Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Centered? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=268622)

Throttlesteer 05-03-2019 03:18 PM

Centered?

First off, I'll say this is a really nice card. That being said, WTF constitutes for "centered" these days? I'm willing to give someone 60/40 even.......but this is a bit silly.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/T206-Cy-You...cAAOSw~LpcdCJx

I apologize if this is a board member's card. But I kind of doubt it, given the title.

ullmandds 05-03-2019 03:19 PM

that cy is NOT CENTERED!!!!!

Peter_Spaeth 05-03-2019 03:21 PM

Just keyword spamming given the craze. I am sure the seller knows it isn't centered.

AGuinness 05-03-2019 03:33 PM

With all the talk of PWCC's various letter codes, I think stuff like this is worse because the card just isn't centered. And it happens a lot, on eBay and elsewhere...

prestigecollectibles 05-03-2019 03:33 PM

The card looks centered in the holder :D

Peter_Spaeth 05-03-2019 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AGuinness (Post 1874847)
With all the talk of PWCC's various letter codes, I think stuff like this is worse because the card just isn't centered. And it happens a lot, on eBay and elsewhere...

yeah but it's harmless, everyone can see the centering
just sales talk

AGuinness 05-03-2019 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1874851)
yeah but it's harmless, everyone can see the centering
just sales talk

It's ALL really harmless sales talk, and while I don't shop PWCC stuff, especially the high priced stuff that gets letters added like it has a degree, I'm guessing at least those cards have a chance to live up to the hype. Describing a card like this as "centered" is just laughable, unless that adjective is preceded by "not."
If I'm in the market for a card, I might click on something that is described as "centered," but I pay no mind to any "X3JDKD" or whatever acronym a seller comes up with. I'd expect it be, you know, centered.

Peter_Spaeth 05-03-2019 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AGuinness (Post 1874853)
It's ALL really harmless sales talk, and while I don't shop PWCC stuff, especially the high priced stuff that gets letters added like it has a degree, I'm guessing at least those cards have a chance to live up to the hype. Describing a card like this as "centered" is just laughable, unless that adjective is preceded by "not."
If I'm in the market for a card, I might click on something that is described as "centered," but I pay no mind to any "X3JDKD" or whatever acronym a seller comes up with. I'd expect it be, you know, centered.

Yeah but you're not going to pay more for it because someone SAYS it's centered when it isn't. People clearly do pay more for stickered cards, on the other hand.

AGuinness 05-03-2019 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1874857)
Yeah but you're not going to pay more for it because someone SAYS it's centered when it isn't. People clearly do pay more for stickered cards, on the other hand.

Yes on the first part. But do people pay more because the cards are stickered, or does PWCC do a good hob of identifying cards that are strong for the grade (thereby commanding a higher price)? I don’t think there’s evidence to prove which one is accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peter_Spaeth 05-03-2019 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AGuinness (Post 1874858)
Yes on the first part. But do people pay more because the cards are stickered, or does PWCC do a good hob of identifying cards that are strong for the grade (thereby commanding a higher price)? I don’t think there’s evidence to prove which one is accurate.

Given the huge premiums I've seen, I would say at least in part it's the stickers. I've sold very high end for the grade cards on ebay and they don't do squat. And I've seen PWCC stickered cards that I felt were unworthy of any special sticker go very high.

JollyElm 05-03-2019 04:12 PM

Come on, guys, take it easy on the seller. He is clearly pointing to the fact that Cy Young himself is centered, you know, focused, intense. That's all it is. :cool:

AGuinness 05-03-2019 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1874859)
Given the huge premiums I've seen, I would say at least in part it's the stickers. I've sold very high end for the grade cards on ebay and they don't do squat. And I've seen PWCC stickered cards that I felt were unworthy of any special sticker go very high.

I guess I’m not ready to claim causality, as there are other factors (including the number of people PWCC has in its network).

AGuinness 05-03-2019 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyElm (Post 1874861)
Come on, guys, take it easy on the seller. He is clearly pointing to the fact that Cy Young himself is centered, you know, focused, intense. That's all it is. :cool:

As opposed to Mark Fidrych, perhaps?

Peter_Spaeth 05-03-2019 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AGuinness (Post 1874865)
I guess I’m not ready to claim causality, as there are other factors (including the number of people PWCC has in its network).

Well you can't do a controlled study, so you can only go with what evidence is out there. I think it's pretty clear but in the end I couldn't prove it to you. But I am guessing the very reason Brent does it is because he too thinks it raises hammer prices.

Promethius88 05-03-2019 07:58 PM

The flip is well centered.

todeen 05-03-2019 08:16 PM

Does centered only count for left-to-right? Because I think the centering top-to-bottom is fairly nice. I would agree that there is vertical centering on this card.

Leon 05-04-2019 07:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by todeen (Post 1874933)
Does centered only count for left-to-right? Because I think the centering top-to-bottom is fairly nice. I would agree that there is vertical centering on this card.

