Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   RIP: Bill Buckner (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=269466)

clydepepper 05-27-2019 12:09 PM

RIP: Bill Buckner

He deserved better.

Peter_Spaeth 05-27-2019 12:17 PM

Awful. Jesus.

vintagebaseballcardguy 05-27-2019 09:02 PM

A ton of good memories watching this guy in the 80s when I was growing up. RIP...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

barrysloate 05-28-2019 04:29 AM

A great baseball player who finished 66th on the career hit list, won a batting title, and never struck out three times in a game. But sadly best remembered for one terrible moment in an otherwise accomplished career.

I was fortunate to be at game 6, still and forever more the best baseball game I will ever see in person, and saw the ball go through his legs from behind-my seats were in short right field so I saw only his back when he leaned over to field it. That's an angle you never see on tape.

A decent man who deserved better. RIP

Snapolit1 05-28-2019 02:46 PM

Yeah, terrible but he handled it very classy. Wasn't tormented by it. Nice example of how to deal with adversity in life.
Bottom line was he was probably not beating Mookie to the bag anyway.

Peter_Spaeth 05-28-2019 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 1881933)
Yeah, terrible but he handled it very classy. Wasn't tormented by it. Nice example of how to deal with adversity in life.

He shouldn't have been in the game at that point even. Poor managing.

Did the Red Sox just need one more strike twice, or was it three times, I've repressed it.

clydepepper 05-29-2019 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1882057)
He shouldn't have been in the game at that point even. Poor managing.

Did the Red Sox just need one more strike twice, or was it three times, I've repressed it.

It was...one more strike

I have two books on it, 'One Strike Away' and 'One Pitch Away'.

I guess I should read them eventually. :rolleyes:

nolemmings 05-29-2019 12:08 PM

It was one more strike...multiple times. Several on Mookie Wilson alone, although at some point in his AB the game had tied on that botched pitch. As one whose hatred of the Red Sox has always been palpable, I enjoyed the end of that game with unimaginable joy (but convinced my hopes would be crushed in Game 7). Was tickled further hearing that Stanley and Gedman "disagreed" as to who was responsible for what was scored as a wild pitch.

I always liked Buckner before he got to Boston. The game was not managed well by either skipper, but Peter, how do you not have Billy Buck out there for the wrap-up and celebration?

Cliff Bowman 05-29-2019 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1882057)

The answer is four. I watched the unedited top of the 10th inning on YouTube, after two outs Gary Carter and Kevin Mitchell didn't get to two strikes, Ray Knight singled on the first pitch once he got to two strikes, Mookie Wilson fouled off two straight pitches once he got to two strikes, and then on the following third pitch Bob Stanley threw the wild pitch to tie the game. ETA: oops, I mean the bottom of the 10th inning.

Peter_Spaeth 05-29-2019 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolemmings (Post 1882268)
It was one more strike...multiple times. Several on Mookie Wilson alone, although at some point in his AB the game had tied on that botched pitch. As one whose hatred of the Red Sox has always been palpable, I enjoyed the end of that game with unimaginable joy (but convinced my hopes would be crushed in Game 7). Was tickled further hearing that Stanley and Gedman "disagreed" as to who was responsible for what was scored as a wild pitch.

I always liked Buckner before he got to Boston. The game was not managed well by either skipper, but Peter, how do you not have Billy Buck out there for the wrap-up and celebration?

I was the opposite, after game 6 and even with the lead in game 7 I had zero hope. Fate had shown its hand. The wild pitch and the Buckner error in that quick succession, that was Fate.

steve B 06-02-2019 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 1881933)

He was for a while. He moved out of the area because of how it affected his family.
But he never really let that show publicly.

steve B 06-02-2019 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1882494)
I was the opposite, after game 6 and even with the lead in game 7 I had zero hope. Fate had shown its hand. The wild pitch and the Buckner error in that quick succession, that was Fate.

That fatalism is a great way to spot a long time Boston sports fan. Especially fans of the Sox. And I think a couple of the players from 2004 were right, that attitude soaked into everywhere and caused loads of trouble.
After all, it wasn't if something would go wrong, it was wondering exactly what would go wrong.

When they beat NY in 04, the announcer said it was the worst collapse in sports history. I turned to my wife and not even joking said "well, that's one more thing they've taken from us"
A week later everything changed.