Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Contacts at the Hall of Fame? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=81923)

Archive 08-13-2006 12:35 PM

Contacts at the Hall of Fame?

Posted By: <b>Hal Lewis</b><p>Does anyone here have any good contacts at the HOF?<br /><br />After visiting for the first time this week and seeing their displays, I would like to discuss donating some items.<br /><br />Please let me know. Thanks!

Archive 08-13-2006 01:17 PM

Posted By: <b>john/z28jd</b><p> I wear glasses but i guess since i need a new prescription by now, wearing good contacts would make me want to donate something too.

Archive 08-13-2006 01:27 PM

Posted By: <b>Jay</b><p>Hal--I would suggest contacting Jane Forbes Clark's office. She is the Chairman of the Board and I'm sure her office could direct you to the right person.

Archive 08-13-2006 01:30 PM

Posted By: <b>Jeff O</b><p>Tom Shieber is a SABR member and a real class act. I went out to lunch with him last time I visited the Hall (seven long years ago...). I believe he is now the Curator for New Media, so he would likely be a great contact. I don't have an email for him handy, but you should be able to get a hold of him through the Hall.<br /><br />His specialty is baseball photos and photo identification.<br /><br />Jeff

Archive 08-13-2006 01:40 PM

Posted By: <b>Rick</b><p>Would be feasible to have a sport cards museum?<br /><br />Would enough people visit?<br /><br />It would be great if such museum existed...maybe non profit...just enough money from donations and admissions to pay for rent and a few employes?<br /><br /><br /><br />

Archive 08-13-2006 04:11 PM

Posted By: <b>Bruce Babcock</b><p>Tom Shieber. A good guy. We had some dealings when the HOF decided to use a recording of an arrangment of mine for brass band of "The Red Stockings March" in their 19th century wing.<br /><br />As far as card museums go, there is one in Los Angeles which I never knew about. It's private, quite large and simply jaw dropping. The Mastro guys took two busloads of us there during the National. Cards, bats, balls, uniforms, ad pieces. Quite a bit of football as well. A collection worth millions. I'm sure insurance and and security are big issues - and expenses. One of my fellow forum members will remember the name of the owner of the collection.<br /><br />One of my friends, Mike Piller, had a showing at the Los Angeles Museum of Natural History for several weeks 10-12 years ago. Tremendous high end examples of mainstream issues, mostly 1910-1960s. All ungraded. He hired two guys from a local card shop to curate it for him. I don't think the general public turned out in great numbers.

Archive 08-13-2006 04:12 PM

Posted By: <b>davidcycleback</b><p>Below is the personal website of the webmaster for the HOF. He probably has an email there.<br /><br /><a href="http://www.danholmes.com" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://www.danholmes.com</a>

Archive 08-13-2006 06:01 PM

Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>The museum belongs to Gary Cypres. He is one of the hobby's super people.

Archive 08-13-2006 09:01 PM

Posted By: <b>Rick</b><p>does he have a website?

Archive 08-14-2006 07:05 AM

Posted By: <b>Hal Lewis</b><p>any others?

Archive 08-14-2006 07:20 AM

Posted By: <b>Ted Zanidakis</b><p>Hal<br /><br />For many years, my contact with the HOF was a fellow avid BB card collector, Don Howard.<br />However, I haven't seen him in a year, or so. I believe he has retired from his position with<br />the HOF. He certainly had more of an appreciation for our kind of stuff, and its significance<br /> to the HOF. Whereas, I'm sure the current "bigwigs" do not.<br /><br />If I can contact him, I will email you and you can take it from there.<br /><br />T-Rex Ted

Archive 08-14-2006 07:41 AM

Posted By: <b>Frank Wakefield</b><p>Hal.<br /><br />I suggest you not donate anything to the National Baseball Museum.<br /><br />Years ago I obtained a baseball contract, it was for Pepper Martin, for him to play for the St. Louis Cardinals. His 1934 contract. Pepper Martin's Gasehouse Gang contract. When I opened the box and held it, I got goosebumps. I called the fellow who sold it, a name most of us know and trust, and he was concerned that I'd called, fearing something was amiss. I told him how great it was, how happy I was, and that maybe I should send it to Cooperstown.<br /><br />He paused for a long time, and then said, "Frank, please don't do that. The Hall of Fame has lots of stuff, too much stuff. If you give that contract to them, it will end up in a box in the basement, and might be seen rarely if at all. If you keep the contract, you can show it to people, so they can share in the excitement of seeing it."<br /><br />I believed what Mr. Lipset told me that day. And I now have the contract on loan to The St. Louis Baseball Hall of Fame, along with Ernie Orsatti's bat, a 1934 game 7 WS ticket, and some other stuff. The stuff has been there for years. The Curator is a really nice, careful lady, my stuff is safe with her, and thousands of people see the items each year. <br /><br />So Hal, please retain ownership, and at worst loan items for display. And if the National Baseball Museum won't display the stuff, look around for other places. I had a bunch of cards on display a few years ago at the Louisville Slugger Museum. I think Lew was right, though. And I think he still is.<br /><br />Frank W.

Archive 08-14-2006 09:48 AM

Posted By: <b>Ted Zanidakis</b><p>HAL<br /><br />A big....DITTO....to what Frank W. just very elaborately said. He is absolutely<br />telling you how it really is.<br /><br />It will take more effort, but if you can find the little (or big) town museums<br /> associated with items you want to donate or lend; you will find the curator<br /> and the people there much more appreciative.<br /><br />I have donated items to a couple such museums and derived a certain sense<br /> of satisfaction that they were in the right hands. I received official letters of<br /> appreciation and when I visited these museums was met with very friendly<br />and very cordial greetings.

Archive 08-14-2006 01:39 PM

Posted By: <b>davidcycleback</b><p>A non-blood related relative of mine has the uniforms and glove<br />of his dad who played in the minors in Wisconsin and down south<br />circa 1910s-30s. While obviously the material wasn't suitable for Cooperstown,<br />I told him that the local small town museusms, historical<br />societies or colleges from where his dad played would likely love to display <br />the uniforms, and they'd probably be displayed front and center.<br /><br />I sent him a copy of the 'The Glove Collector,' a quarterly newsletter by<br />baseball glove guru Joe Phillips, and my relative said he didn't realize<br />people collected that kind of stuff.