police. Check out the ball below and you will see why I think this is possible. Sept. 5, 1889 is there anything on the back? Thanks! D.

I'll give you a better description after I have the pin in hand.

thekingofclout 03-10-2010 09:54 PM

Significant 1954 Letter Regarding Roberto Clemente

2 Attachment(s)
At the age of 18, Clemente attended a tryout camp conducted by Brooklyn Dodgers scout and future general manager Al Campanis. Among 70 players, Clemente stood out. "He was the best free-agent athlete I have ever seen," Campanis recalled.

After playing with Santurce in the Puerto Rican winter league, Clemente signed with the Dodgers for a $10,000 bonus and a $5,000 salary. He played in 1954 with the Dodgers' Montreal farm club. But when Brooklyn didn't protect him on its roster, the Pirates selected Clemente as the first selection of the rookie draft that took place on November 22, 1954.

On November 23, 1954 Mr. Harold G. Roettger, assistant to the President of the Pirates sent this letter to Mr. Phillip Piton, Ass't to Pres. on the NAPBL.

Attachment 15333

The response from the NAPBL...

Attachment 15334

Being a huge lifetime Clemente fan, I consider this one of the most important finds I've made

GrayGhost 03-11-2010 04:46 AM

GREAT find Jimmy, Id kill for that one..haha. One of the three guys IMO who really changed Baseball, along w Babe and of course Jackie.

3and2 03-11-2010 04:47 AM

Jimmy,

Sweet pick up. I just love this sight, I learn something new everyday. I never knew Clemente played for the '54 Dodger's farm team. Congratulations!

Scott Garner 03-11-2010 04:49 AM

Clemente letter

Great find there Jimmy! Congrats on your pickup!

Forever Young 03-11-2010 08:27 AM

dude

Quote:

Originally Posted by thekingofclout (Post 789325)
At the age of 18, Clemente attended a tryout camp conducted by Brooklyn Dodgers scout and future general manager Al Campanis. Among 70 players, Clemente stood out. "He was the best free-agent athlete I have ever seen," Campanis recalled.

After playing with Santurce in the Puerto Rican winter league, Clemente signed with the Dodgers for a $10,000 bonus and a $5,000 salary. He played in 1954 with the Dodgers' Montreal farm club. But when Brooklyn didn't protect him on its roster, the Pirates selected Clemente as the first selection of the rookie draft that took place on November 22, 1954.

On November 23, 1954 Mr. Harold G. Roettger, assistant to the President of the Pirates sent this letter to Mr. Phillip Piton, Ass't to Pres. on the NAPBL.

Attachment 15333

The response from the NAPBL...

Attachment 15334

Being a huge lifetime Clemente fan, I consider this one of the most important finds I've made

---------------------
Now this is sweet! Good show!

HRBAKER 03-11-2010 05:58 PM

HR Baker photo

A Type Something or Someother
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s...Bakerphoto.jpg

baseball tourist 03-11-2010 06:09 PM

19th Century Items

2 Attachment(s)
Picked up a couple of a interesting late 1800's paper items - 1893 issue of "The Reliable Book of Outdoor Games" by Henry Chadwick and an 1899 hanging Base Ball ticket from an unknown (town?) game.

thekingofclout 03-12-2010 05:22 AM

Thanks goes out to Scott, Anthony, Scott G. and Ben for their nice comments regarding the 1954 Clemente Letter. Much appreciated.

Best, Jimmy

Jantz 03-12-2010 10:32 AM

Nice photo Jeff!

HRBAKER 03-12-2010 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jantz (Post 789690)
Nice photo Jeff!

Thanks. Wouldn't you love to have one of those sweaters?

b.heagy 03-12-2010 03:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Very happy with this find. Branch Rickey Official League ball signed by 12 members of the 1932 Cardinals. Frisch, Watkins, Wares, Street, Hallahan, Flowers, Stout, Bottomley, Collins, Gelbert, Gonzalez and Holm. My first Rickey Ball - would love to find out more about the ball itself.

GrayGhost 03-13-2010 05:19 AM

How do they enforce the 36 Inning guarantee?:p

Seriously, great ball. Once again, this hobby is the greatest, and its so cool seeing all the different things people collect/desire.

GrayGhost 03-13-2010 08:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm not a Cardinals fan, just loved this when I saw it on the bay. Dont have it yet, but heres a picture:

HRBAKER 03-13-2010 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrayGhost (Post 789886)
I'm not a Cardinals fan, just loved this when I saw it on the bay. Dont have it yet, but heres a picture:

I am a Cardinals fan and I wouls say so was the person who had this attached to their vehicle. Nice piece!

GrayGhost 03-13-2010 10:34 AM

Yeah, story I got was the guys Grandfather had it nailed to his shed for years, thus the wear and small hole in center. I have no reason to doubt that story. Cant wait to get this!