A glass half full guy/girl right here, folks. Isn't it time for a well centered card to be shown?

Peter_Spaeth 05-04-2019 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1875005)
A glass half full guy/girl right here, folks. Isn't it time for a well centered card to be shown?

It's the new E90-1 Young!! Great card, I've never understood why that issue, and the 4 on 1 Exhibits, get so little love.

vintagebaseballcardguy 05-04-2019 12:07 PM

What do you guys think about these two examples? As you can see, one has been deemed in the " top 15% " by a particular seller that is being discussed. I am actually inclined toward the other one. A little extra bottom border bothers me not.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...49ae972e57.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...940f0b7175.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

ullmandds 05-04-2019 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy (Post 1875073)
What do you guys think about these two examples? I am inclined to be happy with either, but I wondered how you guys see them?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...49ae972e57.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...940f0b7175.jpg

Centering isnt so black and white on tobacco/caramel sized issues imo. Some people prefer a larger lower border than others... as compared to even borders all around.

vintagebaseballcardguy 05-04-2019 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1875075)
Centering isnt so black and white on tobacco/caramel sized issues imp. Some people prefer a larger lower border than others... as compared to even borders all around.

I was actually editing my post to say just that when you replied. I agree.

ullmandds 05-04-2019 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy (Post 1875076)
i was actually editing my post to say just that when you replied. I agree.

Sent from my sm-g960u using tapatalk

👍🏿

todeen 05-04-2019 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1875005)

I agree your example is dead center, or even as you say well centered. The title doesn't say dead centered, it just says centered, and in the context of centered top/ bottom the seller isn't lying. Now if the picture was completely shoved into one corner, there would neither be centering top/ bottom, nor left/ right. And that would be a lie. Would this example receive a qualifying mark of OC? Yes, because that's undeniable. Is the seller being deceptive, that's debatable; it's allowing him to hit more tags and I don't see anything wrong with that. The seller is trying to get as many views as possible. Hopefully buyers preview pictures before purchasing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Leon 05-04-2019 03:04 PM

It gets your desired effect but irks me because the card isn't centered. lt is more like off centered. If it said half centered then I would be ok with it. :cool:

Quote:

Originally Posted by todeen (Post 1875101)
I agree your example is dead center, or even as you say well centered. The title doesn't say dead centered, it just says centered, and in the context of centered top/ bottom the seller isn't lying. Now if the picture was completely shoved into one corner, there would neither be centering top/ bottom, nor left/ right. And that would be a lie. Would this example receive a qualifying mark of OC? Yes, because that's undeniable. Is the seller being deceptive, that's debatable; it's allowing him to hit more tags and I don't see anything wrong with that. The seller is trying to get as many views as possible. Hopefully buyers preview pictures before purchasing.

todeen 05-04-2019 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1875120)
It gets your desired effect but irks me because the card isn't centered. lt is more like off centered. If it said half centered then I would be ok with it. :cool:

I look at it like this: I want to buy Tris Speaker cards. I have many examples before me, and I want to get the best one that I can afford. There is horizontal centering, and vertical centering. If I have the money, I will ignore cards that are off centered in both categories. Then I am left with options that are centered one way, but not the other. But I do like your term half centered.

My dad was in sales, and it was always about closing the deal. If this seller needs to say centered to close the deal, than do it.

Leon 05-05-2019 12:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by todeen (Post 1875179)
I look at it like this: I want to buy Tris Speaker cards. I have many examples before me, and I want to get the best one that I can afford. There is horizontal centering, and vertical centering. If I have the money, I will ignore cards that are off centered in both categories. Then I am left with options that are centered one way, but not the other. But I do like your term half centered.

My dad was in sales, and it was always about closing the deal. If this seller needs to say centered to close the deal, than do it.

I agree it is good to close the sale. But it is better to close the sale and form long relationships based on reality and trust. Before I got this gig I was in outside IT sales for a little over 20 yrs, straight commission. If I misled my customers they wouldn't have come back to me. I had several customers for close to 20 yrs when I got out of the industry. But to each their own I guess. Descriptions can still irk me though :).
Here is one, shown many times, that is well centered but I doubt I would call it perfectly centered.
ps...on the 2 Chases, above, even though I like those big bottom borders I like the other one a little better. There is no right or wrong answer on that one.
l

pokerplyr80 05-05-2019 01:15 PM

Anyone can tell if a card is centered or not. Lying about something obvious is not salesmanship in my opinion. If someone can't be honest about what is clearly visible in a scan what else will they lie about? I would avoid a seller like this.

Leon 05-09-2019 02:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I don't avoid them altogether., As long as they have good pics it isn't a big deal. I's fun to lament about it. Here is a group of fairly well centered W575-1s that came out of a pack.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 (Post 1875330)
Anyone can tell if a card is centered or not. Lying about something obvious is not salesmanship in my opinion. If someone can't be honest about what is clearly visible in a scan what else will they lie about? I would avoid a seller like this.