Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Stadium ID and autograph help requested (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=224360)

frankbmd 06-22-2016 09:21 AM

Stadium ID and autograph help requested

2 Attachment(s)
I recently acquired this RDP (Real Digital Photo) and autograph.

I need help with both the identification of the stadium and authenticity of the Kershaw auto.

The stadium looks like Dodger Stadium, but the presence of Jackie Robinson bothers me, as he retired when the Dodgers were still in Brooklyn and never played in Chavez Ravine. Of course there was advertising on the outfield walls at Ebbets Field as there is in this photo. I seem to remember though that Dodger Stadium had no advertising on the outfield walls back in the eighties. I am posting here because I have no expertise in the evaluation of Jackie's ear in this photo. Could this be an imposter? Please help.

The Kershaw auto is readily identified by the printed text, but both the ball and the auto just don't seem right. The texture of the ball is too smooth and it seems somewhat inflated. I have also never seen a Sharpie large enough to render an autograph that size, and if one exists could Kershaw wield it. I'm going with no good on the auto.

(Expecting to hear from Ullman in minutes that this thread is posted in the wrong section.:D)

DaClyde 06-22-2016 03:54 PM

Is that Joe Jackson out in left field?

Mark17 06-22-2016 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaClyde (Post 1553801)
Is that Joe Jackson out in left field?

Is that Tom Thumb's daughter standing next to the baseball?

rgpete 06-22-2016 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 1553723)

I need help with both the identification of the stadium and authenticity of the Kershaw auto.

The stadium looks like Dodger Stadium, but the presence of Jackie Robinson bothers me, as he retired when the Dodgers were still in Brooklyn and never played in Chavez Ravine. Of course there was advertising on the outfield walls at Ebbets Field as there is in this photo. I seem to remember though that Dodger Stadium had no advertising on the outfield walls back in the eighties. I am posting here because I have no expertise in the evaluation of Jackie's ear in this photo. Could this be an imposter? Please help.

The Kershaw auto is readily identified by the printed text, but both the ball and the auto just don't seem right. The texture of the ball is too smooth and it seems somewhat inflated. I have also never seen a Sharpie large enough to render an autograph that size, and if one exists could Kershaw wield it. I'm going with no good on the auto.

(Expecting to hear from Ullman in minutes that this thread is posted in the wrong section.:D)

Thats Chavez Ravine

xplainer 06-22-2016 04:47 PM

That is Park Jarry - Montreal. JR played there, and this is probably a JR night for the Expos.

Please note the "We love LA" signs? French for "The". That was his nickname in the minors. Allen Iverson later added "Answer" to create his nickname. La Response.

Also, the unrelated Kershaw auto is real. While he is a great pitcher, his balls are always inflated in Los Angeles.

Dewey 06-22-2016 04:49 PM

Autopen

Rookiemonster 06-22-2016 04:51 PM

Looks legit ! Nice pick up bro!

Cliff Bowman 06-22-2016 05:41 PM

Kershaw has a brutal autograph, if that is how he normally signs.

icollectDCsports 06-22-2016 05:59 PM

Churchill Downs

Aquarian Sports Cards 06-22-2016 08:03 PM

I don't even...

frankbmd 06-22-2016 08:07 PM

Still waiting to hear from an "ear guy".;)

horzverti 06-22-2016 09:18 PM

Hahahaha

Frank is the best! :):)

edjs 06-22-2016 09:56 PM

Perplexing. The dugout cover says "Adium" which made me think "Latin? Must be Rome, they do worship baseball in Italy". But then right next to that, there is something written in Chinese? So maybe Beijing, they also love baseball in China. San Manuel is on a sign in the outfield, so Mexico? But there, right there, it says Fly Emirates. But it can't be the UAE, no beer there, so how to explain the Budweiser sign? I know I have seen that stadium somewhere, but since I have been in everyone of those places, including this very stadium, I just can't figure out which one it was. Sorry, Frank, I really tried.

4815162342 06-22-2016 10:30 PM

I'm pretty sure that the first photo is a still from Field of Dreams 2, while the second photo depicts a contemporary Lilliputian.

kmac32 06-24-2016 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 1553723)

Frank,

I believe that is a lady of asian decent packing one of Kershaw's balls